• 1 Post By NHfireLJ
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Reducing radiant heat into the body

One mod I'd really like to tackle in the near future is reducing the amount of heat that gets into the tub. It's nothing unbearable but even on a nice 75 degree day, the body can get hot enough that you wouldn't want to be barefoot in the Jeep. This has been something I've been ignoring for some time but the problem got highlighted last trip when I took my dog wheeling and had a cooler in the passenger foot well. I had pads for the dog so she would be comfortable but to create space for her, I put my cooler up front. Rather than my cooler keeping things cool all day, it was lukewarm by lunch due to all the heat.

My Jeep does have Raptor liner on the entire inside of the tub without any insulation. The engine is a 5.3 LS with the 4L60E automatic and it's tucked up as high as it'll go to gain underbody clearance. Obviously both of those are working against me and neither are something I'm going to change. So I'm thinking my only real options are to run some kind of exhaust wrap to help reduce heat in the engine bay and down the length of the exhaust and/or run some kind of thermal barrier on the underside of the Jeep.

I feel like the thermal barrier would be the most beneficial but also very likely the hardest to install since it likely wouldn't stick to the underbody coating without some help. The exhaust wrap seems to get a bad rep for corroding exhaust components due to moisture retention but this seems like internet talk over actual real world data considering how hot the exhaust is.

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have thick OEM carpet that blocks the heat. I never feel any heat thru the floor.
Without carpet, the Jeep will need to be dismantled, degreased and the firewall and underside covered with heat insulation.
My car is like that from the factory. The underside and firewall is covered in some kind of dark colored 1/2" thick insulation with cutouts for the master cylinder and other firewall mounted things. It's bonded on somehow really well. My F350 is well insulated too.

There's one other option. This new exhaust coating that blocks heat. Zycoat.
It's a paint that they claim blocks radiant heat 90%

https://www.zycoat.com/
NHfireLJ likes this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 11:08 AM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I coated the entire underside and firewall of my tub with Lizard Skin ceramic coating. Also wrapped almost my entire exhaust except the header, cat, and muffler.

NHfireLJ likes this.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

never worked on a V8 conversion but on our i6, we wrapped the exhaust from the header to the cat, then also from the cat to the muffler. I also fabbed up a heat shield between the tub and the cat. Just above the cat which sits right under the passenger floorboard with our TJ exhaust routing. It helped tremendously. We have our tub Monstalined. no carpet.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lots of awesome suggestions here. Exhaust wraps work well no doubt. Depending on where you live and exposure to salt and stuff they can eat an exhaust alive in the blink of an eye. Temperature speeds up oxidation.

Heat shields that provide an air barrier work well to not transfer heat to the next level. Think of catalytic converter heat shields that barely have any clearance between the cat and the shield make a cat much cooler on heat transfer. Even the YJ had a shield or two that was fastened to the floor board on the underside that kept exhaust heat out of the vehicle.

Quality carpet and the Jute backing under it reduce temps a lot. Jeeps leak water. You have to have a never gets wet inside though or it will mildew and get musty.

The firewall can definitely transfer heat as can the trans tunnel. Some of the foil stick on products (dynomat IIRC is one of them), lizard skins, etc. can be used creatively.

The heat comes from a lot of places.

How and where the Jeep is used can change the plan of what is best.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

See if you can get ahold of one of those thermal temp sensors where you can point it at a surface and get a temp read out. Then next time you get the jeep all hot and bothered you can get the scan gun out and see where your highest temps are and where it's not so hot. Sort of map out where the worst of it is. Maybe that will give you an idea of what to address first. I put some thermal wrap on the top of my muffler and Cat but left the bottom of them open to ambient air. Seems to have helped some but the summer here in the PNW hasn't really started yet.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do have an infrared thermometer. Maybe I need to drive the Jeep to lunch today or something and take some readings when I get home. I have a metal shield around the catalytic converter but I kind of suspect the fan blowing the heat from the headers is the primary source with the exhaust pipe and muffler on the passenger side being secondary for the passenger side.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 06:38 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
I coated the entire underside and firewall of my tub with Lizard Skin ceramic coating. Also wrapped almost my entire exhaust except the header, cat, and muffler.

WOW, thats one clean simple exhaust
92 Green YJ likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #9 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 11:03 AM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
WOW, thats one clean simple exhaust
Thanks. And I used flanges to make it in multiple sections so if I have to it’s easy to remove and replace individual components.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #10 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 11:54 AM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Insulation is good if you can use it. Potential flammability can be an issue but synthetic materials can work wonders. If you use mats or carpet put a good synthetic liner between the carpet and the floor and you will notice the change in temp.

