Securing _____ From Theft - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
On one motor, I diverted the power to the starter to operate a 6v klaxon on 12v.
It made a very loud and very scary when the starter was operated.
Naturally, the car didn't start.

On the only occasion I saw, the guy came out the car as white as a sheet blabbering he only wanted to move the car.

I think this is a 12v klaxon on 12v.

There's a 6v klaxon for sale here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2746594949...cAAOSw6ZpgDv0l
That's hilarious, and we'll worth doing. Just went down the klaxon horn internet rabbit hole for the last 20 minutes.

Between that horn and putting the William Hung version of "She bangs" on loop full volume, this YJ might be theft proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmy5qrvaVQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 02:25 PM
cobra30689

Garage
A couple of plans I have in mind......once I get around to the stereo, drill a hole in the sub box and bolt a large eyelet into the side with large washers. Bicycle cable and lock through the eyelet and around the sport bar. Sure, a thief could eventually break the MDF by hitting the eyelet with a hammer, but I doubt they would put in the effort. As far as immobilization is concerned.....either of 2 things. I have an older YJ that I LS swapped.....so I can either unplug the ground wire from the starter relay (meant as a neutral safety for automatic vehicles, but on a manual its just grounded) or pop the PCM relay out of the fuse box. I highly doubt a typical thief is going to carry a mini GM relay, or is going to stick around long enough to diagnose the no-start lol
post #63 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 04:52 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why do I feel like such a ****** for doing this? lol

For fun, I borrowed one of The Club's from work and put it on my YJ. Then I took it off.

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.

Last edited by cas6969; 06-02-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added video fail!

post #64 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 06:15 PM
GTS225

WOW, Cas......that's just sad.

Roger
post #65 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't feel like that. I'm sure this simple video will save someone their money or car. For every newbie like me that's been on numerous other forums and doesn't mind asking what might seem like dumb questions, there are so many more lurking trying to get the answers from other peoples questions and threads.

Anyone can (and has) said oh that club is easy to remove. Or whatever else someone might say about anything else. You just backed up your words and showed it to us. It's the same as saying this or that mod will or won't work, and then seeing someone succeed or fail with that mod. Or adjustments made to make it work. It's proven out over time.

To be honest, the search function on this forum leaves a lot to be desired, so getting good information isn't always easy for someone lurking to get. I thank you for that simple and very surprising video.
post #66 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 06:43 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thing is I kind of like the idea, you know as an added layer of protection. But you can't argue with the obvious. Like most "security" items on the market, if they'd only spend a little more money and time on a better lock they would be miles better as a product. It's a shame.

I have a storage/tool box in the back of my Jeep that I won't put anything in because I know it's easy so open, either by unlocking or through force. It belonged to a relative who bought it for their YJ 30+ years ago and never used it. I put it in my Jeep and never even bothered to bolt it down! Why keep it in there? I was kind of hoping someone would steal it and save me the conflicted feelings about throwing it out. lol

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #67 of 71 Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
My older daughter lives in San Diego. I'll probably take you up on that offer. Plus, I still need to get jbolty his replacement ashtray that was stolen from his yj 15 or so years ago. Every time I think yj and San Diego that's is my first thought. He doesn't need the ashtray as much as I need to get that out of my head lol

I think I have a Sierra Wireless RV50X laying around as well as an extra working sim card. The plan was to use that for full time internet both during use and for other security and fun. I also have a Shorai 14Ah 12v lithium battery that I plan to hide somewhere to power the router, cameras, and maybe security. It'll be charged along with the starter battery. I plan on driving it regularly so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm figuring it'll probably end up being my dd.

All in all, I want this to be an extremely fun project on a lot of fronts.

Sure, be happy to help. I am sure jbolty wouldn't mind getting his ashtray. I'll be bothering him for awhile to assist with some upgrades with his expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas6969 View Post
Why do I feel like such a ****** for doing this? lol

For fun, I borrowed one of The Club's from work and put it on my YJ. Then I took it off.

https://youtu.be/bToFOG3HOD0
https://youtu.be/IoiFflk9k0k

awesome video. didn't know it was that quick to unlock.
post #68 of 71 Old 06-04-2021, 02:50 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's hilarious, and we'll worth doing. Just went down the klaxon horn internet rabbit hole for the last 20 minutes.

Between that horn and putting the William Hung version of "She bangs" on loop full volume, this YJ might be theft proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmy5qrvaVQ
Mine has a ooogah horn, but this is better.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #69 of 71 Old 06-04-2021, 03:31 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
My older daughter lives in San Diego. I'll probably take you up on that offer. Plus, I still need to get jbolty his replacement ashtray that was stolen from his yj 15 or so years ago. Every time I think yj and San Diego that's is my first thought. He doesn't need the ashtray as much as I need to get that out of my head lol

I think I have a Sierra Wireless RV50X laying around as well as an extra working sim card. The plan was to use that for full time internet both during use and for other security and fun. I also have a Shorai 14Ah 12v lithium battery that I plan to hide somewhere to power the router, cameras, and maybe security. It'll be charged along with the starter battery. I plan on driving it regularly so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm figuring it'll probably end up being my dd.

All in all, I want this to be an extremely fun project on a lot of fronts.
lol. Ashtray was stolen out of my Oldsmobile station wagon but you're still welcome to come visit any time, I'm in El Cajon now. Everyone is welcome.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #70 of 71 Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
lol. Ashtray was stolen out of my Oldsmobile station wagon but you're still welcome to come visit any time, I'm in El Cajon now. Everyone is welcome.

The ashtray story is just one of the most hilariously sad things I've heard. No one was harmed so it can be funny. But it's still just sad lol.
post #71 of 71 Old 06-05-2021, 07:13 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Securing hallf doors

I haven’t read all seven pages.

Securing half doors:
I removed the rod from the pivot button lock/unlock at the latch release handle so that only the key outside could unlock.
Whenever unattended I’d lock the doors with the key. Harder to get, no missing doors.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in