JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Securing _____ From Theft (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/securing-_____-theft-4433995/)

93YJ4FUN 05-28-2021 09:40 AM

Securing _____ From Theft

My build has been seriously delayed for various reasons. Due to that, I wasn't able to get any of the security measures I had planned on in place. The YJ is coming to my place this week, and I'm trying to make sure that I at least cover the basics. Theft is an issue in my area, so I'm trying to be proactive. It'll be safari top and half doors. I don't plan on leaving anything of value in the jeep, so securing the jeep itself is my primary focus. I can add secure storage later.

The basics for me will be:

Securing the half doors. I don't plan on going doorless for the time being. I have looked up the McGard hinge locks and Tuffy door locks. Any input on these or any other way to secure the would be great.

Hood. I ordered a hood latch lock so my battery doesn't go missing. I'm planning on getting something more secure, but for now that'll stop a casual thief. I hope. These is an old school cable lock that includes a starter cutoff. It uses a round vending machine key and simply pushes in to lock. I like the concept a lot, but finding a decently priced one at the moment has been a challenge. I wouldn't mind finding an updated solution if one is available.

Audio. Using a small marine amp with bluetooth built in. So it won't have a head unit to tempt someone. When we go on rides I drive and my daughter is the DJ, so we don't really use the radio as much as we used to. Can stream radio if we really want it.

YJ. I plan on having an alarm with basic proximity and cutoffs. I'm also looking into one of the various cutoffs that I can use with a remote. I have read a ton of threads on this, but some of them are pretty old. I figure there is probably an alarm that will have all of this that isn't going to empty the bank lol

I know a determined thief will get my Jeep if they really want it, just like anything. My original plan was to add an extra (hidden lever) front parking brake to it so someone couldn't roll off with it, but there isn't time for that at the moment. My biggest concern is someone doing just that. This will be parked behind my apartment building in the alley. It's in a parking spot, but I wouldn't be able to hear or see if someone is messing with it.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it more of a pain/hassle to bother with stealing than it's worth to them. No, a gun won't help if I can't see them. No, I can't park a dog in it indefinitely. I was looking into some quick release wheel immobilizers, but they have mixed reviews. Plus, I don't want to make it a huge ordeal when I want to hop in and drive it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

And since there is no trunk, there can't be a trunk monkey...

jeep_boy02 05-28-2021 12:22 PM

Got anything to attach it to? What about a chain or cable ran through a wheel or two?

I've also put ignition and fuel pump kill switches in place before. But if you're worried about them just rolling off with it anything disabling it starting really won't help anyhow

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

222Doc 05-28-2021 12:49 PM

well they are light enough to drag up on a flat bed rather easy. hard to stop those guys and other that are good. The crack head kill switch might do or a few even.

Other then digging a ground anchor and a big chain.

I m not saying to do this.........nor recommend it....But i had an issue once with a valued car dogs would pee on the wheels. So one day ran some isolated wire from our Field fence' shock box system this ran near a mile loop. we cant have barbed wire there. I hooked that car up and since its on rubber tires the car is just like that wire we run, waiting. Once anything touches it you are ground, even pee. It only took one shocking to make them never do that again and on any other vehicle.

but a newer vehicle i wonder if what i did then might fry the system?

93YJ4FUN 05-28-2021 01:22 PM

23 Attachment(s)
I appreciate the suggestions. I'd pay a person to stand there with a cattle prod if it were feasible lol.

Where it'll be parked it might be hard for a flatbed to get at it properly. I'm thinking more of a two wheel tow truck or a truck with a quick tow attachment.

I'll be looking at different ways to do things over this weekend.

Luuca 05-28-2021 01:44 PM

https://www.amazon.com/VaygWay-Stabi...2230856&sr=8-4

I have a set of these i put on the parts vehicles we leave outside. It wont stop bums from living in them apparently, but they cannot be rolled away easily. One on the front one on the rear on opposite sides.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1200_.jpg

Less than $50 will keep honest people honest, but a determined "real" thief will not be deterred. Kill switch the Fuel Pump. Let them spend the time to hotwire it and it never starts. Fuel pump kill switch inside a metal locking center console from Tuffy is one of the measures we have taken.

JeeperDon 05-28-2021 02:46 PM

Vehicle theft: Your Jeep has a manual trans, which already eliminates maybe 80% of potential thieves. To that, I just added a hidden kill switch, which is really easy to do and works great. I can give you more info on my setup if interested. With a simple switch, they can still push/tow it, but it stops the walk up awholes.

Half doors: Leave them at home.

Valuables: Buy/build a secure console or mounted storage box in back.

