Replacing and removing the hard top - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Ctskip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing and removing the hard top

This Wrangler is my first and I just took off the hard top it came with. Wow. It's heavier than I thought. It went down the back side, over the spare and it sits on its back window. All is well. I place padding down first. Now I want to put it back on. I was thinking about a 3/4 inch by 6 in board bolted across the back side and sliding the top up and over the board then centering the top, remove the board, and voila, its on the jeep. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way, short of hanging it from the ceiling? I'm a one man show here and I'm on my own.
Thanks, Ctskip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
ggjeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, I can't help you out with a better way of doing it alone. I usually round up a few neighbors for that job. I will say be very careful not to break any of the glass. It is a PITA to get replacements.

1996 XJ Sport 4.0/AW4
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 AM
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow i bet it's not a funny thing to do alone... i am not a whimp and still never go at it without the help of a friend. And we almost dropped it once... man was i scared!!! I do this twice a year, put it on and take it off, but still i think that sucks, i hate when the time comes to do it...

post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

I used to do my 91 yj by myself. just fold up the seat, hop up in the back, put my sholders against the top and lift it just enough to slide it back over the windsheild. then get out onto the ground and go to the back, balance the whole thing on my shoulders and walk it to here I wanted it. sit it down and crawl out. Back then I was just out of the Army 5'10" 160lbs.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Exparrot

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to do it myself, too. Now, I use my neighbor or his kid, and it only costs me a beer a piece.

I got a Jeep, it's lifted and it's got crap bolted to it.
Color by Rattle-Can.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
post #6 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
vmann7

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have to do it yourself take a look at the link below. If you have the room this is the best way. If you're handy you may be able to make something similar yourself. I've always had a friend help, I wouldn't want to do it myself its heavy and awkward.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_01_07.htm
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, grab a friend. Best way to do it safely. A beer doesent cost much.

Just be sure they understand EXACTLY how you are going to do this or you will end up with scratched sides when they decide to let go and slide the top instead of handling it until it is properly in place. The sides can buckle out if you try to slide it and then you have paint issues. I still hold this against a workmate of mine, even after I explained in detail how we were going to put the top on and didn't heed my instructions.

'05 Khaki Rubicon Recce Edition
'46 CJ2A farm Jeep
'93 M101CDN military trailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canadian Jeep Club Mbr #65
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are!
post #8 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Burnerman

1996 ZJ 

JF Hardtop storage. Here's a link from the CJ forum. The one guy has a pretty cool one man setup for removing and then moving a hardtop. I use my son and lift and carry.

96 ZJ.
05' Grand Cherokee Limited, 2"OME lift
post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Ctskip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I guess that answers my question. Thanks guys. Now to find a tree? hmmmm. Damn, I forgot, this is Texas, there are no trees here. None that count anyway. Just kiddin . Thanks for the hook ups, Ctskip
post #10 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
YJames90

1993 YJ Wrangler 

when I had my hard top I hung tie down straps in the garage. hooked the botton edges and pulled in the straps to lift the top.
Drive out and your done
Its best to lower the top to the floor so it dosent fall and get damaged
This is a one person operation
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I hope you have a garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Spring Over is not for you.... yet

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
gokusgrill

i take mine off and on myself. ill have my doors off just so that it slides on and off easier and i also have my back seat out. but the part that makes it much easier is that i just have a net for a tailgate. just unscrew the 8 screws in there and i can climb right into the back and walk it off with my shoulders, walk backwards then kneel down and crawl out. it is still a very strenuous thing to do and i don't enjoy it.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

I made a frame from EMT that holds the top with hook at the center of the rear section of the HT and at the two spots where the corner of the doors would be. With a small block and tackle from HF I remove it/install it using hand operated boat winch. All you need is a high spot to hang the block and tackle. I hang mine from a pipe placed between two frame rails of my carport. In fact that's where I store it in the Summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in