Saving moms YJ - TJ Chassis Swap? - JeepForum.com
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
MOMSMACJEEP

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Saving moms YJ - TJ Chassis Swap?

My moms 1995 Sahara 4.0L 5 speed frame is rotted badly. I plan to keep piecing it together for her but we want to eventually swap a TJ chassis under it. We are both huge MacGyver fans and love the square lights, so we don't want to sell it for a TJ. How much and where should we look for a rolling chassis? I'd prefer a Rubicon chassis, but I can build that with time.

/l ,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Why go with a TJ frame? You can source a used YJ frame or there are comapnies making new frames as well. One offers a hot dip galvanizing option with 10 year rust warranty. If going to a TJ frame, you'd either have to also go to TJ axles/suspension(coil springs/control arms), or else adapt YJ(leaf springs) suspension to a TJ frame.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
post #3 of 40 Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m not entirely sure a rubicon chassis is an upgrade! Tons of body mount issues.

If it has axles (the only reason I could think a rubicon frame is an advantage if it is an advantage) those are weaker renditions of their historic predecessors. You can be stronger with nice parts in the D30 and an 8.8 which are both less money than D44s and the 31 spline 8.8 is a much stronger than a 44 in oem form.

A YJ donor frame in decent shape can be had for a couple grand or so.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 40 Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM
mudbug85603

This will be safer and likely less expensive than a bunch of hacked up frame pieces welded together https://www.throttledownkustoms.com/...1987-1995.html or do you want Mom riding around in a potential death trap?
post #5 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The YJ body won't simply sit on a TJ frame. The TJ frame also is fairly notorious for ripping the front track bar out of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 PM
mudbug85603

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The TJ frame also is fairly notorious for ripping the front track bar out of the frame.
First time I ever heard that... I have had a TJ for several years with no issues with frame or trackbars. Then again I don't run stock crap with drop brackets either.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, last year my buddies ripped out on Little Sluice on the Rubicon. While limping him out came across two others that had had it happen in the past and then early this summer a co-workers boyfriend had the same happen on the Rubicon. All stock mounts ripped right off the frame. Could also have something to do with the type of wheeling. I never had an issue with the TJ I had but it was also a little 4 banger on 33's that never really left the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 AM
mudbug85603

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Yep, last year my buddies ripped out on Little Sluice on the Rubicon. While limping him out came across two others that had had it happen in the past and then early this summer a co-workers boyfriend had the same happen on the Rubicon. All stock mounts ripped right off the frame. Could also have something to do with the type of wheeling. I never had an issue with the TJ I had but it was also a little 4 banger on 33's that never really left the pavement.
Sounds like it's isolated occurrence instead of notorious, likely caused by improper trackbar lengths or poorly setup suspension.
post #9 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 05:37 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
Sounds like it's isolated occurrence instead of notorious, likely caused by improper trackbar lengths or poorly setup suspension.
Its definitly a pretty common thing. It is isolated to wheelers but its common among them especially if you really wheel your rig. I have heard about it many times and seem it happen myself about 6 times

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 05:58 AM
mudbug85603

I know of many TJ owners including myself that wheel their rigs hard with no issues with trackbars. Like I said before, it sounds like improper suspension setup to me. That's just my opinion as I know nothing about what others that have suffered from that have done.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you buy a TJ frame, you also buy a lot of cutting, welding, and work to get it to fit. Your best bet if you want to "save" the YJ, is to do exactly what others have said, buy a clean YJ frame and perform the swap. A swap like this gives you an excellent opportunity to put every nut and bolt, bushing, body panel, and wiring issue back together as a fresh rebuild. While a TJ frame would simply be an opportunity to relocate body mounts, buy various miscellaneous parts like skid plates and drive shafts, etc. while you try and figure out how to set the body on the frame.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #12 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like he didnt like what he was hearing and dissapeared. Hope he loves his Momma enough to do this right.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
MOMSMACJEEP

1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Ravenbar;40708445]Why go with a TJ frame? You can source a used YJ frame or there are comapnies making new frames as well. One offers a hot dip galvanizing option with 10 year rust warranty. If going to a TJ frame, you'd either have to also go to TJ axles/suspension(coil springs/control arms), or else adapt YJ(leaf springs) suspension to a TJ frame.[/QUOTE

Me and my dad want to swap to the coil spring setup since it is and will be primarily a pavement princess until I inherit it. I have read a couple forums doing a TJ frame swap wasn't very difficult. I thought the tubs lined up? It needs some tub patches on the sides and new front fenders due to rust. It is a hard-to-find Sahara that we all would like to save.

/l ,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
post #14 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
MOMSMACJEEP

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Looks like he didnt like what he was hearing and dissapeared. Hope he loves his Momma enough to do this right.
Sorry about the delay, had a lot going on. I need to make room for it in the shop, I have a cousins ranger on the lift right now waiting on a transmission

/l ,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
post #15 of 40 Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM
mudbug85603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMSMACJEEP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Why go with a TJ frame? You can source a used YJ frame or there are comapnies making new frames as well. One offers a hot dip galvanizing option with 10 year rust warranty. If going to a TJ frame, you'd either have to also go to TJ axles/suspension(coil springs/control arms), or else adapt YJ(leaf springs) suspension to a TJ frame.
Me and my dad want to swap to the coil spring setup since it is and will be primarily a pavement princess until I inherit it. I have read a couple forums doing a TJ frame swap wasn't very difficult. I thought the tubs lined up? It needs some tub patches on the sides and new front fenders due to rust. It is a hard-to-find Sahara that we all would like to save.
You would be better off buying a TJ that's not a rust bucket...
NHfireLJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in