Is Sailcloth worth it? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is Sailcloth worth it?

With all of my kids home from college this summer, my YJ is going to get more road time. It is way past time for a new soft top, so I am trying to decide which one to get.
All of my original style hardware is in good shape - i replaced everything that was broken or worn a couple of years ago. I am leaning heavily towards the BesTop Replace-a-Top. I have driven JK's, and know that the sailcloth tops are really nice. I am wondering whether sailcloth is worth the extra cost on our YJ's, or if the benefit of quieter cloth is lost with the half-doors, flat windshield, and other sources of wind noise on our YJ's. Anyone have experience with a sailcoth top on a YJ?
Are there any other top options besides the Replace-a-Top I should consider? I am not a fan of the frameless tops, btw. No offense to anyone, they're just not my taste.
Thanks --

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM
jeep63
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have experience with both a Sailcloth top on OEM hardware, and a BesTop Supertop on BesTop hardware.

I felt the Sailcloth top was much quieter (for a YJ) than any other top (I've owned and driven YJs for over 30 years). It is not cooperative in cooler temps though, so if the sun is down and it is cool you will not enjoy the process of putting it back up.

The Supertop is a great top, but does require new hardware. The hardware is a bit less bulky when folded down. The fabric is decent, but the quaility of these really dropped when the company sent manufacturing out of Colorado.

Each top has its advantages/disadvantages. It depends on what you want, and the state of your oem style hardware.

My vote is Sailcloth for durability, OEM look, and quietness (again for a YJ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, jeep63. I know a YJ is never going to be as quiet as a Bentley, but if the sailcloth reduces wind noise enough that I can hear the tire roar at highway speed, that will be a win.
I appreciate the heads-up about cold weather. Back in the day, I was taught not to fold a convertible if the temperature is under 60. I know plastics and materials have improved, but that 60 degree rule is probably still good advice.
Thanks again --
zrickety likes this.

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r

post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to have a sailcloth replace-a-top years ago. At first it seemed nice, but it quickly became a pain. Like mentioned above, forget about putting it back up when it is cool, even just a little bit (I'm talking 70's or less). When you wanted to put it back up, even on a warm day (80's to 90's), you had to let it set in direct sunlight for a good bit to soften it up, otherwise forget about it. The problem only got worse as time went on. First year was not so bad, 2nd year started getting frustrating, 3rd year I hated it, 4th year I replaced it with a standard replace-a-top and never looked back. The sailcloth had no rips, tears, or damaged zippers, but I replaced it because of the ridiculously hard time I had putting it back up. I sold it on craigslist.
It was a little quieter, but in my opinion, really not as much as it was claimed to be. Still had to almost yell at the passenger if doing 70 on the interstate.
All in all, it was not worth the extra money over the standard top.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 AM
TripLeader

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a sail cloth for my old TJ. I was very happy I spent the extra cash on it.

I never had issues with it flapping around. I avoided all the cheap top horror stories you hear. It lasted for the whole 4 years I owned the TJ, and i bet the current owner might still be running it.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

IMO, the sail cloth is worth it, But there's the issue with the plastic windows as the cloth fabric top will last longer than the windows. So it's a trade off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in