September 2019 YJOTM - Vote Now! - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Who is YOUR end of Summer YJOTM?
YJDave 8 28.57%
Jmkaiser 1 3.57%
Cobra Jeep 3 10.71%
letitloose06 14 50.00%
Siva283 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

September 2019 YJOTM - Vote Now!

Alrighty folks. It's the end of summer edition of YJOTM. This promises to be a dandy!

Voter Rules
1st rule of YJOTM is you do not vote for yourself.
2nd rule of YJOTM is you DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF.
3rd rule of YJOTM is you do NOT solicit votes from outside JF or within JF. Investigations have been held, jeeps have been disqualified. DON'T do it!
4th rule of YJOTM is all nonsupporting members must post when you vote or it will not be counted. Paid members do not have to post when voting.
5th rule of YJOTM is all voters will remain public as to promote self moderation

Up for grabs: Bragging rights for September 2019 YJOTM and $200 gift cert. from Qtec (Thank you @Quadratec - you rock). REMINDER: All YJOTM winners are automatically entered for the chance at being voted for the illustrious title of YJOTY as well as inclusion on the /f12 Calendar. Let's Git'r DONE!

Username: YJDave
1989 YJ Islander
General Jeep info:
- 258ci i6
- Originally a hard-top model w/full doors
- Originally had a Peugeot Transmission
- Now Coated in Monstaliner Medium Quartz Grey
- Grille purchased off eBay, rebuilt, and powder-coated textured black
- Tailgate purchased off eBay, rebuilt and powder-coated textured black
- Doors Purchased off eBay and rebuilt
- New Key Parts Windshield Frame powder-coated black, Monstaliner exterior only.
- Sport Cage replaced with Family-syle from a 94 and powder-coated black
- MasterTop Premium Sail Cloth Complete Soft Top Kit w/tinted rear windows
- Rear seat replaced with Bestop fold and tumble Trail Max fabric seat.
- Front Seats covered with Bestop OEM-apperance seat covers
- Tuffy Stereo Security Center Console (love it)
- Drake Off-Road Hood Latches
- Sound: Rockford Fosgate 4x6s, 5 speakers in Tuffy speaker box, and 6x9s in VDP housings
- Uniden CB Radio w/4 K40 antenna
- Black Rock D wheels w/33x12 R15 Good Year DuraTrac tires.
Engine:
- 258ci rebuilt around 200K miles
- New MotorCraft 2100 2 Barrel Carburetor (runs awesome)
- Borla Header
- Aluminum Radiator
- GM HEI Distributor mod
- Hyline Off-Road Hood Louver
- TeraFlex Hand Throttle
Driveline:
- AX-15 Transmission from a 94
- NP231 T-case w/Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE
- Rugged Ridge CV Drive Shaft
- D30 front with Aussie Locker and a 4x4 PosiLock Cable Actuator
- D35 Rear getting replaced this winter with Ford 8.8
Suspension
- 2.5 Rubicon Express
- 1 Longer Oversized Shackles
- Teraflex Steering Stabilizer
Armor & Bumpers:
- Fabtech Crawler Skid Plate
- Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Tie Rod Kit
- Warrior Products Gas Tank Skid Plate
- Riddler Mfg front Diff Cover on D30
- GenRight Winch Bumper with Grille guard and Trail Stinger
- Metal Cloak Rocker Guards
- Metal Cloak Fenders w/6 Flares
- Body Armor rear bumper with swing-out tire carrier.
Recovery:
- Badland 12,000lb. Winch
- Factor 55 1.5 Hawse Fairlead
- Factor 55 Pro Link
- Quadratec 100 Synthetic Winch Line
- Crosby Steel Shackles
- Voodoo Off Road Soft Shackles
- ARB Snatch Block 9000
- Highlift Extreme Jack (mounted to rear bumper)

Story:
I bought this 1989 Jeep Islander in 2009 for $2,500 prior to having a wife and kids. It was definitely a rusty Michigan Jeep. This YJ was definitely a handyman special. Many parts had JB Cold Weld, zip ties, and duct tape holding it all together. It ran very well and was basically love at first sight. Fast forward a few years, I was married and started having kids. Once my younger daughter was about 3, I started pouring a lot of time and money into the Jeep. 2018 was the first year the Jeep was fixed up enough to become a daily driver in the summer (we still had no top and no doors). This year, I finally installed a complete soft top, rebuilt half-doors bought off eBay and brought it to a couple off-road parks in Michigan. My wife and daughters absolutely love the Jeep and they loved wheeling at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. At 4 and 7 years old, they show no fear and lots of enthusiasm for off-roading. The last decade of pouring time and money into this project has actually become a huge blessing for our family. I see many off-road adventures in our future.

