• 1 Post By Chrisnvegas
  • 1 Post By baritone_mike
  • 1 Post By Randonexplosion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shock upgrades

I have a 95 YJ in great shape. 3.5" suspension lift, 33" tires. However, I need to replace the shocks. I see everyone always suggesting Bilstein or OME but I'm not really taking it off road these days and would look to maximize a smoother ride. Well, maybe not completely smooth. Any suggestions under $250? it seems most threads I have read have a deep hatred for Skyjacker. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my Bilsteins for $68 each and they're 14" travel, I've got to imagine shorter ones are less.
J33PitR34L likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get them from? What makes Bilsteins worth the extra $20 a shock? I'd be willing to spend the extra $$ if I knew what I was paying for. I recently took the track bars off and man did I wish I had done that years ago. I have just gotten to the point where I can start modifying it though.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker Hydro are probably the softest shocks out there.

I paid about 120 bucks a set (plus tax)

They're the best cheap shocks.
J33PitR34L likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I only have experience with Superlift shocks and Bilsteins. The Bilsteins are soooooo much nicer than the Superlift shocks. They work great on the street. I paid $320 before tax for my set of 4, twice the price of the Superlift shocks but worth every penny.
J33PitR34L likes this.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #6 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
J33PitR34L
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I only have experience with Superlift shocks and Bilsteins. The Bilsteins are soooooo much nicer than the Superlift shocks. They work great on the street. I paid $320 before tax for my set of 4, twice the price of the Superlift shocks but worth every penny.
Thanks! Based on what I am reading Bilsteins are the only way to go. Which model do you have?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you opt for Bilsteins, figure out what size you need and then go to their website. Find the link to the catalogue and find the shock you need based on mounting and size, then search the web for that part number. I found mine on Amazon, although I just looked and they're now about $76 per.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33PitR34L View Post
Thanks! Based on what I am reading Bilsteins are the only way to go. Which model do you have?
I have the 5100's. front part number 24-064576 compressed length 16.97 extended length 28.44 Rear part number 24-185660 compressed length 14.63 extended length 23.68.

They were "off the shelf" from 4 Wheel Parts but those numbers are perfect for my 4" lift, they just so happen to be the only option they list for the YJ. 4 Wheel Parts has them listed at $319.96 with free shipping (they also have brick and mortar stores if you are near one), Amazon has them listed at $76.27 a piece front, $84.29 a piece rear.

There is someone on the forum that apparently has good pricing and customer service, I think his name is Kodak, but I didn't use him.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #9 of 10 Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Kolak, I've heard the same, but also didn't use him. No reason not to, just didn't think of it when I was in a rush to get mine done.

Quote:
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I run Bilstein 5125s and i'm happy with them. There are 2 valvings available, 255/70 and 170/60. I originally (unknowingly) ran the stiffer valving on the rear and it was pretty harsh even with coil springs. Once I went spring over up front I moved them and got the lighter valved set in the back and they feel good. My Jeep is pretty light though, no spare, minimalist bumper etc.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
shocks , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in