Seeking advice on deciding best lift option from someone with 1992 yj v6 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
B1ade_C
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Seeking advice on deciding best lift option from someone with 1992 yj v6

There have been so many different opinons on so many different websites, and I'm kinda just looking for someone experienced to give me a little bit of guidance so I don't get 75% into a lift that ended up being unnecessarily complicated or expensive because I read too many random opposing opinions.

Alright, I will try and be descriptive of my needs, goals, budget, jeep, etc. TL;DR on bottom, cuz i have a problem with being concise sometimes.

Basically, I desperately need new tires as it continues to snow in PA, but I don't want to buy regular sized tires when I planned to do suspension and tire upgrades and a lift very soon anyway.

My goals:
-Increase my ability to go off pavement in rougher spots while maintaining at least a marginally efficient daily driver
-Bigger Tires/Appropriate Lift (would 34"/4' tires/lift be too much for a car I actually want to drive to class and work? I can take a marginal hit on gas mileage
-Do things "right"
My overall budget I would say would be around 4k not including any work I couldn't do myself. I hope to get some decent tires off of a jeep forum or craigslist at a bit of a discount, but hesitate because I don't want to buy something I can't use. It's a 92 with the bigger engine. Sports Edition without A/C and 5 speed if any of that is relevant.
I really don't want to take the cheaper way out, but when looking through packages and stuff on quadratech, i'm not even sure what kind of lift would best suit me. I need help finding my personal middle ground between value and longevity.
I'm not even looking for specific brands as much as actual part types that I would need, and precautions I should take. I don't want to blindly get way more or way less of a lift kit for my goals.
Has anyone tried to lift a jeep similar to mine on here, and if so is there anything I need to worry about as far as tire clearance?
Thanks for reading, if you're still here!
TL;DR; Looking for someone with YJ experience to have a dialogue about the best route to take to get bigger tires & a lift on my 92 jeep since I have to get new ones anyway. Willing to pay the money to get it done right but I don't want to buy an expensive lift kit if it's too much or too little for my needs. I don't want to do any rock climbing or crazy rut cruising, and I want it to be at least somewhat able to maintain its daily driver status.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

is the jeep stock as of now? I inquire as i'm sure most here would like to know your gearing in the differentials before advising of how to manage a perfect balance between a decent offroader and a daily driver with a goal of a 34" -ish tire.

WHat gearing ratio IS in your carriers? How BIG of a hit in gas mileage are you willing to take?

4k is more then enough to spend (jeez i wish i had 4k to throw lol)

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
B1ade_C
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
is the jeep stock as of now? I inquire as i'm sure most here would like to know your gearing in the differentials before advising of how to manage a perfect balance between a decent offroader and a daily driver with a goal of a 34" -ish tire.

WHat gearing ratio IS in your carriers? How BIG of a hit in gas mileage are you willing to take?

4k is more then enough to spend (jeez i wish i had 4k to throw lol)
Thanks for the response! I'm glad 4k is more than enough, I was really hoping to not have to spend all of that, but I've been having some bad luck with erring on the side of cheapness lately, and I'm not a suspicious person but that has led to me really really wanting to make sure no corners are cut.

Bare with me, as i'm at such an unexperienced level I'm not even sure I know how to answer your questions.

I'm willing to take a pretty decent hit in gas mileage as a tradeoff for the look and off-road ability of bigger,meatier tires, but decided I definitely want to go with all-terrains unless someone convinces me that I should get Mud tires and more reasonable every day ones(looking at duratrac as of now).

My jeep is stock as far as i know, it was kind of inherited from my girlfriend's dad, and I'm 99& sure he didn't do anything, especially with the transmission.

I don't know the gear ratio, how to find it, or how easy it would be to change, but maybe I can just look up what the stock is for my model? My one preference is that I actually get to still use fifth on the highway.

I've heard that with a 4" lift, it's very possible that I will need to modify / replace the transfer case, and possibly get a yoke eliminator, rear driveshaft, and possibly even rear axle if I go to 33's. He seemed to think the rear axle was for someone who goes a little harder than I intend to. Can you attest to any of this?

I'll try and answer any further questions to the best of my ability, thanks for helping walk me through the process.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with a set of 31 10.50's and a 3" lift?

