Shocks? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Shocks?

I realize my YJ isnt going to have a soft ride but I would like a bit less bounce and skitter sideways. What shocks are yall running to have better control of your Wrangler? I am sure there are a thousand threads on this but I would appreciate any suggestions for control improvement. I have a grabby caliper up front so two new ones are on the list as well.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 04:58 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlotAddict View Post
I realize my YJ isnt going to have a soft ride but I would like a bit less bounce and skitter sideways. What shocks are yall running to have better control of your Wrangler? I am sure there are a thousand threads on this but I would appreciate any suggestions for control improvement. I have a grabby caliper up front so two new ones are on the list as well.

TIA!
Thats not an easy answer. It depends on your set up and lift and accessories. I love the Quadratec Hydro 7.0's. I think they ride awesome but my rig is a heavy pig. Lighter rigs are gonna think they ride rough.

Others will tell you SkyJacker hydros. What I am hearing is These are the qtec hydro 7.0s with qtec stickers. If you really want to get the most out of your ride your gonna need to drop some serious coin on some quality shocks.

Looks like you are gonna stick around so do us a favor and help us help you and fill in your profile as much as you can we can help you figure out what you dont know. It will help everyone give you better suggestions
post #3 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Quote:

TIA!
Thats not an easy answer. It depends on your set up and lift and accessories. I love the Quadratec Hydro 7.0's. I think they ride awesome but my rig is a heavy pig. Lighter rigs are gonna think they ride rough.

Others will tell you SkyJacker hydros. What I am hearing is These are the qtec hydro 7.0s with qtec stickers. If you really want to get the most out of your ride your gonna need to drop some serious coin on some quality shocks.

Looks like you are gonna stick around so do us a favor and help us help you and fill in your profile as much as you can we can help you figure out what you dont know. It will help everyone give you better suggestions
Hey Siva...

What makes your rig so heavy?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Hey Siva...

Below the shocks the 37s above the shocks where it matters most I have rear Bumper with swing out tire carrier with a 37 on it. I have a front bumper and winch. Those are the main components. But I also have dual compressor on board air and tank and lots of little goodies that probably add up to a noticable amount when you add them all togerther. Oh I also forgot about the Rock Sliders Front flat fenders which seem considerably heavier then stock fenders my rear flat fenders are steel as well.Also forgot about the 3\8ths steels flat skid plate
post #5 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 12:55 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Hey Siva...

Below the shocks the 37s above the shocks where it matters most I have rear Bumper with swing out tire carrier with a 37 on it. I have a front bumper and winch. Those are the main components. But I also have dual compressor on board air and tank and lots of little goodies that probably add up to a noticable amount when you add them all togerther. Oh I also forgot about the Rock Sliders Front flat fenders which seem considerably heavier then stock fenders my rear flat fenders are steel as well.
That'll do it.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #6 of 21 Old 04-08-2021, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks Siva, yeah looks like you got me for a while. Finally got the Wrangler base I want to build on and I think at a point where I can keep it. My 1990 2.5 4cyl is still basically stock. It does have Mastercraft Courser 32 11.50 15 mudders I think on it from the PO. The YJ is kinda a mixed bag of accessories. The front bumper is a steel fabbed winch bumper with D ring attachment points and a hoop to protect the winch. I just bought a Smitty 9.5 XRC Gen 3 with wire cable to go with it. The PO put a double tube rear bumper on it which looks odd against the nice front bumper. He bought the wrong Smitty soft top for the full doors he owned. I assume maybe he thought he would buy some hard half doors and soft uppers but bought soft half lowers that do not have provisions for uppers to attach.

I also have a hard top and plan to buy a swing away fabbed rear bumper at some point in the near future. I just bought a roof rack today for extra gear so my YJ is getting heavier. I am also planning on bolting a small steel job box I have in the rear for secure storage. Add in winching supplies and a bunch of hunting gedar and I guess I can use a heavier rated shock.

The money issue doesnt bother me, I aint rich but want value for the outlay as I am working my 63yr old *** off to get them. Ive got 3 years left to complete my YJ to enjoy my retirement cruising around to my camphouse and riding in the Management Areas checking out God's Glory. An occasional road trip to the Smoky's isnt out of the question either so an 8 hour road trip gets rough on these old bones. Maybe I shoulda bought a TJ......naw, I am happy with my YJ. Many upgrades to drive train and an 8.8 rear in the near future

I will check out Quadratec's offerings, I think eventually the YJ will be heavy enough to justify a heavier shock. If I add any spring lift it will only be 2" at max.
Siva283 likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2021, 05:12 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Siva, yeah looks like you got me for a while. Finally got the Wrangler base I want to build on and I think at a point where I can keep it. My 1990 2.5 4cyl is still basically stock. It does have Mastercraft Courser 32 11.50 15 mudders I think on it from the PO. The YJ is kinda a mixed bag of accessories. The front bumper is a steel fabbed winch bumper with D ring attachment points and a hoop to protect the winch. I just bought a Smitty 9.5 XRC Gen 3 with wire cable to go with it. The PO put a double tube rear bumper on it which looks odd against the nice front bumper. He bought the wrong Smitty soft top for the full doors he owned. I assume maybe he thought he would buy some hard half doors and soft uppers but bought soft half lowers that do not have provisions for uppers to attach.

