Slave Stalling it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Slave Stalling it?

my slave is leaking at the bell housing. I have had to add fluid to keep driving it. Even with adding fluid its not acting the same, shifting hard. but now sometimes the jeep stalls when I have the clutch engaged and am braking. Could it not be disengaging the clutch all the way and that's why I am stalling out? its only when the clutch is engaged, the tranny is in gear and I am slowing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
my slave is leaking at the bell housing. I have had to add fluid to keep driving it. Even with adding fluid its not acting the same, shifting hard. but now sometimes the jeep stalls when I have the clutch engaged and am braking. Could it not be disengaging the clutch all the way and that's why I am stalling out? its only when the clutch is engaged, the tranny is in gear and I am slowing down
are you bleeding it too? I had the same issue as you, my slave was leaking bad and I was just keeping the level up and driving it. I got to a point where I would drive across town and need to top it off again and then bleed it, then top it off again. When my level got low, pushing in the clutch at a stop light, the vehicle would still move, so I got into the habit of taking it out of gear before I stopped and then when the light turned green, I would usually have to pump the pedal to get it into gear. You won't be able to nurse it along very long like that though, once it starts leaking, it will gradually leak worse and worse. It's a good idea to replace the mast and slave together even if the master isn't bad, because of the added work you are putting on the master with the slave being bad. Of course this all depends on the money have.

Just remember, pump the pedal going into gear at start and pump the pedal going out of gear when coming to a stop, that will help for a little while anyway.

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

What newer Tranny's will work that have an external slave?

Quote:

post #4 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
you already have a good transmission, the ax-15 is very good, the nv3550 is better, but if I were you I would just convert your slave to external. There is a writeup in the faq's on how to do that.

The ax-15 went to external slave in 94

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 AM
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm right in the middle of converting my '90 to external slave. '94-'02 are supposed to be the parts you are looking for. I found the whole works (bell, fork, slave, throwout bearing, front tranny bearing cover, clips and line for $75 at a bone yard.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
post #6 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
I'm right in the middle of converting my '90 to external slave. '94-'02 are supposed to be the parts you are looking for. I found the whole works (bell, fork, slave, throwout bearing, front tranny bearing cover, clips and line for $75 at a bone yard.
don't you have to get a different bellhousing too?

post #7 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

this sounds like something over my head. I will start gather parts this weekend!

Wouldn't it be easier to grab a 94-95 AX-15? Cherokees are a dime a dozen at the pick-a-parts.

Quote:
post #8 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
this sounds like something over my head. I will start gather parts this weekend!

Wouldn't it be easier to grab a 94-95 AX-15? Cherokees are a dime a dozen at the pick-a-parts.
of course it would. The thing you will have to do is get the correct pilot bearing/bushing and the correct input gear, which I believe you should already have, depending on length. The swap itself from an internal slave to an external slave is really easy, look at the writeup. Also, cherokees are clocked, so you would have to drill new holes on your tranny to adjust the clocking where the tranny mounts to the transfer case, it's ten degress different and again very easy to do.

If you're not sure what you need call advance adapters or Novak, tell them what engine you have and what year tranny and where it came from, they can tell you exactly what you need. There is also a ton of info on Novak's website about doing these conversions.

honestly the biggest problem I have had was getting the skidplate off.

post #9 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

the Cherokee transmissions have the transfer case clocked differently, and require redrilling of the 6 mounting holes. The transmission isn't the issue. The only thing you need to change on the transmission is the front bearing retainer. Everything else is pretty easy as well.

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Green '94 XJ Sport - 57,000 Original miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
the Cherokee transmissions have the transfer case clocked differently, and require redrilling of the 6 mounting holes. The transmission isn't the issue. The only thing you need to change on the transmission is the front bearing retainer. Everything else is pretty easy as well.
I'd check with novak first. I wonder what size pilot you have now, this could be something you need to change as well. Plus, there were like 80 some different input shafts from the transfer case at one point, so check with novak on that as well. It really isn't that bad, you can do this. You already have an AX-15, so that should help alot. And with the clocking, you can make a stencil from the existing holes and just rotate it ten degrees. There are pictures on here of transmissions with both sets of holes, mean max has one on his photobucket account.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The OP isn't changing transmissions, or transfer case. He's simply swapping to external slave with his OEM engine/transmission/transfer case.

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Green '94 XJ Sport - 57,000 Original miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Not according to this, he was saying that he could get something from a cherokee pretty cheap, I assume he was figuring he could get a newer transmission for cheap and be better off. If you have the transmission off anyway, why not? I really don't remember ever mentioning changing the transfer case, If I did, I apologize, there would be no need for that whatsoever

post #13 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Short answer to your original question/thread title: Yes, your slave is not working. It is not disengaging the clutch.

