1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisnvegas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
rear shock ?

just put a 2.5" ome lift on my 94 yj i used skyjacker 7000 shocks .i was looking everything over this morning and noticed that the rear shocks are touching the axel tube down near the mount do i need to get relocator brackets that move the bottom mount hole forward like the https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubicon-Exp...item4b78a6472f .one guy suggested that i turn them upside down. i checked on skyjackers website and they state not to run the shocks upside down

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had an old set of cheap white body shocks that did that.

You will get a slight amount of rotation in the axle (axle wrap) on take off and heavy throttle. That pulls the lower mounts down and forward, pulling the shock body into the axle tube.

A cut and reweld is about the best answer. Or replace them with a smaller body shock like Bilstein or Fox, but that is a more expensive option.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 PM
alexs93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I used the RE relocation brackets after my 3.5" BDS lift and MORE boom shackles and they work like a charm. I didn't feel like cutting and relocating the bracket. I called BDS and the rep told me inverting the shocks is ok on some, but not all and did not recommend.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 02:51 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's weird.
I have OME springs and Skyjacker shocks... on two different YJ's and neither are hitting the axle.
I wonder if something is bent?

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 AM
alexs93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's probably to do with pinion angle, shims, etc. Mine were only hitting when at full droop while installing the lift, however the shocks were uncomfortably close to hitting when it was sitting on it's own weight. When I talked to the BDS rep he said that they rarely hear of shocks hitting on the 3.5" kit, though they do get that feedback more with kits bigger than that. When I told him I was using the MORE shackles it made more sense to him. The only reason I called them was I have installed a couple other BDS kits on other jeeps and have never had that happen, but each one was setup slightly differently.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
they just barely touch the axel tube when i jack up the rear a few inches so i can slide under the jeep on a creeper .not jacked up i can just see daylight between the shock and axel tube. i just don't want to damage the shock when i'm off road and putting the suspension through it's full travel .i'm going to get the RE shock relocator brackets to gain a little more room.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you use the shims that came pre-installed on the springs?

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #8 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
yes i did use the shims in the rear i removed the ones on the front springs
post #9 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:06 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Being that the stock lower mounts on the D35 are prone to ripping off, I'd just cut them off and go with something like THESE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
my next thing on the yj is to regear it from 3.07 to 3.73/4.10. i'll most likely try to find a set of axels with the right gears to swap in. at that point i'll weld on some better lower brackets
post #11 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsflh View Post
my next thing on the yj is to regear it from 3.07 to 3.73/4.10. i'll most likely try to find a set of axels with the right gears to swap in. at that point i'll weld on some better lower brackets
At that point, don't put another D35 in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you replace the axles, Look for 87' to 89' non c-clip.
Thicker axle tubes and won't drive home on 3 wheels and a dragging branch if the axle should snap.
Bigger rear brakes.
Chrysler actually found a way to downgrade an already weak rear axle from what AMC ran.

I found a set of 4:10 axles for 200 bucks.
timatoe likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
If you replace the axles, Look for 87' to 89' non c-clip.
Thicker axle tubes and won't drive home on 3 wheels and a dragging branch if the axle should snap.
Bigger rear brakes.
Chrysler actually found a way to downgrade an already weak rear axle from what AMC ran.

I found a set of 4:10 axles for 200 bucks.
are the axels near las vegas ?vegas is only a 2.5-3 hour drive from me .if i can't get ahold of a guy nearby that has a yj tub frame and axels[4cly islander] sitting in his yard that i hear he will get rid of maybe it's worth the drive north
post #14 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those axles are holding my Jeep up right now! I got rid of the c-clip axles.
I'll keep my ear out though.

If your near Rialto, there's a Jeep salvage place there. You can check with them.
Inland Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in