Replacement top question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Sting Ray

Replacement top question

I have a '89 Wrangler, with both hard doors and 1/2 doors, my soft top frame is besttop. Can anyone tell me what other replacement skins besides the $499 one will fit my hardware. Why wont like the quadratop replacement skin work? What is so different than the factory hardware? My last Wrangler had the factory top hardware and it attached the same except for the tailgate.

I did a search and tried to find the info I need, but if anyone can link to earlier posts it would be appreciated.

Tom M

89 Wrangler Laredo Gone
89 YJ bought in '14
89 YJ bough in '16 Long term project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ray View Post
I have a '89 Wrangler, with both hard doors and 1/2 doors, my soft top frame is besttop. Can anyone tell me what other replacement skins besides the $499 one will fit my hardware. Why wont like the quadratop replacement skin work? What is so different than the factory hardware? My last Wrangler had the factory top hardware and it attached the same except for the tailgate.

I did a search and tried to find the info I need, but if anyone can link to earlier posts it would be appreciated.

Tom M

I looked around for a factory soft top. The aftermarket stuff I looked at wasn't great quality and the windows would split if they were bent at all. It took me a while but eventually I found a really nice full setup.

There are two different kinds of hardware that you can get. The original factory, in my understanding, is this design:

http://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged...7D&XTID=J14114

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 PM
yjmike82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Tom M
My Yj now has the rugged ridge replacement cloth and that seems "OK" I've had it for 4 years and while it's not abused it seems to have held up well.

My old YJ had a super top, and I can tell you right now the hardware is way different and so are the door uppers. It is however better made and more useful than the factory set up, through twice the price.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Sting Ray

Thanks for the replys
Does anyone know if the Rugged Ridge, or any of the other skins will fit the Bestop Supertop frames?

89 Wrangler Laredo Gone
89 YJ bought in '14
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 02:42 PM
yjmike82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the replys
Does anyone know if the Rugged Ridge, or any of the other skins will fit the Bestop Supertop frames?
No only the supertop replacement top will fit the supertop frame. In short if you have a framed soft top it's either factory (square window corners) or super top (rounded window corners.) There are a couple replacement tips for factory frames (most fairly cheap.) But only the supertop for that frame (less cheap.)

Having used both (though 15 years apart) I'd say the supertop is better but moderately. If you have a 92-95 or installed a family roll bar you can also get a frameless top. The ones from the soft topper are great. I have a friend with one on a TJ and it's very quiet for a soft top.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 02:47 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmike82 View Post
In short if you have a framed soft top it's either factory (square window corners) or super top (rounded window corners.)
Not right Mike. In the 1993 OEM days, you could buy a 'both tops' Jeep option. It came with a hard top, hard doors, and a soft top that went with the hard doors. That OEM soft top had the same main frame structure, but with provision to handle the round corner hard doors. I bought my Jeep used in 1996 from the original owner with both OEM tops for hard doors.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 PM
yjmike82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmike82 View Post
In short if you have a framed soft top it's either factory (square window corners) or super top (rounded window corners.)
Not right Mike. In the 1993 OEM days, you could buy a 'both tops' Jeep option. It came with a hard top, hard doors, and a soft top that went with the hard doors. That OEM soft top had the same main frame structure, but with provision to handle the round corner hard doors. I bought my Jeep used in 1996 from the original owner with both OEM tops for hard doors.
I've been around alot.of YJs and that's the first I've heard of that. I don't necessarily doubt it Chrysler was all over the place in the 90's but best tops own video explained they created the supertop for people who bought a Yj with a hard top (rounded hard doors) and also wanted a soft top without buying new doors.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM
owtcast
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same mindset that Mike is. I don't recall a top that used the same bows and hardware that the OEM Bestop unit used and had round door corners that wasn't a Supertop. I guess anything is possible. I also ordered my Sahara with every option sans an automatic and don't recall a dual top option from the factory. I wonder if it was a dealer specific item? It does sound like you're pretty much stuck with a Supertop replacement if you want it to fit both soft and hard tops. By the way, I can't speak for the other brand of bowless top quality but I've had two Rampage bowless tops. Love the design, the material quality is sub par. Expect a year to a year and a half of life out of it if you live where the sun is.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Sting Ray

Thanks for all the replys, really good stuff here

89 Wrangler Laredo Gone
89 YJ bought in '14

Tags
bestop supertop , replacement , soft top frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in