Should I ditch my limited slip for a selectable locker? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeeperDon
  • 1 Post By JeeperDon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Should I ditch my limited slip for a selectable locker?

I know the capability decision is pretty cut and dry... lockers are better, hands down.

However, when comparing a properly functioning limited slip vs dropping $1000-ish for a selectable locker, is it worth the investment? Speaking of investments... after the money is spent, I'll have to setup the rear gears again with the new carrier so there's a decent time investment as well.

My jeep continues to impress me with what it can do with a front D30 lunchbox locker and the 8.8 limited slip. I've been stuck a few times with all 4 wheels spinning but usually the terrain is a bit softer. I have also been really stuck in the rocks and the limited slip wasn't strong enough to transfer power to the wheel with traction. I did forget to use my hand brake to dial in a little grip to the spinning wheel but it may not have made a difference since both my diffs were bound up on the rocks.

Curious on people's opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Curious as to why you want a selectable locker instead of a Detroit or Yukon Grizzly. If your wallet can take the $1,400 hit I say go with a selectable locker. You could also do a Detroit locker for half the cost of an ARB.

You are definitely making the right decision ditching the LSD in favor of a locker. Noticeable difference Offroad in rocks and mud. All of my rigs have front/rear lockers and is was worth every penny spent.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 PM
shaggyjim
Joy can be found anywhere

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The question you ask is subjective to your own situation. A locker is worlds better then a LSD but comes with tradeoffs like cost and If you run a Detroit the fact that its always on. I'm not sure of your situation or budget but in my case I had to run a Detroit trutrac in the 44 for a lot of years now and it was a great product but I have grown out of it and I have a ARB setting ready to go in sometime this month. If you have the money and time I would say a selectable is worth every penny, and if money is tight Im told most people get used to a Detroit locker in the rear in short order. I personally have never talked to someone who said "I can't stand my selectable locker I'm going back to a LSD as soon as I can!"

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
......YJOTM June 18......

post #4 of 15 Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Curious as to why you want a selectable locker instead of a Detroit or Yukon Grizzly. If your wallet can take the $1,400 hit I say go with a selectable locker. You could also do a Detroit locker for half the cost of an ARB.

You are definitely making the right decision ditching the LSD in favor of a locker. Noticeable difference Offroad in rocks and mud. All of my rigs have front/rear lockers and is was worth every penny spent.
Well the way I see it is this... I don't want to deal with a Detroit locker in the rear because I dislike the behavior on the road. Since this jeep is purely a toy that honestly see's more miles on road than off, I want to maintain as much of the joy of driving it on road as possible. The Detroit locker (not truetrac) and the Yukon Grizzly locker are around $700. So for $200-$300 extra, that just seems like money well spent for on road pleasure. $1400 for the ARB is getting a bit fancy and there are considerably cheaper ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
The question you ask is subjective to your own situation. A locker is worlds better then a LSD but comes with tradeoffs like cost and If you run a Detroit the fact that its always on. I'm not sure of your situation or budget but in my case I had to run a Detroit trutrac in the 44 for a lot of years now and it was a great product but I have grown out of it and I have a ARB setting ready to go in sometime this month. If you have the money and time I would say a selectable is worth every penny, and if money is tight Im told most people get used to a Detroit locker in the rear in short order. I personally have never talked to someone who said "I can't stand my selectable locker I'm going back to a LSD as soon as I can!"
Sounds like you're echoing a lot of my thoughts.

I eliminated the e-locker and ECTED locker off my list just from poor reviews. Too bad Yukon hasn't made the Zip locker for the 8.8 yet since they are a cheaper option and seem to have good reviews. I contacted them asking about it...maybe it's in work and will release soon. The ARB locker is about $950 and I'll need to pay a little more to tie in my air compressor but some sites that sell the ARB regularly run 10% off coupons so that could help. The Ox locker is around $1000 depending on my shift mechanism and includes a nice diff cover that I should probably already have. I can afford either selectable locker but the little voices keep questioning my "want vs need".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go for a selectable. If I couldn't do the selectable I'd either put the Ford Racing Mustang LSD in (my LSD is shot) or I would do that worm drive semi-locker that is like an LSD but locks up under certain circumstances. I can't remember what it's called.

I don't think I'd put an auto locker in the rear. I think it would be annoying.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Chrisnvegas
Knowitall Wannabe!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Selectable is nice for those times that a locker isn't desirable. Those who live where slippery roads are an issue. Times when you're on tight curvy trails. Or people who flat tow. Or, just basic street or trail use.

I have selectable on my SxS and they're off way more than on.

I may get around to locking my Jeep this year. Because my jeep is often hooked behind my comfy pickup, it has to be selectable.

95% of the populations lives on 10% of the land.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can also add clutch disks to the limited slip, and it'll have a spool like action... Cheap and effective

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
You can also add clutch disks to the limited slip, and it'll have a spool like action... Cheap and effective
I was real close to pulling the trigger on that option but it was hard to decipher the difference between the people who say it works amazing compared to their worn out clutch packs and the people who say they can't tell a difference after altering good clutches.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've been where you are, tried an automatic locker, for maybe a month, nope, crap on road with a manual trans (people told me it's better with an auto trans, don't know though). I went ARB. It's more bucks, but your wallet will recover in time and you get a great locker for years.
NHfireLJ likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #10 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I may get around to locking my Jeep this year. Because my jeep is often hooked behind my comfy pickup, it has to be selectable.
You still have the CAD right? You don't need a selectable in the front if towing is your deciding factor.

EDIT: never mind, you have to ditch the CAD (or lock it) to get the Aussie to work right when you're flat towing.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 11:26 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've ran pretty much all the variations. I didn't care for the limited slip. Lunchbox worked well for what it was until the jeep grew out of it. ARB's have never let me down. Detroit / Grizzly also works awesome offroad, don't care so much for on road characteristics.

Currently have an ARB up front and a Grizzly in the rear. The Grizzly wasn't but maybe $50 cheaper than the Detroit, but everything I was reading said they are "tighter" with less slop etc. so I went that route. The Zip locker was actually more than the ARB for my front application.

I would contact Rockridge 4WD (they're a vendor on here) and see what they can do for you. I called nearly every vendor on here when I bought the last ARB and they got me the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
ADDing clutch discs to standard number of discs in an 8.8 is probably only measured by drag racers and even Ford did it for their big-coin mustangs.

There’s a good 8.8 book that details doing this.

The reason I like LSD in the back is the ‘gentleness’ on snow and ice. But that same ‘benefit’ is a disadvantage at crawling trail and rock-climbing speeds

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I really enjoy driving my jeep around town and to the trails. I opted for a selectable ARB for my 8.8 after years with the Aussie. After having the ARB, I wish I would have pulled the trigger sooner. But yes, $1,400 is going to be the total for install, if you don't have the pump, it will be more.

Just really depends on your budget and what your goals are for your jeep.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #14 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

To me, swapping a carrier is easy, only needs a dial indicator for setting the backlash. With that, the locker is more like $950.
Awesome likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #15 of 15 Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I was real close to pulling the trigger on that option but it was hard to decipher the difference between the people who say it works amazing compared to their worn out clutch packs and the people who say they can't tell a difference after altering good clutches.
Only a $60 investment or lose if you don't like it...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in