Ceramic coatings are incredible for reducing heat transfer. They require a clean and rust-free surface to bond to. I have real world experience with ceramic heat barriers on exhaust systems and other parts. What I've seen is that heat wraps can cause exhaust to rust quickly in damp or salty areas while ceramic coating does not. I've used the same set set of ceramic coated headers on two Suburbans over the past 5 years and they're still in great shape. I would recommend speaking with a vendor of any coating you're looking at to ensure heat reduction will be worthwhile given the work to apply it.

My vote is for heat shields. Buy some floor replacement panels and attach them to the body using a few 1" spacers. The difference will be noticeable.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
My vote is for heat shields. Buy some floor replacement panels and attach them to the body using a few 1" spacers. The difference will be noriceable.
Or just some plain sheet steel or aluminum and make them real cheap if you have a good metal supplier in the area.

With that being said, heat shields can resonate and vibrate and make funky noises if they don't have beads or bends in them to make them more solid. So, the moral of the story is the wife has to understand why you need this new bead roller and that the tool and cost of steel offsets the cost of buying floor panels and will continue to pay for itself on future projects on the cheap. JS.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did a little experimenting today and it's worse than I thought. I drove around for about 10-15 minutes with some 60mph and the bulk of the driving below 45mph. Got back to the garage and let it just sit for about 5 minutes idling.

Temperature of the hood, front fenders, and firewall was about 130 degrees. Temperature of the driver footwell was 110. Temperature behind the front seats was 105. Temperature of the trans tunnel was 160. The passenger footwell that's just over the catalytic converter was a whopping 180 degrees!!

So definitely need some shielding over the cat and trans tunnel. Hitting the firewall probably wouldn't hurt either. I bought some perforated stainless sheet a while back to make vents in the fenders so I may investigate how much or little that would help.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-03-2020, 06:16 AM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Did a little experimenting today and it's worse than I thought. I drove around for about 10-15 minutes with some 60mph and the bulk of the driving below 45mph. Got back to the garage and let it just sit for about 5 minutes idling.

Temperature of the hood, front fenders, and firewall was about 130 degrees. Temperature of the driver footwell was 110. Temperature behind the front seats was 105. Temperature of the trans tunnel was 160. The passenger footwell that's just over the catalytic converter was a whopping 180 degrees!!

So definitely need some shielding over the cat and trans tunnel. Hitting the firewall probably wouldn't hurt either. I bought some perforated stainless sheet a while back to make vents in the fenders so I may investigate how much or little that would help.
Geeze! Now you have me wondering what mine is!!! I just monstalined the tub and have rubber floor mats in there. At 180*, I wonder if the rubber could get a little squishy and soft!!!

I will say that riding in it isn't unbearable, but it does get a bit toasty. I attributed it to the sun beating down on us, but I'm sure the exhaust plays a role in it as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do other than add carpet. I do live in Illinois and they do like to salt the roads. The exhaust wrap is an interesting idea, but it sounds like it would be a bad one if I want to keep the exhaust. I had the tub off and kind of kicking myself that I didn't put lizardskin on the bottom part of it. I was thinking about doing it, but didn't. It sounds like the only thing I could do is a heat shield or carpet.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #14 of 15 Old 07-05-2020, 07:35 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post
Geeze! Now you have me wondering what mine is!!! I just monstalined the tub and have rubber floor mats in there. At 180*, I wonder if the rubber could get a little squishy and soft!!!

I will say that riding in it isn't unbearable, but it does get a bit toasty. I attributed it to the sun beating down on us, but I'm sure the exhaust plays a role in it as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do other than add carpet. I do live in Illinois and they do like to salt the roads. The exhaust wrap is an interesting idea, but it sounds like it would be a bad one if I want to keep the exhaust. I had the tub off and kind of kicking myself that I didn't put lizardskin on the bottom part of it. I was thinking about doing it, but didn't. It sounds like the only thing I could do is a heat shield or carpet.
your situation and context seems vastly different than @Waternut so i will offer this advice catered to your situation ...noico has some good products on the cheap off amazon.

thick or thin, they have some products you can lay down, then put carpet over it. Absorbs and blocks the heat better stopping it from radiating through.
mikewiz38 likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #15 of 15 Old Today, 12:16 PM
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As far as floor coverings go, there is sound deadening and there is heat reflecting. The best heat reflecting stuff isn't the cheapest.

I've installed this in a Triumph GT6 under the gearbox cover. It came highly recommended.
https://www.designengineering.com/pr...ds-reflectors/
" Floor & Tunnel Shield II withstands up to 1750°F. The adhesive side holds past 450°F. "

It comes in sheets or rolls. I think I used this specific one.https://www.designengineering.com/fl...ld-ii-42-x-48/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in