What do you want to do with the jeep in the future? You could go with a half inch shackle lift and a one inch body lift and ditch the trackbars and run 31" all terrains for the snow. What do you plan on doing with the jeep once the snow melts? Can you fill in your profile please? Your axle ratio is on the tag on your differentials.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
B1ade_C
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
What's wrong with a set of 31 10.50's and a 3" lift?

What do you want to do with the jeep in the future? You could go with a half inch shackle lift and a one inch body lift and ditch the trackbars and run 31" all terrains for the snow. What do you plan on doing with the jeep once the snow melts? Can you fill in your profile please? Your axle ratio is on the tag on your differentials.
Yea, I'll fill out everything I can now. Thanks!

I plan on basically finding the middle line between daily drivable and able to get through some decent trails, nothing crazy though.

There's nothing wrong with the 31's, i was just kind of testing the waters. I really love the space/tire ratio look for the bigger tires and the bigger lift, and would like to be a little adventerous when I'm out in the sticks, but at the same time, if there are multiple fixes I will need to do with the bigger tires (yoke eliminator, rear driveshaft/axle, transfer case, etc) that I won't need to do without, I will really have to decide if it's worth it from a cost / benefit perspective.

Besides the look, are there any other real advantages I will get from a bigger duratrac vs a smaller one? What are some of the disadvantages to having the bigger tires besides the gas mileage and gear ratio being messed off?

From my still naive perspective, I would prefer the bigger tires. As I learn more though, logic and money start might start pointing me towards the smaller tires and less of a lift. I will try not to be too biased if that starts to become the case.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the gear ratio to tire size (along with the lift) are what will affect your gas mileage the most.

The ride height gained through springs+shackles will determine if you can get by without an SYE (although most, myself included will recommend one anyway to make the vehicle more capable and sound.

It's all pretty simple with a little research my friend. The ride height (but more importantly, the quality of components involved in your ride height) will determine the scope and degree of your limits off road. As a starting point that will give you pretty decent off roading capability but keep you pretty comfortable on the road, mpg: 2.5" springs, .5" lift boomerang greasable shackles (M.O.R.E are a forum favourite in this category) and a 1" body lift (optional) with 32" tires on rims with decent back spacing. Body lift will not affect your driveline, and hence you can get by without an SYE on most YJs with this set up (i say most because as you'll find out - they're all different)

THis way if you decide you get more addicted to the offroad side of the coin, you can utilize the 1.5" from the shackles+body lift and just upgrade your springs by an inch and upsize your tire. AT this point, i would say an SYE should be installed to maximize the offroad safely and with confidence. As you stated in your last post, you want to give in to your naive side. (lol ) Just straight away net yourself 4"+ of lift. ( i prefer 3.5" leaf springs, .5" lift boom shackles and a 1" body lift). It will net you around 5" of lift. 33" tires will have plenty of travel on that setup which will be good for your offroad capabilities (obviously). Now an SYE is mandatory, and if at some point we determine your gearing ratio and its surprisingly been upgraded from stock, perhaps a 33, 34ish" tire won't hurt too bad on the wallet in terms of mpg.

Just my .02. Ultimately you gotta figure out what you want outta this vehicle, and think about it long and hard. Is this just a phase? Do you truly love that cube shaped inaffectionate hunk of metal that you will go to wits end at keeping her yours, etc etc. THis determines how much money you 'might as well' throw at her now and take it from there in increments. Ultimately though, there are various upon various ways of modifying your suspension (and things that affect its travel like fenders, shocks, etc). Using an inadequate lift height and a 33" tire which rubs your fender over potholes in the street may look larger than it is as it distorts perception, but those larger tires are not only useless because they negate the suspension from travelling, but also work wonders at ruining your mpg and your ride comfort.

It's all very much to think about. In fact the knowledge on this site can be overwhelming at times. You're in good hands here - just provide us every little secret of your jeep, and we'll show you nirvana.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The body and shackle lift with 31" tires was, as bruin pointed out, just a step in the right direction. There are no gear ratio, spring, steering or driveline modifications to contend with now. Meaning you can get out on the trails now and still be street worthy. All your upgrades can be added without being substituted and leaving brand new parts in the corner of the garage because you needed an extra inch of lift. I can go on and on with the advantages of just a small shackle lift, a one inch body lift and the comfort of stock springs but I would rather finish this beer.

Poke around some of the builds. I predict there will be an end all lift thread coming in the future thay will answer all questions.

Luck Favours The Prepared

Tags
advice , lift , noob , tires , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in