Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Main Seal

Anyone got any tricks for installing the rear main? I am about to make my 3rd attempt. The first one I put in backwards because I was rushing. The second one as I was sliding it in it ended up shave a tiny amount of rubber off of the last quarter inch but apparently that was enough to make it still have a slow but steady leak.

I am gonna loosen up more main caps this time but I dont want to do this 4 a 4th time. Oil isnt cheap anymore.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can recover your oil and reuse if you are careful and have a fresh receptacle.

Take your time, use some dish soap on the seal to help it slide through.

3rd time's a charm!

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is it not a two piece for your year and engine type?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Is it not a two piece for your year and engine type?
It is a 2 peice and I have screwed up the top half twice.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can recover your oil and reuse if you are careful and have a fresh receptacle.

Take your time, use some dish soap on the seal to help it slide through.

3rd time's a charm!
I dont have anything clean enough to reuse the oil. I dont see it as to bad that with 190,000 miles on it now it could use a good flush. I found some carbon chunks in the oil pan a decent amount the first time. Much much less the second time.

For the dish soap coat the whole thing or just though outside that goes against the block? I forgot about that trick.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I dont have anything clean enough to reuse the oil. I dont see it as to bad that with 190,000 miles on it now it could use a good flush. I found some carbon chunks in the oil pan a decent amount the first time. Much much less the second time.

For the dish soap coat the whole thing or just though outside that goes against the block? I forgot about that trick.
the half that slides into the upper portion, use a drop of dish soap and a drop of water mixed in your palm mixed. Coat the outer part that is against the block. I would not use DAWN, but any cheap brand of liquid soap will work. I have used scented hand soap from our guest bathroom before in a pinch.
Siva283 likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

post #7 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Blob
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dish soap or some fresh oil works well too. Getting it oriented correctly and taking the slow and steady approach works best; having a spare on hand helps too...just in case (lesson learned!)
post #8 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Dish soap or some fresh oil works well too. Getting it oriented correctly and taking the slow and steady approach works best; having a spare on hand helps too...just in case (lesson learned!)
I am gonna start tonight after work I need to do the rear main and put the oil slinger back on my timing chain that I just realized I never put back in.

I think I am gonna try dish soap and loosening the main bearing cap next the the rear one to hoping the crank shaft with drop down anothe half an thousanth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #9 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep. 2 piece rear main seals can be tricky to roll into place sometimes. Lube is key and do not hesitate loosen more main caps if necessary.

One thing I have found is the main cap to block mating surface can also leak. I have had very good success with using anaerobic sealer on this surface. It must be spanking clean and totally free of oil to work.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Blob
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
One thing I have found is the main cap to block mating surface can also leak. I have had very good success with using anaerobic sealer on this surface. It must be spanking clean and totally free of oil to work.
After trying other options, I too had the best success in ending the pesky rear main leak using Loctite 518 along with the Loctite Klean 'n Prime spray; that and springing for a new Milodon oil pan to bolt under the 360.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried the dish soap last night and it slide in much easier. Between the and spinning the crank a little when it would get hung up I got it in with alot less drama. I used Permatex 90 minute RTV this time instead of the one minute gasket to give me more working time. It was 9pm when I got done so its still sitting without oil so the 90 minute gasket has had plenty of time to dry. When I get home tonight I will throw oil in it and run it and see if the leak is stopped.

With that said after replacing or rebuilding everything but the VIN I am happy to finally be doing preventitive maintenance instead of trying to get it driveable.

I bought this one a year ago. I basically bought a failed project and a pile of parts. 2 weeks after I bought it. It threw a rod. I removed the engine without a single wrench and was even able to remove main caps without a wrench. The PO seemed to think finger tight was good enough. So after replacing that I killed the D35 spiders replaced them then blew the transfer case 2 weeks after that, And by blew I mean it exploded at 88mph so that proves **** does happen at 88 when the flux capacitor kicks in. Fixed that and then my Fiancee's jeep caught fire which will have been a year ago this Friday and then this Monday makes a year she succombed to being burnt over 95% of her body needless to say I need this jeep to not leak tonight. After she past my rear axle hung on long enough to make the funeral procession. She loved Jeeps as much as I so we had alot of jeeps in the procession. The rear pinion bearing spun on the way home from the funeral. At that point I had enough and parked it for the winter. When the weather broke. Her daughters(My adopted daughters. Thier father died 8 years ago not that they ever met him) They helped me regear and install lockers in both the D30 and the 8.8 and helped me install the 8.8. Then there has been a myrid of other things that happened. But I think she is finally ready to resume DD duty.

I took of Friday and Monday so me and my daughters can run off into the woods and camp and wheel all weekend. The Jeep bug had bit us all. And I refuse to let it die. I almost sold this jeep after all that and walked away but those girls brought me back to my senses. So hopefully this worked or atleast worked enough to use it this weekend. We have been fixing the jeep now its time for the jeep to fix us.
Boojo35 likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #12 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the Ramble as it gets closer it just really hits you. Today was also my fathers Birthday. August is a ****ty month. My Birthday is the 9th my neice is the 10th then the month goes down hill quickly

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #13 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's to hoping that leak is gone when you refill
Siva283 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I would not use DAWN, but any cheap brand of liquid soap will work. I have used scented hand soap from our guest bathroom before in a pinch.
I’ll bite.
Why not dawn?

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Quote:
I would not use DAWN, but any cheap brand of liquid soap will work. I have used scented hand soap from our guest bathroom before in a pinch.
I’ll bite.
Why not dawn?
IMO, dawn dries up the seal. The two I have had to redo withing 20k miles were both done with dawn from my wash sink at the shop. Use hand soap, not Dawn or hard degreasing soaps.

May just be superstition, but 50% of life is 100% speculation.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in