Shocks - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Infotraker
Registered User
 
Infotraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 6
Shocks

1992 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift 35 inch tires . Just bought the jeep 3 weeks ago. Very rough riding on the street, may need new shocks. Getting it ready to tow behind rv. Have blue ox tow bar and even brake system. Ordered a Blue ox 10 inch rise receiver. Thinking of buying bilstein 5100 shocks. Is that a good choice for my setup ?

Attached Thumbnails
6524F752-A277-47CD-B35B-E64DABEBC03A.jpg  
Infotraker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 8,055
Garage
Or.... it may be the track bars or springs that make it ride rough

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 05:14 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 1,442
Welcome to jeep life. I don't know what you're comparing it to but even coil springed TJ's and JK's ride pretty rough. There are hundreds of threads on this but I'll summarize...

Track bars do nothing except make a YJ worse... If you have them, get rid of them.
Leaf spring shackle bolts should be snug but not tight (ensure they can't back out)... Wouldn't hurt to grease those shackle bolts while you're at it
Tire pressure especially in a 35" should be way lower than factory spec...do a chalk test (mine were aired to low 20's for the road but my Jeep was pretty light)
Bilstein shocks will help but don't expect to change the ride from tractor to Lexus with shocks alone

If none of that helps then you either need a higher quality spring or you need to adjust your expectations for a short wheelbase, utilitarian style vehicle.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 05:55 AM
ayelander
Registered User
 
ayelander's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oak Island
Posts: 154
Garage
That looks like a EAG Bumper on the front. They originally stated they were interchangeable with YJ's or TJ's so I bought one. The mounting bolt spread is different between the YJ and TJ and that bumper was set up for a TJ only. You should check to see if you only have two bolts attaching the bumper. You should also see the other two holes in the frame that should have a bolt in them also and the bumper wont allow them to reach. I talked to Paramount about it and they agreed it should be for TJ's only. I had to fabricate some hardware to fit mine up.

93 CTYJ, 350 Chevy, SM465, NP 231J TC, Ford 8.8 Rear, D30 with Chromoly, 4" RE Spring lift, 5/8" Boom, 1" body lift, 35" MT's
ayelander is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 06:29 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 8,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Welcome to jeep life. I don't know what you're comparing it to but even coil springed TJ's and JK's ride pretty rough. There are hundreds of threads on this but I'll summarize...

Track bars do nothing except make a YJ worse... If you have them, get rid of them.
Leaf spring shackle bolts should be snug but not tight (ensure they can't back out)... Wouldn't hurt to grease those shackle bolts while you're at it
Tire pressure especially in a 35" should be way lower than factory spec...do a chalk test (mine were aired to low 20's for the road but my Jeep was pretty light)
Bilstein shocks will help but don't expect to change the ride from tractor to Lexus with shocks alone

If none of that helps then you either need a higher quality spring or you need to adjust your expectations for a short wheelbase, utilitarian style vehicle.
This.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 06:37 AM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,070
quick check:

jack up the vehicle from the corner of one of the bumpers. is the suspension flexing and absorbing some of the height? or does it come off instantly?

also, can you measure the bolt to bollt length of your shackles for us?
mike134 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Awesome
Registered User
 
Awesome's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Near Whacko
Posts: 3,999
Springs don't look to have a high arch, but the shackles look nearly vertical and very long. That would make it ride pretty rough.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
Awesome is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Infotraker
Registered User
 
Infotraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 6
What can be done concerning the shackles ? I also noticed that when I make a slow right turn to the left the steering wheel vibrates . I can see that the tire rubs the spring.
Infotraker is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 09:21 AM
DougRz
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 131
Good comments above. 26 psi is common for 35s. Bad shocks will tend to not dampen bouncing, but won't contribute to harshness usually. Do you have experience in leaf Jeeps previously? The ride you describe comes with the territory I'm afraid.

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_) 03 auto, Ford 8.8, 4.88, Tru-tracs
DougRz is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada Territory
Posts: 9,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRz View Post
Good comments above. 26 psi is common for 35s. Bad shocks will tend to not dampen bouncing, but won't contribute to harshness usually. Do you have experience in leaf Jeeps previously? The ride you describe comes with the territory I'm afraid.
Leaf springs don't have to be stiff. A 1971 Ford LTD boat had leaf springs. A 2020 Chevy 2500 has (rear) leafs and is comfy.

Leaf springs are measured in inch lbs. Unfortunately, no one publishes the specs anymore, so buying springs we are left to chance.
There used to be a chart showing different brands and the specs, I can't find it anymore.
The numbers ranged from 220 in lbs (stiff) to 186 in lbs (soft) with OEM being soft, but not the softest.

There are custom spring manufacturers out there that will make springs as soft as you want them, a bit pricey.
The softest springs I know of, off the shelf, are Old Man Emu.
37R
Next are
36R

Paired with ultra-soft Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks, my Jeep is almost Buick boat-like. very soft.
For every up-side, there is a down-side. My Jeep is not good for carrying a lot of weight. I won't take it to Home Depot to pick up bags of sand.