Username: Jmkaiser
1995 YJ
So heres the 95 YJ I bought my wife for her new daily driver that will eventually get some more height and tires.
Hers the back story to it. So my wife and I are HS sweethearts and were married a year after we graduated. When I HS we both loved to go missing on 2 tracks and tails. We always talked about getting a Jeep someday and making it a project for us. To keep this post from getting crazy long long story short we had our 3 beautiful kids all before we were 25. The Jeep idea went out the window and we went with 1. What we could afford and 2. That meant a minivan. While not her play Jeep it was what the family needed at the end at that point in our lives. So since we were 24 weve been a minivan family.
Fast forward to today at 39. Our oldest graduated in June and our middle will do the same in December. So that leaves us with our youngest whos a freshman... (meaning the minivan quickly has become way bigger than our needs anymore)
Im surfing FB one day and I see this Jeep on market place thats not far from where we live. My wife immediately tells me if its not a total wreck that she wants it. I can see the pleading in her eyes, it would be a dream come true for her.
Took it for a test drive, it had just rained and the tub was holding water. Discovered that the train holes had duct tape covering them so it couldnt drain. There was some rust but nothing crazy under the carpet. It has a 2.5l with a 5 speed manual with only 78k miles. The guy when he started the Jeep was mashing the gas cause it was how you start a carbureted Jeep according to him. Another plus for my wife and I as we prefer manuals. So while were driving I noticed a sputter when I got into the throttle at all causing a big lack in power. The guy who owns it says its carbureted and that its a back pressure issue and hes got a new muffler in the garage to take care of it. More on that later.
We finish the test drive and I look under the hood and the first thing I notice is that this guy has no idea what hes looking at when hes looking at an engine cause its a fuel injection engine.... another long story short we bought it for 4K. Ive done a full tune up, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and its running much better now. Injectors are next and I may just drop the fuel tank and do the fuel pump too. Ive also installed a locking console in the Jeep l, cause as my wife says, its hard to hold your coffee in the morning and shift at the same time. Best $65 bucks spent so far. I ripped the carpet out and will be taking care of the rust then Raptor lining the interior. A new exhaust and Cat are going on this weekend. Its all just the start to a lot of fun for the love of my life and I with this Jeep

Username: CobraJeep
1993 YJ
Mods are quite a few.
OME 2.5 in lift
31x10.50-15 super swamper SS-M16 tires
Black rock wheels
8.8 rear (rebuilt and installed by me) factory ford limited slip, yukon super 8.8 kit, modded F150 brakes. Details here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...8-8-a-2803706/
Original D30 front with ZJ one piece shafts and a custom home made hub conversion and big brake kit. Details on the hub conversion here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...parts-3655505/
Hydroboost brakes and larger power steering pump. Details here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...rsion-1457193/
JK disconnecting sway bar (converted to manual)
Barnes heavy duty skid pan
Details here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...plate-3394002/
4.6L stroker. New scat crank, forged scat rods (4.0 length rods) custom race tec forged pistons, custom grind comp cams, edelbrock aluminum head, ported and polished with oversized valves, ported intake, AFE header, bigger injectors, 2.5in full exhaust.
Custom made by me cross flow fuel rail and adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Details here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...cheap-3807394/
Stock (but rebuilt by me) AX-15
Built by me NP231 with a 6 pinion planetary, wide chain and sprockets, true neutral plate, and JB HD SYE
Smittybuilt front bumper with a custom designed by me winch plate (press formed by a local metal shop) with a warn M10000 winch (with synthetic line).
Group 65 battery and a ZJ 136 amp alternator. All battery cables updated to 0 gauge. (including winch)

I bought this jeep when I was 18 my senior year in high school with 99k miles on it (I'm currently 36) It has been my daily driver pretty much ever since. It has almost 290k miles on it now.

