3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 07:03 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
So if the door is locked it can't be removed?

If so I have a follow up question. Can power locks be added to half doors? Just thinking since I might have a disconnect fob why not add door lock capability if it's possible?
LOL! Im not sure bud but you should be able to do a handle delete on them like was big in the 90's and use the fob to pop the doors.

EDIT: Shaving the handles I think it was called.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Securing _____ From Theft

Quote:
So if the door is locked it can't be removed?

If so I have a follow up question. Can power locks be added to half doors? Just thinking since I might have a disconnect fob why not add door lock capability if it's possible?

Pretty much. Unhook one side and try it out. No different than trying to open a door on a YJ with it locked. The handle opens but the door doesn’t.

If you unbolt the hinges you Might be able to bend and twist the door open/off, but at that point what’s the point of stealing a broken door.

Most small thefts are smash and grabs unless they’re after the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein
post #18 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
LOL! Im not sure bud but you should be able to do a handle delete on them like was big in the 90's and use the fob to pop the doors.

EDIT: Shaving the handles I think it was called.
Wow that's a small jump in the wayback machine lol. If I had any fab skills and went along this line of thought, I might end up being the owner of the only Lambo/gullwing half door YJ

My friend had the keys with him when his truck was stolen. They were fast and good. If they want my jeep, it's gone. I'm trying to secure against lesser attempts.

post #19 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 09:11 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

IMO some of the best deterrents to theft is just making it weird and non standard. My key can lock and unlock the steering column but I have a separate ignition switch and starter button. If you want to get super weird, you could run two switches to control ignition (one up and one down if you aren't OCD about that kind of thing). That way someone can't do the obvious thing and flip all of the switches on hoping one of them controls something important. Then don't label the switches. If you want another idea...label one switch "ignition on" but have it trigger an alarm.

I think removable steering wheel and fuel pump interrupt are some of the cleanest and easiest solutions. You could also run a battery disconnect under the hood for long term storage and assuming you put the hood locks on. I'm not a fan of wheel locks because I'm more likely to forget it myself...did that with a trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 10:12 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

MOVE OUT OF THE CITY!
Problem solved.
post #21 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
MOVE OUT OF THE CITY!
Problem solved.
Thank you for that amazing post and insight. Some of us can't or don't want to live in a super remote area like your do.

While I wouldn't mind a serious upgrade, it's not as bad overall as I might have made it sound. That being said, moving isn't an option. Just like a full time dog in the back seat or getting a gun aren't for this situation. But thank you. I'll keep living in BFE in mind if it ever comes to that. With my luck I'll move into deliverance country on accident...
Tophog1 likes this.
post #22 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You won't move into a "Deliverance" County if you do research beforehand.

To each his own, I like living where crime is nearly non existent, people wave to each other and most of us get along. If you like having to check 6 every few seconds, more power to ya.

"If it ever comes to that" is too late, you establish yourself beforehand, not after the fact.

In all seriousness, People far smarter than I, have long stated: You never want to be a refugee.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.
post #23 of 71 Old 05-28-2021, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

In all honesty, I have friends and family that live all over the country. Some of it is just amazing, and every area has its tradeoffs. The ones I'm making living here are worth it for me at this time.

That being said, the trade-off is being smart about reality and making sure my new toy doesn't become someone else's by being prepared.

In that same vein, I'm also ordering some bright orange high heat exhaust paint for my catalytic converters. And probably buying a Dremel to engrave my VIN into it as well.
post #24 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 12:11 AM
Delta0

Quote:
My build has been seriously delayed for various reasons. Due to that, I wasn't able to get any of the security measures I had planned on in place. The YJ is coming to my place this week, and I'm trying to make sure that I at least cover the basics. Theft is an issue in my area, so I'm trying to be proactive. It'll be safari top and half doors. I don't plan on leaving anything of value in the jeep, so securing the jeep itself is my primary focus. I can add secure storage later.

The basics for me will be:

Securing the half doors. I don't plan on going doorless for the time being. I have looked up the McGard hinge locks and Tuffy door locks. Any input on these or any other way to secure the would be great.

Hood. I ordered a hood latch lock so my battery doesn't go missing. I'm planning on getting something more secure, but for now that'll stop a casual thief. I hope. These is an old school cable lock that includes a starter cutoff. It uses a round vending machine key and simply pushes in to lock. I like the concept a lot, but finding a decently priced one at the moment has been a challenge. I wouldn't mind finding an updated solution if one is available.

Audio. Using a small marine amp with bluetooth built in. So it won't have a head unit to tempt someone. When we go on rides I drive and my daughter is the DJ, so we don't really use the radio as much as we used to. Can stream radio if we really want it.

YJ. I plan on having an alarm with basic proximity and cutoffs. I'm also looking into one of the various cutoffs that I can use with a remote. I have read a ton of threads on this, but some of them are pretty old. I figure there is probably an alarm that will have all of this that isn't going to empty the bank lol

I know a determined thief will get my Jeep if they really want it, just like anything. My original plan was to add an extra (hidden lever) front parking brake to it so someone couldn't roll off with it, but there isn't time for that at the moment. My biggest concern is someone doing just that. This will be parked behind my apartment building in the alley. It's in a parking spot, but I wouldn't be able to hear or see if someone is messing with it.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it more of a pain/hassle to bother with stealing than it's worth to them. No, a gun won't help if I can't see them. No, I can't park a dog in it indefinitely. I was looking into some quick release wheel immobilizers, but they have mixed reviews. Plus, I don't want to make it a huge ordeal when I want to hop in and drive it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

And since there is no trunk, there can't be a trunk monkey...
Quote -

Theft — With all the new high-tech theft-deterrent devices out there, it's easy to forget that a simple car cover can protect your vehicle from thieves.

