Securing _____ From Theft - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 02:03 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One old school technique was fuel cutoff, with enough in the carb for the vehicle to go 50 or 100 feet. At that point the thief probably is attracting too much attention in the road and will likely flee.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is this thread making anyone else feel super lucky and/or super paranoid? Between stealing stuff under the hood, stealing radios, doors, windows, catalytic converter, and just stealing the whole thing... I'm feeling a little lucky that I haven't ever really worried about most of this stuff but also a little paranoid that people are desperate/crazy even steal this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 02:42 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Is this thread making anyone else feel super lucky and/or super paranoid? Between stealing stuff under the hood, stealing radios, doors, windows, catalytic converter, and just stealing the whole thing... I'm feeling a little lucky that I haven't ever really worried about most of this stuff but also a little paranoid that people are desperate/crazy even steal this stuff.
Truth is, I've never had any serious theft. Live in a boring neighborhood I guess. But not everyone is as lucky.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #34 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 02:47 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You have some great options mentioned already, but I felt like chiming in...Consider, for a moment, how theft is likely to occur: #1 Casual walk-by: Reaches in and grabs things quickly. #2 2nd walk-by after finding your jeep the night or two before and being a little brave: Has a screwdriver or crowbar this time. #3 an amateur thief: Has a few tools and patience, looking for a score and wants to walk off with stuff like tires. #4 dedicated car jacker: Has tools, patience, a friend and maybe a jack. #5 semi-pro or pro: has a trailer/dolly/flatbed and a few helpers.

Put the jeep in different places frequently. Park it sideways or backwards once in a while. Put it into a tight squeeze so it can't be easily rolled up to, or rolled out. Chain the axle to something big. Rig up a floodlight or alarm that's motion or touch activated, and even better if it can send a signal to your bedroom (like a ring camera). Get in the habit of checking on it randomly, especially after 9 PM and in the rain. With a little thought you can frustrate all but a pro, and even then you can make your ride an unappealing target to most attempts.
post #35 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 03:07 PM
Aljal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my hood lock is bent a piece of scrap

if I park somewhere im worried about I pop the main wire into the distributor off and throw the hood lock on

and removing the interior lock rods from half doors is like a 10 minutes job just be careful with all the old plastic

img_20140604_171951_924.jpg
img_20140604_173235_127.jpg
post #36 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Waternut, I will be the first to say that I tend to overthink things in the sense that with something like security I would rather think of every possibility and figure out the most efficient ways to prevent it as much as possible. That being said, it's a numbers game. I happen to live in a state that has as many people as Australia. I'm not sure that the per capita rates are much different in a lot of places, but with the numbers being what they are, it's smarter to think about it in advance.

For a number of years I lived in a place where I never locked my doors on my car or house. That part was nice, but some of the tradeoffs weren't worth it for me. I'm very happy for those that live in that type of setting that fits for them. And I feel very fortunate that I had this amazing deal fall into my lap. My girls were raised here without incident, and we've had a good life.

I got this YJ for an amazing deal. It's not something I would pay full pop for, but I've always wanted one. I had someone offer my friend $5k for it as is at his place. The dash is out, the tank is removed, it looks like it's been sitting in a yard for 12 years (it did), the interior is shot to hell, and they didn't know if it runs. So to me, it's much more valuable to some others out there than what I paid for it. That being said, I don't plan on ever selling it. It's going to be a fun project to enjoy fixing up and driving with my family.

The cheapest YJ I've seen in this area are well over $5k, with most being $8k-15k+. As much as I've always wanted one, I wouldn't invest that kind of money into buying one at this time, or in the foreseeable future. So for me, it's this jeep, and it's not something I can replace. So yes I'm overly intent on making sure my jeep ownership is a long one. There's a guy around the corner that has a TJ, but it has a hard top and is in front of his house. So far his seems ok. I'm only paranoid when it makes practical sense. I don't live in fear. If I do these things and someone takes it, it is what it is. But it won't be because I didn't give myself every chance for them not to.
shaggyjim likes this.
post #37 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 08:30 AM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Since my YJ is wide open I've thought about getting one of these for $20
The Club Pedal to Wheel Security Lock
Attached Images

post #38 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That makes a lot of sense. Even if I go with a removable steering wheel, this would be good for when I'm out and about.

Anyone have recommendations on a model that works well? I know some of these are built much better than others.
post #39 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 02:02 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

California eh?

Lol

I can comment on the McGards.

I used them. They do what they say they do.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #40 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bruin, I'll keep them in mind if the interior lock disconnect doesn't work out.

Yup, California. There are a LOT of things you can legitimately complain about regarding the state. On the flip side, there are plenty of positives in living here that for me outweigh those. It's not for everyone, but I like it.
post #41 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 03:17 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if you have looked into alarm systems but they have systems now that will hit your cell phone the instant your jeep door opens or your hood opens or anything else you can put a switch on. Sounds like something that would be great with your jeep being parked behind a building out of sight.
post #42 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizekrakr View Post
I don't know if you have looked into alarm systems but they have systems now that will hit your cell phone the instant your jeep door opens or your hood opens or anything else you can put a switch on. Sounds like something that would be great with your jeep being parked behind a building out of sight.
This is something that was in the original plan to have done before the Jeep came home. I'm looking forward to installing some of the security that was originally planned for it. But that'll have to wait for another time. Hopefully soon.

As it is, tomorrow will finally be Jeep day. We have to get it back together, running properly, and do as much as we can do to check the boxes on the list of security items discussed in this thread.

Tuesday will be me praying it passes smog inspection so I can get tags to make it street drivable and have the ability to park on streets.

The delays have really backed me into a hole time wise. All of this and more was supposed to be done by this point.
post #43 of 71 Old 05-30-2021, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone here used one of these? It seems to be a better hood lock than the standard ones by tuffy.

They are pretty old school and I have seen them under a lot of different brands when looking for them (almost all defunct and no longer available). They also have an ignition cutoff that might be adaptable to a fuel cutoff instead. I'm mostly interested in the locking feature.

From what I can tell they used to be fairly cheap. But now they are harder to find (for me at least) and overpriced when I can find them.

Maybe someone has insight into how effective they are, and where I can find one for a decent price.
Attached Thumbnails
61MxFnQU-1L_1622420627605._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
post #44 of 71 Old 05-31-2021, 08:11 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer58 View Post
Since my YJ is wide open I've thought about getting one of these for $20
The Club Pedal to Wheel Security Lock
My cousin owned a mid 60's Corvette in Cleveland OH and didnt live in the best neighborhood. He wrapped a big chain around his brake pedal and then around the steering column with a big lock. That would solve the absence of a steering wheel. It may not stop a pro thief with a tow truck but definitely stop a joy rider. You have to think too, would a pro thief really want to steal a 30 year old Wrangler with so many higher profitable vehicles out there? Yeah, its a possibility but I would think they wouldnt bother. That cuts down how serious you need to be about protecting your Jeep. Spray the chain bright orange so the joy rider will see it and say its too much work.

Oh yeah, move! LOL!
post #45 of 71 Old 05-31-2021, 10:14 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

We have a bunch of golf carts at work and have “The Club” to secure them. I can rake them open in about ten seconds. They will dissuade someone who doesn’t have a hacksaw or YouTube and some paper clips.

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in