Resurrecting an '89 YJ 4.2 - back from the dead! - JeepForum.com
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
cptmoney

Resurrecting an '89 YJ 4.2 - back from the dead!

So.....long story short, I've ended up with an '89 YJ. The poor thing has been neglected for FAR too long; as long as 15-18 years. There's a little confusion on behalf of the seller....but either way, it's been a very long time since this machine was in service.

I've paid WAY too much for it, I realize. It's going to be quite the undertaking - that I'm not sure I'm up for. It was time to help the seller, and I knew that I'd likely have a good time tinkering - so I drug the ol' gal home.

Anyhow - I tried to bring her around gently. Pulled the plugs and poured some Marvel Mystery Oil and fogging oil into each jug. Let it set, then spun her around gently to make sure things were in motion before going too far. So far so good.

Next, I turned her over a few times with the coil wire unhooked, just to build some oil pressure. Green light.

Finally, I poured just a teaspoon of fuel down the carb to see if she'd fire - and sure enough, she kicked off.

Almost instantly the entire carb was covered in fuel, so there are major leaks somewhere (or everywhere!). I noticed a cracked fuel line and swapped it out, but really haven't delved into it much further than that.

SO: a few questions for you all -

Everything looks factory original. OEM stuff. You'll see the carb in my pics. Most of the vacuum lines are trashed and broken - and there seem to be a BUNCH of vacuum lines running around the engine bay of this thing. Question number one: Is this a carb that can easily be rebuilt? Or should I just order a brand new carb? I don't see this Jeep living with me forever (but my crystal ball is broken!), so I'd rather not spend a bucketload of cash on a fuel injection swap. If I can get her running and reliable with a carb, then I'd rather do that for the time being (all other things being equal). And if I do swap out the carb, which carb do you recommend? Factory OEM stuff? Weber? Which one is reliable and affordable?

Question number two: we have no emission testing here locally. Can I kill some/most/all of the extra vacuum lines? They're everywhere! And they all looked cracked and broken! Hahaa! Can I ditch any of this? It's a rubber spaghetti mess under there. Are ALL of those vacuum lines required to make her behave mechanically?

Question number three: being that she's been in hibernation for nearly 2 decades (give or take), where else would you start looking to make sure things are safe? Obviously brakes, but what about all the fuel lines, any other soft lines/bushings/etc? Anything super obvious that I need to check?

I'm already in WAY too deep on this one - which if fine, because it was for a good cause - but if I can get her up and running in a reliable manner, then I'll prob spin it down the road. Maybe a high school kid could make a killer knockaround rig out of the ol' gal. Or maybe she'll stay here - who knows. I just want to see if we can bring her around and put her back on the road.....

Pics coming up.....hang on one sec!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
cptmoney

Here's a few pics of what she looked like on her ride home....
post #3 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
cptmoney

And the engine bay/carb issues....

post #4 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
cptmoney

I'm closely watching Snowbound's thread in this section as well, because it sounds like we're chasing some of the same gremlins.

What do you know about this carb? Factory carb setup, you think? I don't think much of it has been monkeyed with, which could be a good thing when starting this late in the game. Can you see how wet the carb is? Fuel was coming out from everywhere, I believe.

What about distributor? This one looks old school; do I need the HEI upgrade to make her run well?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.....looking forward to seeing this gal get back on the road.
post #5 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 PM
elchunkogrande
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like it has few miles on it, no body damage. Should make a great project. Mine is a 1990 that someone tried to put a TBI on and ended up with it sitting for who knows how long. I think the GM TBI is the way to go though. You can pull junk yard parts cheaper than the price of a carb. If you leave the distributor alone and only do fuel it's much easier but it won't pass emissions but where you are it doesn't matter.
post #6 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
cptmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchunkogrande View Post
Looks like it has few miles on it, no body damage. Should make a great project. Mine is a 1990 that someone tried to put a TBI on and ended up with it sitting for who knows how long. I think the GM TBI is the way to go though. You can pull junk yard parts cheaper than the price of a carb. If you leave the distributor alone and only do fuel it's much easier but it won't pass emissions but where you are it doesn't matter.
I totally forgot to mention that....

She's showing right around 112k miles. 6 cyl, 5 speed. Decent shape, really. Just dirty dirty dirty. Neglected thing.

What do I need for the GM swap? S10 throttle body? From the V6? I'm interested....
post #7 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Tophog1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't plan on rebuilding the Carter BBD carb, many avenues are opened. You can run a non-BBD Carter, a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150, or in my case, a Rochester 2 barrel.

Then look up 'nutter bypass' and see the pile of electrical and vacuum crap you can eliminate from under the hood. You'll be amazed!

Happy Jeeping!

USN vet, 1976-80
Moderator, Nevada Shooters
1993 YJ
1990 YJ
post #8 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Tophog1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will end up with something like this pile (not counting the air cleaner and tail lights)!

Happy Jeeping!
Attached Images

USN vet, 1976-80
1993 YJ
1990 YJ
post #9 of 213 Old 10-01-2018, 11:21 PM
jswift1716

Looks like my 89 I got 2 weeks ago but factory lol I bought mine already "nuttered" and with a weber carb and hei distributor. Now that I've cleaned the filter, regapped the plugs right and tuned the carb a little mines right as rain with 212k miles. I'll grab you some pics in the morning and show you how empty my engine bay is and it's a daily. Just ignore the leaky valve cover a new gasket is going on saturday

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Edit I found a photo I posted in another thread
post #10 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 03:48 AM
CESWAMPY
1987 YJ Wrangler 

To start with I would throw a hei in her and order a rebuilt weber without the stepper motor from rockauto.
post #11 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
cptmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog1 View Post
You will end up with something like this pile (not counting the air cleaner and tail lights)!

Happy Jeeping!
HOLY SMOKES!

Is there that much fluff under the hood? Shazaam!
post #12 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
cptmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESWAMPY View Post
To start with I would throw a hei in her and order a rebuilt weber without the stepper motor from rockauto.
Is that Weber carb seriously a near-$500 upgrade? That's crazy. But worth it, you say?

How much is the GM EFI swap? I imagine it might be cheaper from a junkyard....but the hassle factor might be much higher. Hmmmmmmm. Just weighing options. If the Weber really is a silver bullet fix, then I can justify it so that I don't have to putz with all the other bits and pieces that she'll be needing.

I don't see the HEI distributor at Rock Auto; any other good sources? Am I just missing it?

Thanks to all for the input! I think she's going to make it!

I did give the Jeep just a quick pressure wash; here's where she stands right now:
Tophog1 and zrickety like this.
post #13 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Chrisnvegas
Knowitall Wannabe!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

On a Jeep, I wouldn't do a weber. Gremlin maybe. Jeep, no.
A pain to tune and that proprietary little square air cleaner, never...

Motorcraft 2100, 2150, Non-stepper BBD, Holley Sniper fuel injection, Howell Fuel injection.

Those are all good choices that will allow proper air filtration and good performance.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #14 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Tophog1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmoney View Post

I did give the Jeep just a quick pressure wash; here's where she stands right now:
Nice transformation!

USN vet, 1976-80
1993 YJ
1990 YJ
post #15 of 213 Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM
CESWAMPY
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My bad about the weber. I did the rebuilt carter!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in