Replacing Fuel Sending Unit. What else? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Fuel Sending Unit. What else?

I'm replacing the fuel sending unit on my '92 YJ 4.0. I'm 90% sure it has the 20 gallon tank, but I haven't owned it very long, so I'm not certain. I thought I ran out of gas yesterday, but gas didn't help, so I'll be dropping the tank. I was figuring to remove the filler & vent hoses while I have it down. Anything else I recommended while I have the tank dropped? I'd like to order everything from Quadratrec at once to take advantage of the free shipping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 04:02 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
filler and vent hoses
pump/sender
check and/or replace the hoses between the tank and the vent, return and fuel
filter

have you checked for power to the pump before doing all this/

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have not. Any chance you have a link to a thread handy? If not I can search around.

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Before ordering, make sure it's not an export model. If it is, none of those parts will work.
There is a decal (or not) when you drop the windshield by the wiper motor. It will say "For export"

Export models (like mine) have a different tank, skid, pump and sender. The parts are long gone.
I came with a big beefy pump to handle poor quality fuel in other countries. Anything happens to an export pump or sender and it will need a new tank, skid plate, pump and sender because the shape of the tank is different.

Chances are it's a domestic model but you never know till you look.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
first check all the fuses

I don't have a wiring diagram for that year but should not be hard to find. you should be able to unplug the harness from the tank without too much trouble. the pump should prime for a couple seconds when the key turns on then stops, unless the engine starts. during that time you can hear it. if there is no sound then check for voltage at the wire

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did check all fuses and the relay. They are all fine, but I don’t hear it prime. I’ll need to get the tool to check the voltage.

Thinking back, over the past few weeks I had some difficulty starting it, but I always seemed to be on an incline and I just assumed I was a little bit low and maybe the angle of the tank was telling me I need to fill up. It’s where I was going when it died, actually. When I was waiting for the tow truck, I tried to use some starting fluid to get it going and maybe get it out of the way. It started, but then died almost immediately. Pressing the gas pedal and manually moving the throttle didn’t do anything. And checking the stem on the fuel bar, I have no pressure. I used to be really handy with my old Jeep, but it’s been 17 years and I’ve forgotten quite a bit since I last worked on one.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
in all likelihood the internal pump is bad but I refuse to throw parts at something until I know for sure. you just need a volt meter or test light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in