4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
I had the full RC 4" lift kit - springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer - on my '91 when I bought it 6 months ago. After p*ssing blood for a few months, I sh*tcanned the whole setup and went with custom springs from National Spring in El Cajon, Bilstein 5100's, and an OME steering stabilizer. I might be able to dumpster dive and fish out all that old cr*p for you if you want 'em...
I have considered the custom springs. Nice?

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajeepers View Post
I've been running the RC 4" for 4-5 years now.

Only complaint is the shocks and I've recently purchased replacements. But did run em for that period of time (probably should have been replaced a year or two ago).

Guess I'm one of the lucky 50% (or stupid as some have alluded to). Whichever, I know the springs have held up well enough, but the shocks were a disappoint.

Go with either...

A. Hearsay, everyone says they're bad whether they have first hand experience or not
B. First hand experience.

I'd go with B. and then decided your odds between the good/bad reviews.
People pulling percentages out their *** really isn't a measurement to calibrate by in my 35H20 opinion.

Question for you. Have you ran the other springs like BDS, Zone, OME, RE on this jeep to compare those with the RC springs?

My Jeep build. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
post #18 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Sparrows

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Only complaint is the shocks and I've recently purchased replacements. But did run em for that period of time (probably should have been replaced a year or two ago).

Guess I'm one of the lucky 50% (or stupid as some have alluded to). Whichever, I know the springs have held up well enough, but the shocks were a disappoint.

Go with either...

A. Hearsay, everyone says they're bad whether they have first hand experience or not
B. First hand experience.

I'd go with B. and then decided your odds between the good/bad reviews.
People pulling percentages out their *** really isn't a measurement to calibrate by in my 35H20 opinion.
I have spent an ungodly amount of time is the passenger seat of others jeeps over the past year, and especially in the past 6 months. I can say I have intimate knowledge of just about every brand out there on every kind of jeep they make them for, be it Cj, YJ, Tj, Jk, Jku, Xj, ZJ, MJ, etc. I've been on the road, off the road, spotted them, and installed about two dozen lifts over the last 12 months.

Out of all of the combinations, the biggest, steaming pile I ever had the dissatisfaction of suffering through, was a jeep set up on RC leaf springs. I know and wheel with half a dozen guys that had or have RC and not one of them has a good thing to say.

All of them are changing to quality springs. That means it would have been a better investment to just burn 5 $100.00 bills in the yard cause at least then they wouldn't have wasted much time. Now instead of spending 800-1500 on a quality set up, they'll end up spending 1200-2000 due to the initial cost of a pile of scrap metal.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

June '13 YJOTM

post #19 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Go with zone off-road, hardly more expensive than RC and it rides great IMO. I've never ridden in an ome or RC lift so I couldn't tell ya the difference but from kidney pounding flat stock leafs to these it's amazing. Even with just the zone white shocks.
post #20 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 AM
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I have considered the custom springs. Nice?
Yes, very nice - AFTER I removed the two shortest leafs from each spring. I had the front and rear of my Jeep weighed at a moving company scale before National Spring built my spring set to replace my RC 4" lift - the result was that I was now dealing w/a 4.5" lift and STILL a bit of a "harsh" ride; by harsh I mean that hitting bumps or deviations in the road surface translated into an abrupt "jar". Removing two leafs from each spring put me at 5 leafs in front and 4 in the back, which made "sense" to me given that the front half of my Jeep weighed in heavier. Now, in concert with the Bilstein 5100's, bumps are less jarring, as they seem to be "absorbed" over the (remaining) longer leafs. Also, I went with new OEM rubber bushings rather than poly, and have the shackle bolts installed "loosely", and the axle U-bolts torqued to 85 foot pounds, per other posts here on the Forum. Running Goodyear Wrangler 17" Kevlar tires at 25 pounds - I think it rides about as "smoothly" as a short wheelbase, leaf sprung at all four corners vehicle CAN ride. For the record, National Spring strongly advised AGAINST removing those leafs, suggesting that the long-term durability of the remaining leafs will be compromised. Since I don't off-road (at least INTENTIONALLY!), I felt like it wouldn't be an issue - I guess time will tell. The leaf removal also got me down 1.25", for a 3.5" spring lift, which is more where I wanted to be...
post #21 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Question for you. Have you ran the other springs like BDS, Zone, OME, RE on this jeep to compare those with the RC springs?
I've used OME springs on one of my other Jeeps, just not this wrangler and not a full 4 leaf suspension. Got rear OME leaves on the '00 Cherokee. BDS on the '00 Wrangler. AAL (Can't remember make/model, bought it used) on the '92 Cherokee when I owned it (talk about internal kidney damage).

In any event, this is an aside since my post directly referenced RC springs and those that have never owned them. No where in my post did I say one was better than the other, just that they've worked fine in my application of a on/off road setup 4-5 years, which I found out later, is actually 6+ years.