I also have a hard top and plan to buy a swing away fabbed rear bumper at some point in the near future. I just bought a roof rack today for extra gear so my YJ is getting heavier. I am also planning on bolting a small steel job box I have in the rear for secure storage. Add in winching supplies and a bunch of hunting gedar and I guess I can use a heavier rated shock.

The money issue doesnt bother me, I aint rich but want value for the outlay as I am working my 63yr old *** off to get them. Ive got 3 years left to complete my YJ to enjoy my retirement cruising around to my camphouse and riding in the Management Areas checking out God's Glory. An occasional road trip to the Smoky's isnt out of the question either so an 8 hour road trip gets rough on these old bones. Maybe I shoulda bought a TJ......naw, I am happy with my YJ. Many upgrades to drive train and an 8.8 rear in the near future

I will check out Quadratec's offerings, I think eventually the YJ will be heavy enough to justify a heavier shock. If I add any spring lift it will only be 2" at max.
Once you put that rear bumper on your probably in the weight neighborhood I am. The quadratec shocks are cheap I got all 4 for $140. I have had them about 2 months so I cant say anything about longevity but I can tell you the ride is night and day better than the RE twintube shocks I had. I had an extra 300lbs of corn and sugar in it yesterday and damn thing was riding like a dream.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2021, 11:35 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you're planning on doing some future mods like the 8.8 or new springs, I'd wait on the shocks b/c as said by others, you need to invest in GOOD shocks. If you buy now for your stock set up, they not be what you need if you change springs or do a mild lift later. Most likely your stock springs are worn out and new shocks will only help so much. Maybe think about a mild lift, like OME 2 or 2.5 springs and some good shocks to match. Installing the 8.8 later will not effect that set up other than setting the pinion.
Look up Chrissinvegas set up... he and others claim that to be the best/softest configuration for a YJ... although mine was purdy soft too. But my old back needed better, so I traded for the LJR.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2021, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had. I had an extra 300lbs of corn and sugar in it yesterday and damn thing was riding like a dream.

Hmmmmmm, lol I would like a taste of that sweet cornbread.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
If you're planning on doing some future mods like the 8.8 or new springs, I'd wait on the shocks b/c as said by others, you need to invest in GOOD shocks. If you buy now for your stock set up, they not be what you need if you change springs or do a mild lift later. Most likely your stock springs are worn out and new shocks will only help so much. Maybe think about a mild lift, like OME 2 or 2.5 springs and some good shocks to match. Installing the 8.8 later will not effect that set up other than setting the pinion.
Look up Chrissinvegas set up... he and others claim that to be the best/softest configuration for a YJ... although mine was purdy soft too. But my old back needed better, so I traded for the LJR.

Thanks. I was thinking a lift is a lot less on the horizon as the 8.8. You bring up a good point about the 30 year old springs. I may need to look into a lift to replace them. If I do a 2-2.5" lift I will look for a complete kit. Damn, dont get me started on that search!
post #11 of 21 Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
I had. I had an extra 300lbs of corn and sugar in it yesterday and damn thing was riding like a dream.

Hmmmmmm, lol I would like a taste of that sweet cornbread. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Cornbread? My first thought was moonshine...
post #12 of 21 Old 04-11-2021, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post

SssssHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
shaggyjim likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Its not Cornbread. Its definitly a Shhhhh type of thing
shaggyjim likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-13-2021, 07:06 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've never been a fan of off the shelf high end shocks (not the ones you valve yourself). I've got a $300 set of Bilsteins hanging in the garage that I swapped out after two months for Skyjacker simple ones ('Max' I think).

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #15 of 21 Old 04-15-2021, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am thinking a small lift kit maybe 2" will solve a lot of my ride issues. New springs and shocks will probly go a long way in keeping my back aligned.. Driving a Jeep is a lot like riding a horse or operating heavy equipment, you have to go with the motion of the ride. Might as well make the motion as good as possible.

Suggestions for a 2" lift kit? BDS? Old Man Emu? RC? Should I go with a complete kit? I would assume kit parts will compliment each other but I will appreciate any input from those who are riding on a 2" lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in