• 1 Post By timatoe
  • 1 Post By 87TPIYJ
  • 1 Post By Rick_Fury

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Rick_Fury

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Small Full-Door Mirrors

What is everyone's opinion of the small mirrors found on the 1987 - 1993 YJ Wrangler with full doors?

I have a 1998 Wrangler TJ with full hard doors, and I have always disliked the rather large stock mirrors. I was thinking about putting a set of the small mirrors on it.

If you have them, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Jmkaiser

I’m not sure if these are the mirror style your talking about but this is my 95 and I like the size but can definitely say when the mirrors are moved forward for when I have the doors off I wish they were bigger cause the passenger one is pretty bunch useless. I’ve thought about changing it to a rounded mirror to be able to make it useful but they aren’t the best looking.
Attached Thumbnails
DF4F3FC7-4C72-4865-8637-F5C13C0091DB_1568075881602.jpg  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I disliked them. They are small and way down there. About have to do an exorcist hear rotation to use them.
I removed them and welded the holes closed and repainted the doors. The I went with old CJ mirrors who I already knew I liked on my CJ.
Same mirrors doors on, doors off. Don't have to crane my neck to the side to see.
Boojo35 likes this.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place

post #4 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My opinion, since you asked - I would never in a million years swap to a smaller mirror. Does not compute.
timatoe, Boojo35, sptrmike and 1 others like this.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 09:13 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have 'em on mine and they're better than nothing. I like that I rarely bang into my mirrors when I'm walking past them in the dark and that they rarely snag on branches, but aside from that I'd prefer to have the larger mirrors. They do show more of what is behind you.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 09:16 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I liked them so much, I took them off and welded the screw holes shut, drilled and tapped the hinges and put the '95+ mirrors on them.

Yeah, I hated them never understood why they thought that dinky little mirror was sufficient.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I liked them so much, I took them off and welded the screw holes shut, drilled and tapped the hinges and put the '95+ mirrors on them.

Yeah, I hated them never understood why they thought that dinky little mirror was sufficient.
Look up there^ I did that too!
They SUCKED. Both size and placement.

I'm surprised more people don't use old CJ mirrors. I can watch my rear tires clear obstacles and watch for cops behind me without turning my head.

And I don't have to screw around when my doors are off... all summer.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #8 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 03:45 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
IMO the late model TJ mirrors are the best (03+?). Smaller and are adjustable INSIDE the housing. Thats the route I would go.
bpounds likes this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post

Look up there^ I did that too!
They SUCKED. Both size and placement.

I'm surprised more people don't use old CJ mirrors. I can watch my rear tires clear obstacles and watch for cops behind me without turning my head.

And I don't have to screw around when my doors are off... all summer.
I would. But the refashioned ones suck. I need to pull them off an actual CJ if I would convert.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll look up some part outs, though the ones I have found are always missing those mirrors. Goes to show you how valuably coveted they really are.

Truth be told, I dont even use mirrors... I'm an over the shoulder guy. But those CJ mirrors are actually useful and do look great.

I am with Chris on this..

All that said... I prefer the 95 mirrors (and have an extra set from OEM) relocated to windshield hinges than those dinky looking things, even if the passenger side is completely and utterly useless (again, over the shoulder guy)

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
I would. But the refashioned ones suck. I need to pull them off an actual CJ if I would convert.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll look up some part outs, though the ones I have found are always missing those mirrors. Goes to show you how valuably coveted they really are.

Truth be told, I dont even use mirrors... I'm an over the shoulder guy. But those CJ mirrors are actually useful and do look great.

I am with Chris on this..

All that said... I prefer the 95 mirrors (and have an extra set from OEM) relocated to windshield hinges than those dinky looking things, even if the passenger side is completely and utterly useless (again, over the shoulder guy)
You're 100% right.
Repop CJ mirrors are not as good as the real factory ones. They are flimsier.
I got real ones off ebay pretty cheap. They were complete but weathered.
I stripped and painted them. Repop mirror heads are fine, it's the hardware that needs to be used OEM.

I use a convex on the right side. It's a big convex so distortion in minimal.
Freeway speeds are not a problem.

CJ mirrors are for real Jeep people. What I mean, they work equally well doors on, doors off, windshield up, windshield down.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 08:28 AM
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Like what was already mentioned, CJ mirrors. They stay on even with doors off, not too big and are cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
20181203_154739_1568125623216.jpg  

Adopt-a-Trail Volunteer SBNF 3N17
YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #12 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Rick_Fury

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate all of your opinions.

I am a 1970s/1980s guy, and that era of vehicles always had small mirrors. So that is what I am used to, I guess. Ever since I got this TJ, I have always felt the mirrors were too large. The redesigned 2003 mirrors are even larger. When I look at my Jeep, all I see is big dumbo mirrors.
Chrisnvegas likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Fury View Post
When I look at my Jeep, all I see is big dumbo mirrors.
tell ya what... i can help you out. Give me your jeep, you can even keep the dumbo mirrors so that when you look at your jeep and all you see is dumbo mirrors, well at least it will not be an illusion anymore

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in