One item to note is that my main-eyes and shackles are NOT torqued to factory specs. When they were the whole thing road horrible but then so did the flat stock springs and Monroe shocks.

1994 YJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 C3, 2015 Slingshot, 2001 ZX6r
post #22 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
I have spent an ungodly amount of time is the passenger seat of others jeeps over the past year, and especially in the past 6 months. I can say I have intimate knowledge of just about every brand out there on every kind of jeep they make them for, be it Cj, YJ, Tj, Jk, Jku, Xj, ZJ, MJ, etc. I've been on the road, off the road, spotted them, and installed about two dozen lifts over the last 12 months.

Out of all of the combinations, the biggest, steaming pile I ever had the dissatisfaction of suffering through, was a jeep set up on RC leaf springs. I know and wheel with half a dozen guys that had or have RC and not one of them has a good thing to say.

All of them are changing to quality springs. That means it would have been a better investment to just burn 5 $100.00 bills in the yard cause at least then they wouldn't have wasted much time. Now instead of spending 800-1500 on a quality set up, they'll end up spending 1200-2000 due to the initial cost of a pile of scrap metal.

Cheers
Valid point, if you can/will afford the $800-1500 and fully utilize it to get the bang out of that many bucks. And $499 over 6ish years for part-time road, part-time offroad, drive it when/where I wanna is, in all honesty, a drop in the bucket of owning any motorized play thing. Of course, I made a quite a bit less money 6 years ago than I do now (by many thousands/year).

So what would I get now, if mine wasn't already lifted and riding fine? Probably OME honestly but back when I lifted mine, saving for a $1500 setup would have kept me down in weeds for another 6-12 months.

Case in point, the VBP Performance Plus suspension going in the '76 Vette. Now that I can afford it, I'm buying middling best out there I can but I still fully remember the days of wanting to get out and play in my Jeep with the club but not necessarily having the funds to go "all in".

If you wait until you can afford everything you experience nothing IMO.

In any event, as I said, I prefer first hand experience over hear say. That I have with RC springs, in spades, on and off road and offered my opinion on it.

post #23 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
yj94ne
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Same here. Swapped out Bilstiens a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Valid point, if you can/will afford the $800-1500 and fully utilize it to get the bang out of that many bucks. And $499 over 6ish years for part-time road, part-time offroad, drive it when/where I wanna is, in all honesty, a drop in the bucket of owning any motorized play thing. Of course, I made a quite a bit less money 6 years ago than I do now (by many thousands/year).

If you wait until you can afford everything you experience nothing IMO.

In any event, as I said, I prefer first hand experience over hear say. That I have with RC springs, in spades, on and off road and offered my opinion on it.
Well said.
post #24 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We really need a Smilie for "beating a dead horse"

But this will work:

post #25 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
We really need a Smilie for "beating a dead horse"

But this will work:
Much better than the dead horse smiley IMO.

post #26 of 43 Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
ShermanHoax
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'm holding off buying RC's. I'll take into consideration what you guys have told me and look at other options. Not sure what my new budget will be just yet.

95 YJ 2.5 - 31" Mostly Stock at the moment.

My Jeep Build
post #27 of 43 Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor. Take the money you were going to spend on the kit. Go buy 4 OME springs and the bushing kit. Your shocks will be a couple inches too short so take it easy off road as the shocks will limit your travel.
Then, when you get a few hundred more contact Kolac. He is a supporting vendor here. He will give you a good price on a set of Bilstein shocks. Now things are getting better...
Then, when you get @ $150 more, install a quality 1" body lift. We're getting there...
Then, when you have another $125 -$150 look for some 1/2" to 3/4" boomerang shackles.
(You can reverse the above if you want.)

You now have a quite capable trail rig with a very good, comfortable and durable suspension.

When you have done this and see how great it looks and rides, don't thank me. This is not my formula. I learned this from other members who advised me.

There are some smart people on this forum. It would be wise for you to take advantage of their knowledge like I have.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #28 of 43 Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Sundodger

1992 YJ Wrangler 

LOL...I'm sure your friend just loves his wife ending up in your Jeep on a regular basis;-) Sorry...I couldn't resist.

As to the original post, please don't buy the RC crap. I did and bent all four springs within 2 months. The rear sagged immediately. Just put the 4.5" RE XD springs on and the ride is night and day.
post #29 of 43 Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM
ckjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i personally have run the rough country kit on my 88 with no sagging springs BUT it is a very rough and bouncy ride. not sure i would buy another one
post #30 of 43 Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
yj94ne
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjeep View Post
i personally have run the rough country kit on my 88 with no sagging springs BUT it is a very rough and bouncy ride. not sure i would buy another one

Change the shocks, you'll be surprised

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in