Skid Plate quesiton - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
mrblue1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Skid Plate quesiton

After looking at my skid plate last night, I found two of the bolts on the driver side missing. After looking at the frame, i found it rusted out so I'll need to weld in a new plate, drill holes and install new nutserts. My quesitons is, am i able to drive aroudn with out the skid plate on there for a few days, or is it a supporting member of the frame. Im new to jeeps, like a week new, and am just getting into it. I do know some autmotive tech. MOre than the average person

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the skid is used to support/suspend you transfer case, transmission, driveline. Absolutely do NOT drive around without it.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, dont drive it. To move it a very short distance you could run a ratchet strap or 2 around the frame and under the skid plate to support it.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

+1 to bruinjeeper,

Gotta have the skid plate, it holds your transmission and transfer case in. Some people ratchet strap the skid plate to hold it up in an emergency (like off trail if it breaks) but I wouldn't recommend that for the highway.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I lost two bolts out of the passenger side years ago, and the remaining nutsert was broken. A friend cut some 1/4" bar stock, drilled holes, tapped them, and then welded them to the frame as nuts. If you can weld I'd recommend doing that instead.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've seen people drive around (I wouldn't recommend it, but I've seen it) with c-clamps holding their skid plate to the frame. Also seen the ratchet strap trick.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
kgbeast

When I was changing out my cat converter, I was under impression that the tranny would fall to the floor without the skid plate.... It is a no for me on driving without something holding the tranny up. If it was me, I would fashion-in a temporary stick of unistrut channel straight across under the tranny (with may by some bolts to push up against the tranny as needed). I bet you can use the good numsert of driver side and one of the nutserts on the other side for that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in