• 3 Post By Siva283
  • 2 Post By bharris68

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
lionrenegade
1995 YJ Wrangler 

S.O.S. Help please my YJ Does not Start

ok this is the story off the problem:
My ignition switch tost and the ignition key does not turn. so I have change the ignition switch. for that time when I try to start it the key turns evrything work as normal exept the starter is shown to be dead. I have put a jumper where the sterter relay is and the starter tern and start the engine. I have change the starter's relay and it continue to don't start. do I miss something on my test or there is any other fuse it may burned? please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is a metal bar that runs along the column. When you turn the key it pushed that bar which engages a switch to tell the start to do its job.
WHen you changed the ignition cylinder did you line it back up with that bar and ensure the tab from the cylinder is engaging it properly
bharris68, Boojo35 and NHfireLJ like this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM
bharris68
Unsupervised Adult
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Agree with Siva ^^

Was it cranking at all before you replaced the ignition switch? How did you conclude that it was the ignition switch which required replacement?

If you can walk us through the troubleshooting up to the ignition switch replacement, that will be really helpful.
Boojo35 and Siva283 like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does your key turn now after replacing the ignition switch? When you say the switch, do you mean this?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry. It did not attach in the previous post. Did you replace this?
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
lionrenegade
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it is engage normal I have try to run the ignition switch with out the ignition key mechanism (manualy with a small metal stick) it works correct at all the positions.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
lionrenegade
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the ignition switch was burned
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionrenegade View Post
the ignition switch was burned
The new switch was burned?

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #9 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am with Que. Was the new or old switch burned?

Yes or no though. Can you start it now with your metal stick?

post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 12:14 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like he's saying he can start it with a screwdriver but not with the key. The cylinder is probably boogered up.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
lionrenegade
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the old ignition switch was burned. I can start it with a jumper cable at the place of the starter relay from the fuse case that is in the engine bay
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I posted the steps you need to follow on a recent post.

You said that jumping it (30 to 87 the diagram on the side of the relay) started it. Yellow wire comes from the ignition switch to the relay. The neutral safety switch supplies ground. If it turns over jumping 30 to 87 you need to go to 85/86 which controls the relay activation from the yellow ignition start wire. One wire will be grounded all the time if its a manual trans. The other will go hot when the key is in the start position only. I believe 86 is the hot. So put your meter or test light in the 86 pin in the relay socket and see what you get. If you have 12vdc then check the resistance of 85 to battery ground.

If no 12 volts (I might have them backwards so check both) Its time to check 12 volts at the yellow wire under the ignition column and at connector C112 which is the black connector that goes through the middle of the firewall.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Sounds like he's saying he can start it with a screwdriver but not with the key. The cylinder is probably boogered up.
I really thought so also but if it starts now by turning the key with a screwdriver or similar works or not question got totally bypassed. So, we are still chasing electrical when we are not sure of the answer to what may have turned it into an obvious mechanical issue.

To the OP. Does it start now with your metal stick or screwdriver in place of the ignition key mechanism? You made it sound like it does. If it starts with your metal stick or screwdriver or whatever in place of a key. Quit chasing wires.

Tags
ignition switch wire diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in