Retro fit 2.5 aluminum valve cover - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Retro fit 2.5 aluminum valve cover

This has been discussed many times but I never found a discussion with someone who has actually completely it. Iíve found many differences between the two.

The earlier plastic cover has two openings (in addition to oil fill). Forward opening for the pcv valve running to the manifold. The rear opening containing a crankcase filter running from the air box. Everyone knows the problems with these, warped plastic, canít get a good seal and now I canít find grommets that actually fit.

The aluminum has one opening on the rear and a small threaded opening on the front, driver side. The front side opening is a fitting with a hose running directly to manifold with no pcv valve. The rear opening is a quarter turn elbow fitting with a hose running to airbox with no filter.

In order to do this I need an airbox with the hose connection above the air filter as opposed to below it. Thatís no problem. eBay has tons of them.

Iíve been looking for the quarter turn elbow for the rear opening. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-10021028.html

A really crude picture. It fits the old 2.5L Iron duke engine. Not sure if it is what you are looking for. It is a plastic barbed 90 degree elbow.

I will state. We replace these on mail trucks on a daily basis. They are almost impossible to get out and just as impossible to get back in. The fit super tight and are a bear to get in place so if you ordered one, do not be convinced that it is not the correct part until you sweated more than a prostitute in church and then some trying to put it in.

I will try to remember to measure one if you need the next time I have one out. I sure as hell am not taking one out for no reason.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you. Apparently no one at Qtec 4wd, extreme or any other company knew. Heck, half of them didnít even no the difference between valve covers. I called Crown directly. Explained my issue and knew exactly what I was talking about. Got one on order. I will report back.

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to update this.

I ordered a crankcase venr elbow from Qtec. Crown automotive part #53030591. This goes on the back opening of the aluminum valve cover.
Now I need a different air box. That way I can run a hose from this elbow to the airbox.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
I wanted to update this.

I ordered a crankcase venr elbow from Qtec. Crown automotive part #53030591. This goes on the back opening of the aluminum valve cover.
Now I need a different air box. That way I can run a hose from this elbow to the airbox.

Cool. I thought about it later and this may help a lot of people in different situations. Most old school PCV valves are a pretty standard diameter IIRC. The elbow fits the same grommet as a PCV valve.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2020, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This elbow for the aluminum cover doesnít go into a grommet. Itís a quarter turn fitting with a flat rubber washer.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Thank you. Apparently no one at Qtec 4wd, extreme or any other company knew. Heck, half of them didn’t even know the difference between valve covers.I called Crown
This is my frustration with our available suppliers - often nobody knows the products, jeeps, or the variants.

That was what I liked about CSE Offroad- you called and if it were old CJ, new CJ, YJ, XJ they knew immediately what you were talking about and had the part numbers. Unfortunately I don’t think they exist now because the owner had health issues and sold out.

I got jaded a few years back when I called and neither 4-wheel-parts, Morris nor Qtec could tell me if their stainless brake line kit had stainless fittings or not.

I’m glad your able to be successfully fixing it your way.

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in