Audio: Put the head unit in the above secure console.

93YJ4FUN 05-28-2021 03:24 PM

Luuca, I had looked into those and similar wheel locks. The reviews were mixed, although some of them seemed be from people that can't tie their shoes.

I'm certain you wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work for you, so I'll roll with that. Fairly quick and easy to put on and take off?

Don, I don't plan on leaving anything if value in the Jeep. And the audio system will be hidden, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I can't however, leave the doors home. Not yet at least. I would prefer see how we like it as is and go from there. So for now I need to figure out how to keep them on the Jeep lol.

Are there other things I haven't thought of securing, besides the ones mentioned?

If I seem overly concerned about this, it's because I am. I had a run down pos van that was parked for a couple months as it was an extra car. I ended up having someone living in it part time (nods at Luuca). That was after I recovered it from being stolen while I was on a family trip for a week.

Considering I got this YJ for an amazing price, I would like to keep it in one piece, and in my possession, and spend the money fixing and upgrading it, not replacing it

Luuca 05-28-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN (Post 41281583)
Luuca, I had looked into those and similar wheel locks. The reviews were mixed, although some of them seemed be from people that can't tie their shoes.

I'm certain you wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work for you, so I'll roll with that. Fairly quick and easy to put on and take off?

Don, I don't plan on leaving anything if value in the Jeep. And the audio system will be hidden, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I can't however, leave the doors home. Not yet at least. I would prefer see how we like it as is and go from there. So for now I need to figure out how to keep them on the Jeep lol.

Yes - the wheel locks are easy to put on and take off; however they do not cover the lug nuts. A clever thief may see the jeep and the locks, come with a set of spares, and still roll it away. We have used that set of wheel locks on 3 different XJs in the back of the building - all of them is some form of stripped down for parts. They never moved.

The main point is to present as hard a target as you can. Visually the wheel locks will stop the opportunist thief from rolling it onto a dolly trailer and driving it away. Lazy thieves will move on to an easier target.

I now use both of the wheel locks on my travel trailer in the storage facility.

The fuel pump ground disconnect/kill switch will allow the experienced thief to hotwire the ignition, but never know that the fuel pump won't pump gas. It may end up with a few cut wires under the dash, but if it won't run, he can't drive it away. They don't and won't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it won't run, they will jump back into the delivery driver's car and leave.

Not having a stereo is the best deterrent against opportunists and meth-heads looking for an easy score of $20 from the local pawn etc. That said, a solid metal center console with a lock is another good way to ward off opportunistic thieves - again, lazy thieves will move on to an easier target.

An alarm system is good. A nice noisy one, but most are easily defeated by experienced thieves. It will ward away opportunists though. A hood lock will also help in that arena as well as it makes it a longer process to get to the actual siren and wiring.

The half-door locks I've never used, so I can't speak to their effectiveness. That said, if you present an obstacle, you will deter an opportunist.

Present a multi-layered defense and most thieves will find an easier target. Professional car thieves probably aren't out targeting YJs when Hondas and other vehicles part out just as easily have have greater demand for used parts.

Wookiedave 05-28-2021 04:30 PM

Are there any rental storage in the area? I know some of the places around here that have rental storage units also have parking spots.

shaggyjim 05-28-2021 06:09 PM

I would use the steering wheel removal and lock kit myself, if you cant drive it you cant steal it. A guy I know with a Toyota has a remote cutout wired to his ignition circuit that runs off a key fob and works well. I have one in an Amazon box sitting on the welder waiting to go into my jeep as soon as I get around to it.:grin2:

93YJ4FUN 05-28-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuca (Post 41281613)

The fuel pump ground disconnect/kill switch will allow the experienced thief to hotwire the ignition, but never know that the fuel pump won't pump gas. It may end up with a few cut wires under the dash, but if it won't run, he can't drive it away. They don't and won't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it won't run, they will jump back into the delivery driver's car and leave.

That said, a solid metal center console with a lock is another good way to ward off opportunistic thieves - again, lazy thieves will move on to an easier target.

An alarm system is good. A nice noisy one, but most are easily defeated by experienced thieves. It will ward away opportunists though. A hood lock will also help in that arena as well as it makes it a longer process to get to the actual siren and wiring.

The half-door locks I've never used, so I can't speak to their effectiveness. That said, if you present an obstacle, you will deter an opportunist.

Present a multi-layered defense and most thieves will find an easier target. Professional car thieves probably aren't out targeting YJs when Hondas and other vehicles part out just as easily have have greater demand for used parts.

