Shock recommendations? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Shock recommendations?

I have a '94 YJ with Fabtech 4" springs, and its time to replace the shocks. I see most suggestions are for Bilstein 5100/Rubicon Express, but I am curious about correct sizing. The front shock brackets are 25" eye to eye, which should be standard (?) For the lift. The rear, on the other hand, is an 8.8 using lower Explorer spring plates, with the shocks measuring roughly 20.25" eye to eye.

Will I need to order the front and rears separately, or can I go ahead and order shocks set up for a 4/4.5" lift?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 09:00 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I personally would measure your compressed and extended lengths and buy the Bilsteins that fit those measurements the best. They have an online catalog somewhere on their site that lists the shocks by model and type (eyes or stems etc) and lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Toastmaster
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bilstein 5100's are nice but also pretty stiff. I rode with a friend who has the Rancho 9000XL shocks and they rode amazingly, nice to be able to adjust the stiffness to your preference.

90' YJ 4.2L Howell EFI, Pacesetter Headers, MT 32" Baja ATZ's, Teamrush Ignition, Trac Loc D35.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does Rancho offer anything for a 4" lift? Seems odd, but I couldn't find anything taller than a 2.5" lift on their website...

None
post #5 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 07:31 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You get the shocks with the appropriate valving and they won't be stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I can definitely say the shocks now on the Jeep are far too stiff, but a lot of its my fault going with the cheapest shocks I could find. Just about anything at this point would be better, but this time I don't mind spending the money.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

how are fabtech springs generally regarded in our YJ community? haven't ever read anything about them as i knew what options i wanted

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #8 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Are you currently running stock type mounts with a stem at the top in the front? Or do you have adapters and a loop at the top?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m surprised that the Skyjacker H7000 series hasn’t come up yet!

Go to their website - they have all the extended and compressed lengths published there. Your at rest lengths can be used to guesstimate which ones to pick.

Better- especially if you off road any- is to measure or calculate your jeep’s flex and get your extended and compressed lengths, then select the model# from those numbers. Your spring kit “should have” included appropriate-length extended bump stops and your shocks should compress to slightly less than the bump-stop contact length and be slightly longer than the full extended (droop) length. I think it was jeeperdon or opihi ? that posted at some point a very simple way to measure and calculate the right lengths.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Are you currently running stock type mounts with a stem at the top in the front? Or do you have adapters and a loop at the top?
Stock mounts up front, stem top with loop bottom.

None
post #11 of 16 Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The measurements you posted in your first message are from the center of the loop at the bottom to the upper bushing at the top of the front shock correct? And from the center of the loop at the bottom to the center of the loop at the top of the rear shock? And the Jeep is on the ground with the current shocks still installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Stock mounts up front, stem top with loop bottom.

or
post #12 of 16 Old 07-13-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, that is correct.

None
post #13 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Great! That will make it very easy to select the proper shock lengths. If you'd like to chat further/get pricing, please PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]

I carry Bilstein, Fox, RE, and Rancho for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Yes, that is correct.

or
post #14 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Finally had a chance to measure spring travel this morning. I put the Jeep on my lift, and measured with the springs fully extended. Up front, I have 27" and the rear is 21.5". I measured without the shocks, and there was no change. I actually had an inch or two of travel left with the front and rear shocks, so they weren't limiting any travel. Up front, I have 6.5" to the bumpstops, so I should be able to figure out my lengths
post #15 of 16 Old 07-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure I would recommend Bilstein shocks anymore. I’ve had 5100s in four rigs and the quality seems to be going downhill. The most recent set I installed on my SOA YJ started leaking fluid on the first trip out. Never had any issues with these shocks in the past on my TJs or XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in