I tow my Jeep behind my RV. Very pleasant for exploring national parks.
It's pretty comfy.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
Chrisnvegas is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Boojo35
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beer City
Posts: 2,414
Garage
A lot of good points have been made here. Rough ride is a relative term. One mans rough may be another mans not too bad.

My 87 has a completely stock and original suspension. The only mod is the rear track bar has been removed. The front track bar and stab links are still in place. I think it rides like a dream..... for a Jeep. It tracks and steers very well and can be driven comfortably with one hand on the steering wheel even on rough patched up Michigan two lane back roads. It is not a bone jarring ride by any means but can have the short wheel base hobby horse effect on some concrete paved interstates.

Quote:
I don't know what you're comparing it to but even coil springed TJ's and JK's ride pretty rough.
I don't agree with this. Not in stock form anyways. Although, my stock 87 rides as well or better because it is still really tight. It can depend on how beat up the vehicle is or if it is modified. A lot of lifted TJ's are bone jarring. The JK can be the same.

Quote:
Tire pressure especially in a 35" should be way lower than factory spec...do a chalk test (mine were aired to low 20's for the road but my Jeep was pretty light)
This is very true. Lots of differences in P to LT tires let alone load ratings in LT tires. The sidewalls are very stiff in some tires. Your Jeep is light.

Quote:
Springs don't look to have a high arch, but the shackles look nearly vertical and very long. That would make it ride pretty rough.
This is deceiving maybe in the pics.... The upper part of the shackle looks vertical but they are boomerangs and overall it appears that the lower bolt is forward of the upper bolt. Yes, the further forward the lower bolts are the more the geometry and leverage are changed which does help ride quality but reduces overall compression travel. I think that those springs look really arched..... but they are lift springs.....

Quote:
quick check:

jack up the vehicle from the corner of one of the bumpers. is the suspension flexing and absorbing some of the height? or does it come off instantly?
Yes, try this.

Quote:
Bad shocks will tend to not dampen bouncing, but won't contribute to harshness usually.
This is in no way true at all. Gas charged shocks can be very difficult to compress which in essence makes your spring rates appear to be higher. All shocks can be valved differently to match vehicle weights and spring weights. One of my hobbies is playing with RC trucks with my grandson. I can go on a serious rant about changing the weight of the shock oil alone which in essence is like changing the valving in the shocks. Makes a truck that does nothing but bounce off terrain and get airborne and roll over all the time into something that absorbs terrain and flexes and becomes very steerable and stable.

Quote:
Leaf springs don't have to be stiff. A 1971 Ford LTD boat had leaf springs. A 2020 Chevy 2500 has (rear) leafs and is comfy.

Leaf springs are measured in inch lbs. Unfortunately, no one publishes the specs anymore, so buying springs we are left to chance.
There used to be a chart showing different brands and the specs, I can't find it anymore.
The numbers ranged from 220 in lbs (stiff) to 186 in lbs (soft) with OEM being soft, but not the softest.

There are custom spring manufacturers out there that will make springs as soft as you want them, a bit pricey.
The softest springs I know of, off the shelf, are Old Man Emu.
37R
Next are
36R

Paired with ultra-soft Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks, my Jeep is almost Buick boat-like. very soft.
For every up-side, there is a down-side. My Jeep is not good for carrying a lot of weight. I won't take it to Home Depot to pick up bags of sand.
This is very true. You can accomplish a given amount of lift with very different spring rates. Stiff springs with less initial arc, adding more leaf packs to handle weight, how the individual leafs are insulated against each other to counter friction, what bushing and shackle design is used and how they are torqued... etc.... .... A lot goes into this and not all 3" springs will flex or ride equally for example.
paulhead likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Boojo35 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler
 
Louie4's Avatar
1935 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 12,310
Bilstein shocks are good bang for the buck. Just make sure they work for your application...or make them work...


Will they fix your harsh ride...negative Ghostrider.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Louie4 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Awesome
Registered User
 
Awesome's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Near Whacko
Posts: 3,999
Hey guys, Boojo is right on the shocks being able to make the ride harsher. My old shocks were totally shot, and when I removed them my ride got way softer. Not just bouncy (actually wasn't bad on-road), softer. The ride firmed up a bit when I installed the Bilsteins, but it's far better than it was.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
Awesome is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it
 
paulhead's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Hey guys, Boojo is right on the shocks being able to make the ride harsher. My old shocks were totally shot, and when I removed them my ride got way softer. Not just bouncy (actually wasn't bad on-road), softer. The ride firmed up a bit when I installed the Bilsteins, but it's far better than it was.
Agreed. If it wasn't for fear of leafs unloading at the wrong time I probably wouldn't run shocks.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paulhead is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Louie4
Web Wheeler
 
Louie4's Avatar
1935 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 12,310
I think it’s all about the leafs. I can’t run mine without shocks or I’ll bounce and oscillate all over the place. But that’s due to the SOA and stock leafs being very squishy. I even sourced a pair of Bilsteins that were valved a bit higher for the front.

Maybe check some things like shackle bolt torque, binding from track bars/sway bars, and see if the existing shocks are indeed the correct size for the application. Finally, if they are not broken in, they may need to be flexed and cycled.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Louie4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome