Shock orientation - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shock orientation

So I've read a lot of threads about whether it's ok to mount shocks upside down. Unfortunately, they all seem to deviate from the original question. I don't want to get into can up vs can down or shocks that can be run either way. I'm specifically curious about hydro shocks that have a correct orientation stamped on the can stating which way is up.

Is the shock less effective upside down? Does it not oil properly significantly shortening it's life?

I may be forced to find out for myself because my cans are down and they're getting dented by the brake calipers. There is plenty of clearance under normal steering lock but guessing my shock cans are getting dented pretty bad at the bottom at full bump. Somehow the shocks can still go through their full stroke though.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200331_114032.jpg   IMG_20200331_114104.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-31-2020, 11:33 AM
ThomasYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
So I've read a lot of threads about whether it's ok to mount shocks upside down. Unfortunately, they all seem to deviate from the original question. I don't want to get into can up vs can down or shocks that can be run either way. I'm specifically curious about hydro shocks that have a correct orientation stamped on the can stating which way is up.

Is the shock less effective upside down? Does it not oil properly significantly shortening it's life?

I may be forced to find out for myself because my cans are down and they're getting dented by the brake calipers. There is plenty of clearance under normal steering lock but guessing my shock cans are getting dented pretty bad at the bottom at full bump. Somehow the shocks can still go through their full stroke though.
I've seen multiple sources state, when mounted upside down the shock can develop an inch or more of travel that is undampened.
Waternut likes this.

The Toy:93 YJ
The DD:00 F250 7.3
Build:
post #3 of 22 Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not necessarily so
Depends on the shock. Some are 100% hydraulic and all the valves and orifices are 100% flooded. These can go both ways.
Some gas shocks can go upside down. Some can’t.

Check with the specific manufacturer- no one can answer this generically.
JeeperDon likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 22 Old 04-01-2020, 07:07 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Not necessarily so
Depends on the shock. Some are 100% hydraulic and all the valves and orifices are 100% flooded. These can go both ways.
Some gas shocks can go upside down. Some can’t.

Check with the specific manufacturer- no one can answer this generically.
Ditto that. I had a set of Pro comp MX-6 adjustables on the YJ and had them upside down. (yeah, I know, pro comp... but I really liked them. they did well for the $$)

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #5 of 22 Old 04-01-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so sounds like I just need to try it and see honestly... No large company is going to go against their own recommendations when questioned on the phone so I'm not even going to bother with that. Maybe a smaller company where the owners or designer can explain the rationale behind their design...

post #6 of 22 Old 04-01-2020, 02:50 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

My comment was wrong.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-02-2020, 08:20 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was just looking for some new shocks for the front end Waternut and I wanted a can up design for the same reasons you do. Im not having much luck but I did find the Skyjacker M95's that have the can up in the photo. Im going to shoot them and email and make sure that is the way they mount. How is your upside down experiment going?

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
post #8 of 22 Old 04-02-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I was just looking for some new shocks for the front end Waternut and I wanted a can up design for the same reasons you do. Im not having much luck but I did find the Skyjacker M95's that have the can up in the photo. Im going to shoot them and email and make sure that is the way they mount. How is your upside down experiment going?
It's going no where at the moment. I kinda feel like I'm too busy not being busy with the whole quarantine thing to actually do anything at the moment. I'll try to remember to do this when I'm sitting around wondering what I can do tomorrow or this weekend.
ThomasYJ likes this.

post #9 of 22 Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 PM
ThomasYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
It's going no where at the moment. I kinda feel like I'm too busy not being busy with the whole quarantine thing to actually do anything at the moment. I'll try to remember to do this when I'm sitting around wondering what I can do tomorrow or this weekend.
This quarantine has been the best thing yet for my build

The Toy:93 YJ
The DD:00 F250 7.3
Build:
post #10 of 22 Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bilstein 5100s are can-up in the front and rear.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-03-2020, 11:42 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
Quote:
I'm too busy not being busy with the whole quarantine thing to actually do anything at the moment. I'll try to remember to do this when I'm sitting around wondering what I can do tomorrow or this weekend.
This quarantine has been the best thing yet for my build <i>
This quarantine has had me exposed to hundreds of ‘the public’ daily.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 22 Old 04-03-2020, 01:46 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
Quote:
I'm too busy not being busy with the whole quarantine thing to actually do anything at the moment. I'll try to remember to do this when I'm sitting around wondering what I can do tomorrow or this weekend.
This quarantine has been the best thing yet for my build <i>

This quarantine has had me exposed to hundreds of ‘the public’ daily.
Same.

1000s actually.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 22 Old 04-03-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I did some limited testing today on my cheap skyjacker shocks. Drove maybe 4-5 miles with it each way. From what I can tell on the short term, upside down still does it's job but it feels like the valving is way lighter on the compression. For me, this is a good thing until I hit a really big dip in the road and then it sounds harsh like I'm hitting bump stops.

A longer trip may cause things to be worse but I need to fix my steering before I take any longer trips.

post #14 of 22 Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 AM
JarheadAl

OP,
I'm curious how you will invert your front shocks. The top has a stud and the bottom an eye. Or am I missing something?
post #15 of 22 Old 04-04-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
OP,
I'm curious how you will invert your front shocks. The top has a stud and the bottom an eye. Or am I missing something?
Ford shock towers and Skyjacker H7099 shocks with eyelets on both ends. I needed 14" of shock travel and this was the easiest/cheapest way to accomplish that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in