Lots more references here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+c...4dUDCA4&uact=5

It seems logical to me that if a tea leaf can't see it, he's more likely to leave your motor alone.

Since a cover also protects your motor against all sorts of nasties, it seems the most rewarding way to protect your motor from thieves.

Last edited by Delta0; 05-29-2021 at 12:22 AM.
post #25 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 01:52 AM
nikvon
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For manual trans I use a long shackle padlock around both the clutch and brake pedal arms.
post #26 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 03:09 AM
Delta0

A delay device / timer in parallel with a kill switch means a thief can drive off, only to find he's stolen a dud car.

The thief is far more likely to bunk off at that stage, than to try to mend your car.
post #27 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The goal of this thread was to figure out what I could do to secure the jeep immediately, as all of the fancy ideas I had will have to wait until another time. Everyone here has given me some great advice. Here's what I have come up with so far that will be done asap.

Wheel Locks. I'll be going with the set Luuca suggested. Since my jeep currently looks like a parts car, it makes sense that simple things might deter people until it starts looking better. I'll keep using them once it starts rounding into shape.

Kill Switch/Cutoff. I'm going to see if my buddy has the parts to set up a fob based fuel cutoff. If not, we'll do something manual until I can get the needed parts. Don, and anyone else, I would appreciate any pointers on the best way to so this. Grounding and other electrical issues are a part of the YJ life, so your experiences are invaluable.

Interior Door Handle Disconnect. A simple but excellent solution .I can see it being a pain to reach outside to open the door. But that can't be that much of a deal breaker. If it is we'll get one of the hinge lock or lock nut sets. These seem to be the immediate options available. Once the jeep reaches the stage of upgrading, I'll figure it out from there.

Hood Lock. I'll be using a standard hood lock, but changing out the lock cylinder for one that can have the key removed when unlocked. There is another style I prefer, but timing makes this the go to for now.

Catalytic Converter. Very high temp paint on the cat in orange, as well as etching the vin into it should deter most cat thieves. $20 to protect a $450 part seems like simple math. My daughters boyfriend just had his stolen and it's so prevalent that his cat is on backorder for 6 weeks. Honda accord for the record. If the Jeep gets lifted, we'll have to figure out what color makes sense lol

Car Cover. I hadn't even thought about this for anti theft, but will be getting one. The main reason being that the front quarter of my car currently parked there is under no less than 3 converging sets of telephone, cable, electric lines, and looks like I painted it in some horribly bad bird poop camo. The Jeep is actually about 2.5 feet shorter than that vehicle, so it won't get hit like that. But it will get hit. I think this definitely falls under security in some form lol

Grant Type Steering Wheel. I'm not sure I can do this immediately, but am strongly considering it. Jim, you make a good point about having it off when it's parked at home. That makes sense. My only experience with them was seeing someone walking around when a steering wheel and thinking "that's too much work". So I wasn't looking at it in the more practical way.

There are other very good suggestions I've seen here, but these so far are what we'll try and get done in the next few days. There are some advanced anti theft and theft recovery plans that aren't a priority at the moment. Very much looking forward to implementing them once the jeep ready for it.

If anyone has other thoughts or ideas, please let me know. This type of thread can only help others that are looking for ways to secure their own jeeps.
post #28 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 12:17 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The interior handle disconnect is not the handle but the lock. That was the only way to unlock the door with us with the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein
post #29 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 12:48 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post

Not having a stereo is the best deterrent against opportunists and meth-heads looking for an easy score of $20 from the local pawn etc. That said, a solid metal center console with a lock is another good way to ward off opportunistic thieves - again, lazy thieves will move on to an easier target.

My approach is a <$100 sound unit. In a noisy YJ anything else is overkill. Not that tempting, and replacing it costs less than the deductable on insurance.

Don't attract too much attention with security equipment. It may suggest that you have something valuable and worth stealing. Be discreet.

If they want something, they'll often find a way to get it. I demonstrated that to my wife's daughter who lost the key to her fancy bike lock. Literally 2 seconds with the angle grinder freed the bike.

I'm wondering if an internet connected security camera, especially if it visibly flashes a picture, may discourage some of the thieves if they think they might be identified. (Won't work in CA, no one gets prosecuted there)

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #30 of 71 Old 05-29-2021, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
The interior handle disconnect is not the handle but the lock. That was the only way to unlock the door with us with the key
That's even better! Definitely doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
My approach is a <$100 sound unit. In a noisy YJ anything else is overkill. Not that tempting, and replacing it costs less than the deductable on insurance.

I'm wondering if an internet connected security camera, especially if it visibly flashes a picture, may discourage some of the thieves if they think they might be identified. (Won't work in CA, no one gets prosecuted there)
The audio won't have a head unit. It'll be bluetooth, with plugin options I can add later if needed.

As a techie guy, I plan on having fun with security at a later time. For now it was just securing it in the near term. Future mods include fully time internet and gps tracking, with cameras and two way audio so I can see, record, and speak, to the would be thieves. On a separate hidden battery of course.

Also in the plan are custom alarms that'll be very distinctive and catch peoples attention. The standard alarm sounds are so worn out that if someone actually even turns their head when they hear one it's a surprise.

But that's all for another thread once I can finally get to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in