As this thread has progressed, you discuss changing your transmission. Quite honestly, unless you are very suspicious of the internal integrity of that tranny, keep it.

Various folks have responded to inquiries regarding swapping to external slave. This actually is a good idea. I've done it and found it to be worthwhile. Parts you need to accumulate--you will need a input bearing retainer from a 94 or newer AX 15. I bought mine used from Zumbrota bearing and gear, approx $45. You will need a bellhousing from a 94 or newer AX 15, including the clutch "fork". Mine came from a '97 for $50. Since you are changing over the clutch hydraulic system, get the one piece pre bled clutch master/hose/slave assy it is about $170 or so, ask for a '94/5 unit. Do not merely replace one component of the clutch hydraulic system. When one goes out, the other will be soon to follow as it gets the load from a new, fully functioning sibling component.
While you have this down, of course replace clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing. Dealers choice on resurfacing flywheel versus buying a new one, or scuffing down with sandpaper. FSM says replace, I generally resurface once. You will of course need the ext slave variety TO bearing. It should all come in a clutch "kit" You should ask the parts man for a 94/5 version kit.
Replace the seal in your "new" front bearing retainer, it is only about $7.

Photos of all of this:

Long snout front bearing retainer, 94/newer. The throwout bearing rides back and forth on the snout, driven back and forth by the clutch fork. On the internal slave models, the TO bearing is a part of the slave.

front bearing retainer version used on internal slave model transmissions.

Clutch fork set up for external slave models. This one is on a 94 AX 5

External slave in place. You can see PN for the one piece assembly.

This is not an incredibly difficult job. If you can do a clutch, you can do this.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Short answer to your original question/thread title: Yes, your slave is not working. It is not disengaging the clutch.

As this thread has progressed, you discuss changing your transmission. Quite honestly, unless you are very suspicious of the internal integrity of that tranny, keep it.

Various folks have responded to inquiries regarding swapping to external slave. This actually is a good idea. I've done it and found it to be worthwhile. Parts you need to accumulate--you will need a input bearing retainer from a 94 or newer AX 15. I bought mine used from Zumbrota bearing and gear, approx $45. You will need a bellhousing from a 94 or newer AX 15, including the clutch "fork". Mine came from a '97 for $50. Since you are changing over the clutch hydraulic system, get the one piece pre bled clutch master/hose/slave assy it is about $170 or so, ask for a '94/5 unit. Do not merely replace one component of the clutch hydraulic system. When one goes out, the other will be soon to follow as it gets the load from a new, fully functioning sibling component.
While you have this down, of course replace clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing. Dealers choice on resurfacing flywheel versus buying a new one, or scuffing down with sandpaper. FSM says replace, I generally resurface once. You will of course need the ext slave variety TO bearing. It should all come in a clutch "kit" You should ask the parts man for a 94/5 version kit.
Replace the seal in your "new" front bearing retainer, it is only about $7.

Photos of all of this:

Long snout front bearing retainer, 94/newer. The throwout bearing rides back and forth on the snout, driven back and forth by the clutch fork. On the internal slave models, the TO bearing is a part of the slave.

front bearing retainer version used on internal slave model transmissions.

Clutch fork set up for external slave models. This one is on a 94 AX 5

External slave in place. You can see PN for the one piece assembly.

This is not an incredibly difficult job. If you can do a clutch, you can do this.
thanks for this post! I have never done a clutch, but I also had never swapped out an axle but now I have an 8.8 sooo.... might as well go for it. my AX-15 is in good shape.

Quote:
post #15 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gather your parts, and keep on this thread. We will help you through it. Some things to consider ahead of time: First common issue--spray some PB on your skid plate bolts, 3 on each side, if you are unable to break them free with a "test" ahead of time. You can drill a tiny hole thru the frame at each of the bolts so you can spray the bolts on the inside of the frame. Second common issue--there are 2 E12 Torx bolts at the very top of the bellhousing. You won't be able to see them from below unless you know they are there. They are very very tight and you should go get an E12 Torx socket for them. They can be best reached from the inside of the jeep thru the transmission tunnel opening once you have removed the shifter and shifter boot. You will need to use several long extensions to reach them. They are high up, just barely below where the cylinder head mates with the block. Beware the E12 Torx bolts. Third common issue--do not cut the white plastic shipping straps on your new external clutch slave. The white plastic jock strap thing is designed to hold the piston on place. Install it as is, the white straps will snap the first time you push in the clutch pedal. If you don't have the action arm installed properly in the dimple on the end of the clutch arm and you do this, you will launch the piston and game over with that set.

This is a photo of the 4.0 YJ bellhousing for an Internal slave setup. You will see that the Blue circle is where the starter goes, the 2 Yellow ones are where the CPS bolts in, and the 2 Green ones are where you will find the dreaded E12 Torx head bolts.

Keep your questions coming, post photos along the way.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in