The goal is to make it as unappetizing as possible to the casual/opportunistic thief as well as someone that is more sophisticated but not a pro. There are plenty of semi pro thieves in these parts. Plenty of good people too, but I'm not concerned with them regarding this lol

I plan on getting a solid center console at some point, but since I need to get new seats I'd rather make sure everything fits properly. As of Monday, I'll be at the point with the jeep I thought I would be at weeks ago. So for now I'm just working on securing it so I have something to upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiedave (Post 41281619)
Are there any rental storage in the area? I know some of the places around here that have rental storage units also have parking spots.

Storage in this area has gone through the roof over this last year. And most storage lots won't let you do any type of work to a stored vehicle. Car storage in my storage place went from $88 a month to over $250. No thank you. I'd rather invest into anti theft that will be an investment in the jeeps future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggyjim (Post 41281665)
I would use the steering wheel removal and lock kit myself, if you cant drive it you cant steal it. A guy I know with a Toyota has a remote cutout wired to his ignition circuit that runs off a key fob and works well. I have one in an Amazon box sitting on the welder waiting to go into my jeep as soon as I get around to it.:grin2:

I have given the Grant type wheel a lot of thought. The main issue I have with it is that it's extremely inconvenient to carry it around every time you leave the car. I'm not always lazy, but the truth is that I would probably leave it on at the wrong time and that's that. My buddy went into a 7-11 last Thursday and came out to an empty spot where is full sized truck and attached trailer were. I want to use things that I know I'll use. I know I wouldn't take it off for 7-11 lol

There seem to be a lot of ways to do a cutoff. Fuel, Ignition, Starter. I know the ASD relay handles all of those from reading up here. Could I just wire a remote with an ASD cutoff? I would say a Crankshaft sensor cutoff, but that's just inviting a trip into the no fun zone I think.

AZdEvilYJ 05-28-2021 06:53 PM

Iíve seen where you disable the interior half door lock. Itís only a rod connected to the key tumbler. Remove from interior door pocket. 10 min per side to do.

Then the latch itself is locked to the body of the jeep only unlocked with the key. You would have to seriously damage them to get it apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZdEvilYJ 05-28-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN (Post 41281685)
The goal is to make it as unappetizing as possible to the casual/opportunistic thief as well as someone that is more sophisticated but not a pro. There are plenty of semi pro thieves in these parts. Plenty of good people too, but I'm not concerned with them regarding this lol

I plan on getting a solid center console at some point, but since I need to get new seats I'd rather make sure everything fits properly. As of Monday, I'll be at the point with the jeep I thought I would be at weeks ago. So for now I'm just working on securing it so I have something to upgrade.

Storage in this area has gone through the roof over this last year. And most storage lots won't let you do any type of work to a stored vehicle. Car storage in my storage place went from $88 a month to over $250. No thank you. I'd rather invest into anti theft that will be an investment in the jeeps future.

I have given the Grant type wheel a lot of thought. The main issue I have with it is that it's extremely inconvenient to carry it around every time you leave the car. I'm not always lazy, but the truth is that I would probably leave it on at the wrong time and that's that. My buddy went into a 7-11 last Thursday and came out to an empty spot where is full sized truck and attached trailer were. I want to use things that I know I'll use. I know I wouldn't take it off for 7-11 lol

There seem to be a lot of ways to do a cutoff. Fuel, Ignition, Starter. I know the ASD relay handles all of those from reading up here. Could I just wire a remote with an ASD cutoff? I would say a Crankshaft sensor cutoff, but that's just inviting a trip into the no fun zone I think.

Weíre trying to deter theft behind the alley here, not a scenario where you walk into the gas station and come out 2 min later to an empty spot. Thatís just crap luck.

The steering wheel removal would only be practical where you park and leave the Jeep for extended periods of time. Any other time just leave it attached

shaggyjim 05-28-2021 06:56 PM

Why would you take the steering wheel off when you're out and about? Im talking about overnight storage and such. If someone is going to steel your jeep at 7-11 you might as well just wave at them as they go by because nothing is going to stop them if you don't take your keys with you like your buddy most likely did. Other that that get a Lowjack installed and the cops will bring it back to you when its gone.

93YJ4FUN 05-28-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ (Post 41281687)
Iíve seen where you disable the interior half door lock. Itís only a rod connected to the key tumbler. Remove from interior door pocket. 10 min per side to do.

Then the latch itself is locked to the body of the jeep only unlocked with the key. You would have to seriously damage them to get it apart

So if the door is locked it can't be removed?

If so I have a follow up question. Can power locks be added to half doors? Just thinking since I might have a disconnect fob why not add door lock capability if it's possible?

The time now is 04:51 AM.