Rough Country 4" Lift For YJ (I know, I know...) - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
ShermanHoax
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rough Country 4" Lift For YJ (I know, I know...)

I know this has been covered a dozen times on this forum, but a lot of the information is from 5 years ago.
It seems like lately there have been a lot more positive reviews on here and Amazon about this lift kit so I'm curious to hear if maybe RC has beefed up the quality of this kit?

If you bought one in the past, how has it held up? Obviously the price is good, but I'm willing to hold out for a better kit if Im going to wind up swapping this out in a year. Otherwise the money saved will just towards another reckless (but necessary, of course!) purchase for this jeep.

95 YJ 2.5 - 31" Mostly Stock at the moment.

My Jeep Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are twice as many dissatisfied threads swapping to better springs than members that seem to be ok with them. I'm not saying that they're all bad but 33% chance that you'll end up with one you don't hate is not a gamble I would take.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
There are twice as many dissatisfied threads swapping to better springs than members that seem to be ok with them. I'm not saying that they're all bad but 33% chance that you'll end up with one you don't hate is not a gamble I would take.
Keep talking like this and RC won't bless you with a free lift to put on your Jeep.

post #4 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 04:54 PM
crazyrockets
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Keep talking like this and RC won't bless you with a free lift to put on your Jeep.
Or maybe they would just to have him reconsider after he's actually used them... I'm in the market for a lift kit and have pretty much completely discounted Rough Country after the reviews I've seen, but if they gave me the kit for free I would happily put it on and try it out; a few lost hours of my time isn't too valuable if it doesn't work and the potential reward is pretty good
post #5 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have actually used them, it was not a good experience. You know the saying "fool me once......"
post #6 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why make yet another daily thread about cheap springs.

Go buy em if you want em.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #7 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM
DustyGeneral
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Switched from RC to BDS. Never looked back.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have said this plenty of times I beat the [email protected]#s out of my RC lift kit for almost 3 years then had to replace it.

I use my jeep for rockcrawling, not a daily driver, barely a street driver so i would guess that for the average person on the street the kit would be ok.

The pros are it is complete, if you buy the kit you have basically all that you need.

I have replaced the RC springs with Rubicon Express springs, which I will say are a better ride.

For all the RC haters out there a friend of mine bought the BDS 6" springs and had to replace them after 3 years as well, of course with BDS warranty they were free, I figured I had killled the RC springs myself so did not expect or ask for warranty replacement.

Again we are not mall crawlers, we take our rigs to hard trails with lots of rocks and they get back on trailers. So make your own judgement.

www.RCPFA.com
post #9 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Tom95YJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The new 4.5" RC kit with military wrap springs I have is keeping me happy it rides and flexes well both on road and offroad. It has settled from 6" to 4.5". Granted I've had it for a few months but. I am still happy with my purchase. I've run Rustys , RE, and Alcan springs on my 95 and these ride just as nice as the re and flex just as well the others on here with the 4.5" rc lifts will also give the same review . The springs are a 3.5" lift spring with a 1" boomerang shackle to get the 4.5" lift. Gage56 switched from the standard 4" rc lift to the new springs in the 4.5" kit and said they ride better then the 4" spring and flex better also iirc

'89 YJ The Smurf Yjoty 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 XJ Black Betty
post #10 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM
panaceabeachbum

1989 YJ Wrangler 

no need to beat a dead horse, you get what you pay for

post #11 of 43 Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Sparrows

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanHoax View Post
I know this has been covered a dozen times on this forum, but a lot of the information is from 5 years ago.
It seems like lately there have been a lot more positive reviews on here and Amazon about this lift kit so I'm curious to hear if maybe RC has beefed up the quality of this kit?

If you bought one in the past, how has it held up? Obviously the price is good, but I'm willing to hold out for a better kit if Im going to wind up swapping this out in a year. Otherwise the money saved will just towards another reckless (but necessary, of course!) purchase for this jeep.
Seems like you're looking for validation to go the cheap route. You KNOW their rep, yet you come looking for someone to tell you it'll be fine. You know what's up, and even if everyone here said go for it, and you bought them, then what? You still ended up with springs that are a 50/50 crap shoot. Why do that to yourself? Because a handful of people are either happy with junk, don't know better, or fooled themselves into believing they didn't just burn a handful of hundred dollar bills?

C'mon dude...

Cheers

June '13 YJOTM
post #12 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
JohnnyZJ

2007 JK Wrangler 

i just did the zone 4" kit. i think its a much better option than rc for a cheap solution. springs look identical to BDS ones i used to run. (same company/ideas? i don' tknow)
anyway put lift on its sitting at about 6"hope it sags to 4" which is better than the RC which will start at 4 and sag to 2.

07' JKUR rollin on 35s
post #13 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running the RC 4" for 4-5 years now.

Only complaint is the shocks and I've recently purchased replacements. But did run em for that period of time (probably should have been replaced a year or two ago).

Guess I'm one of the lucky 50% (or stupid as some have alluded to). Whichever, I know the springs have held up well enough, but the shocks were a disappoint.

Go with either...

A. Hearsay, everyone says they're bad whether they have first hand experience or not
B. First hand experience.

I'd go with B. and then decided your odds between the good/bad reviews.
People pulling percentages out their *** really isn't a measurement to calibrate by in my 35H20 opinion.

1994 YJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 C3, 2015 Slingshot, 2001 ZX6r
post #14 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My friend has "the kit"

I have OME

I get in his Jeep from time to time.

If you ask me to describe the ride. One word. Dreadful. On the road, off the road. bad. Even his wife often ends up in my Jeep. They do have road feel though! Lot's of it.

But I'm not telling you not to buy them. It doesn't bother me what you buy.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #15 of 43 Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 PM
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the full RC 4" lift kit - springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer - on my '91 when I bought it 6 months ago. After p*ssing blood for a few months, I sh*tcanned the whole setup and went with custom springs from National Spring in El Cajon, Bilstein 5100's, and an OME steering stabilizer. I might be able to dumpster dive and fish out all that old cr*p for you if you want 'em...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in