Username: letitloose06
1992 YJ
Specs/Mods:
4.0 (243k on clock)
AX-15 with Hurst short throw
NP231 w/SYE Home built rear CV shaft, Tom woods front
HP44 front, 4.10s with Spartan Locker, alloy shafts, Ruff Stuff Cover, Warn Lockouts
1-ton Chevy Steering and Durango Steering Box
Ford 8.8, Yukon Ultimate 88 Kit, Grizzly Locker, 4.10s, Ruff Stuff Cover
4 Rubicon Express Lift, 1 Body Lift
35 Maxxis BigHorn Radial MT on Allied Beadlocks
OBA Setup with Stock Sanden Compressor
Badlands 12k winch
Smittybilt corners and rockers
JCR Front Bumper
Custom built rear bumper with tire carrier
RR Gas Tank Skid

Here is my 1992 YJ. Bought it in June 2006 right out of HS. Started out fairly stock. Added lift and tires and other upgrades in college. Was daily driven until 2012. Got more or less a complete rebuild in 2013. All work and modifications were done by me. Painted with WW2 OD Green Monstaliner and has P40/Flying Tigers theme.

Username: siva283
1993 YJ
It has the 4.0/ax15/np231wSYE, I put an 8.8 in it. Regeared it to 4.10 and has a selectable locker in the 8.8 and a lunchbox locker in the front. Custom front and rear driveshafts. There rear frame on both sides was rotted and repaired with CNC cut plates. It has the 136 amp alt from a 98 durango. Sitting on 33's. It has F-150 brake lines in the front and a Dakota in the rear. Bumpers front and rear winch and tire carrier in the works. OBD2 upgrade is also in the works as well.

So I am sure by now everyone knows most of the story about my fiancee. So lets put the more positive stuuf out there. This jeep has been a savior for me and the kids. Jadyn 13 helped measure and weld the mounts on the 8.8. Marley 9 Helped regear the front and rear and install the lockers. This weekend 09/03 we broke down 5 miles from home. Marley started asking questions and determined it was a fuel issue. That made me so proud that she is understanding how it all works. She dropped the tank almost completly by herself with the use of my transmission jack. And she swapped the pump while I did the regulator. This was also the 1 year anniversary of the fire. I asked them what they wanted to do. They told me they wanted to go mudding because its what Mommy would be doing. SO we fix the jeep but in reality. The Jeep is fixing us.

Attached Thumbnails
siva1.jpg   siva2.jpg   siva3.jpg   siva4.jpg  
YJDave likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-25-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

aaaaand an early bump because why not?
Attached Thumbnails
740full-pashence-marie.jpg  
sptrmike likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
And a fine bump it is. There are a bunch of nice Jeeps this month. Even some new ones. I'm going to have to noodle on this for a bit.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19

post #4 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed.
@Jmkaiser ....you would also be eligible for next month's stocktober edition of YJOTM
DirtKar likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

*bump*
Attached Images

sptrmike likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 02:00 PM
Flint762
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Voted
post #7 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 02:04 PM
jmart2119
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some new guys this go around. Good to see! Gonna come back to this one in a bit.

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #8 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 PM
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Voted

post #9 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is shaping up.

Dare I say it so soon? End of Summer deathmatch?

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 21 Old 09-26-2019, 09:04 PM
Rudys88

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Voted! Nice work guys!

'88 Wrangler 4.2L with famous BA-10 trans, 31" Kelly Safari's, 2" body lift, Carter/Crown BBD.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 12:13 AM
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Voted. Great looking rigs this month!

'90 YJ - Squirrel powered and on 35's!

Utah Jeepcrew #26
post #12 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 08:10 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

voted

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #13 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 02:35 PM
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Voted.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Voted

Waiting on my Rough Country lift to sag!
post #15 of 21 Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump

Great race here. Like the see saw!
Attached Thumbnails
e17ec0779d88a4d7e07295e45e77097c_1569630476936.jpg  
sptrmike likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in