serpentine belt or v-belt - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
serpentine belt or v-belt

Can someone explain to me why some early YJ's have a v-belt and some have a serpentine belt?

I have a 89 4.2 liter with a serpentine belt. When I started to look at aftermarket a/c units for my YJ I saw that the unit I was looking at was only good for my year with a v-belt. I have found some that work with a serpentine belt, but they say only the California model with the serpentine belt. Does anyone know what this refers to and how to know if mine is one of those models? From my vin# I can see mine was made in Canada, but I have no idea where it was originally sold. I live in Wisconsin and it is rusty so I would think it has spent most of its life here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-02-2021, 12:27 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly have no idea why some have v-belts and some have serpentine belts. My '90 with the 4.2 has serpentine belts and was likely originally sold in CA. There has been speculation on here in the past about factory A/C vs non A/C but I have two friends with '89's and one has a serpentine and one has v-belts and neither have A/C. As far as I know there were no special anti-smog devices added to "CA models" I don't think there's a difference between the two other than water pump rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 PM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I cant answer your question either but I can say that I have two 89s with v belts. One is a base model 2.5 and the other is a Laredo with the 4.2

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Because v-belts are an older technology that started falling out of favor during the time the YJ was being produced. Serpentine belts are a better technology. Jeep wasn't the company that let parts sit around in warehouses after changing a production line. They used all of the old parts during the switchover.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-04-2021, 05:34 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The serpentine belt has more surface area per pulley therefore more ‘traction’ than a v-belt. As AC become more standard and things became more compact overall, the quest for reducing ‘unnecessary’ weight to improve gas mileage also began. As a plus they could engineer simple, single point adjustment which reduced manufacturing costs(less parts.)

Chrysler absorbed AMC as the YJ run began. Although the YJ was “simpler” than a car, Chrysler began making running changes rather than stay with the AMC configurations to homogenize parts-binning. The v-belt pulleys were obsoleting while the serpentine pulleys were shared among a number of models. Things like the (denso?) alternator from Chrysler contracts were enabled rather than stay with the GM alternator…

There are as no legal mandate to change so they just made the change when fulfilled parts orders were depleted.
A number of carbureted six cylinder serpentine engines were assembled; I don’t think I’ve see a 2.5 tbi with a serpentine belt. Dunno.
Awesome likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 21 Old 08-04-2021, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for info guys. My rig did not come with factory air and when looking at my options, there is a difference in the a/c units between the two, it seem to be more than just the pulley, some only work with a v belt and some mention the California serpentine so I just was wondering if there were two different serpentine options. Doesn't sound like it though, right?
post #7 of 21 Old 08-04-2021, 06:42 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There were two different AC compressors

I don’t know if a/b was coincident with vbelt/serp

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 21 Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how the A/C is driven on either but it's possible the rotation would be different like the water pump. Also don't know if that would even matter on an A/C compressor.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-05-2021, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Okay, thanks. I'll have to some more research before I pull the trigger.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-05-2021, 08:22 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
FWIW. my 1990 came with factory a/c, serp belt and originated in Massachusetts. as far as I know everything had a sanden style compressor after the old old 60s version cherokee with a york went away. I suppose you could change all the pulleys but seems like a lot of work for no real benefit. I do know with the a/c in place there is not much belt contact with the alternator pulley and there is slippage under load, at least for me

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-05-2021, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Jbolty, any chance you could snap a picture of your setup and post it or PM me?
post #12 of 21 Old 08-05-2021, 06:01 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndj32 View Post
Jbolty, any chance you could snap a picture of your setup and post it or PM me?
Are you looking for the routing? I swapped in a York compressor and custom bracket years ago but the spin directions are all the same

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #13 of 21 Old 08-05-2021, 07:09 PM
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
This is my 4.2 out of an 83 cj8. Original motor and the jeep originated in Cali. Hope the pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
0522171403b.jpg   0513171529.jpg  

Big Ugly cJ8 build in progress

Jeep Air

post #14 of 21 Old 08-06-2021, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, I was looking for how the belt went around everything and where the a/c pump was placed. I see from the pics from here and other posts that it goes above the alternator. Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I have what I need to figure out what I'm going to do.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-06-2021, 03:33 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWoodman View Post
This is my 4.2 out of an 83 cj8. Original motor and the jeep originated in Cali. Hope the pictures help.
That's not the same set up as a YJ serpentine....

Looks like you've got an extra idler on the driver side. Odd that as far back as '83 they were running serps but didn't continue.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in