Rear Frame Bumper Reinforcing Brackets - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
MigMan1313
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Frame Bumper Reinforcing Brackets

I was reading this thread Thursday about the rear stock frame rail and how with aftermarket bumpers if you’re not careful the rear frame rail can bend and be damaged. Along with that there were recommendations to get these brackets that allow you bolt the bumper to part of the frame near the spring hanger. They looked like this,
I recently replaced my rear frame rail with a stock spec replacement not knowing that this problem could occur. If I had known at the time what I know now I would’ve purchased one of the thicker 3/16” rear frame cross-members instead of the oem one.

My question is if I purchase those brackets how will they workout with the spring hanger on the rear? It’s hard to tell online because all the pictures I can find show the brackets on a TJ even if they’re listed for the YJ. Or is there a better solution to this problem? Some sort homemade gusset that I can throw on there and call it good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A kid with a dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks like that specific bracket would be in the way of the shackle mount. I seem to remember another frame tie-in bracket that was discussed a while back that was made for the yj. Keep looking and something is probably out there already for it.

I can see why the rear crossmember wouldn't be trusted. The factory welds holding mine on were complete garbage, full of porosity and lack of fusion.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that there are two different brackets. A lot of sites will show only one pic for both. I had a set of brackets for my Warn tire carrier/ bumper. But I didn't need them, because I replaced the cross member with 3/8" angle iron.

bruinjeeper and puppybreath like this.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...

post #4 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
MigMan1313
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found one on A to Z Fabrication that is specific to the YJ, I’ll go ahead and pick them up and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A kid with a dream.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 06:59 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Those are the ones I was going to recommend. I have a set for my YJ just have not had time to install.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The YJ frame tie-in usually bolts to the bottom of the frame, where a nut is welded to the inside of the frame tubing.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigMan1313 View Post
I found one on A to Z Fabrication that is specific to the YJ, I’ll go ahead and pick them up and see what happens.
Zach (owner of A to Z) was a long-time vendor, avid supporter here, and overall great guy. I first met him on a Jeep run ~17 years ago where I sat shotgun in his YJ.

If you call him on the phone, tell him I said hi. I doubt if he still gives a JF discount, but you could ask.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 11:32 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigMan1313 View Post
Some sort homemade gusset that I can throw on there and call it good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
The YJ frame tie-in usually bolts to the bottom of the frame, where a nut is welded to the inside of the frame tubing.
^
this...
I just cut a piece of 2"x1/4" flat stock (length can vary) and then drilled a hole to match the hole in the bottom of the frame. Got a grade 8 bolt to fit the threaded hole (don't remember size) and then after snugging it into the frame with the piece, welded other end to my homebrew bumper which was bolted to the OEM holes in the cross member. (bumper was flush to frame, btw) It worked great and I smacked that bumper on many a rock for years.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 16 Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Aljal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

post #10 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 PM
Trjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mr. B what dimensions angle iron did you use and how did you attach rear bumper to that?

Last edited by Trjeeper; 05-25-2020 at 08:48 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mr.B is sadly not going to be able to answer that for you @Trjeeper

you can clearly see in the photo it is welded at the frame to angle iron. The body mounts passing through would do the rest
timatoe likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trjeeper View Post
Mr. B what dimensions angle iron did you use and how did you attach rear bumper to that?
Mr.B is no longer with us, but his posts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
That's what I did. There is also some of the original crossmember left, around the frame, that the angle iron was welded to. The second pic is what it looked like just before welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
It's been a few years since I did it, so I went out and measured it. It's 3 1/2" on the top, 4 1/4" down, and 54" across. Those are outside measurements. It doesn't have to be 54", but I think that's what it was stock. Or I might have had some other plans back then.
FWIW, I bought TJ brackets and trimmed them to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 03:57 AM
WestfieldMX5

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did this on my TJ. You could do something similar and use the inner mounting points. No body lift needed, everything clears (even stock fuel tank cover).
I fishtailed the bolts through the (existing) big hole in the chassis rail. Nuts went on fine with an impact wrench.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I used a piece of 2x2 1/4” wall tubing inside the oem rear crossmember.

I Welded the ends to the frame rails (which are an optimistic 3/16 thick) and had pre-located about 10 or 12 3/8 nuts inside that- lining up with factory holes in the crossmember plus a couple extra I drilled. 1-1/4” receiver welded to that.

Then, a piece of 2x5” of “light” C-channel (mimicking the front oem bumper, only much heavier) is mounted to that with grade 8 bolts into the welded nuts in the 2x2 effectively sandwiching the oem crossmember. The oem 7/16 threaded holes on the bottom of the frame behind the shackles are picked up by tabs I welded to the bumper that support some front tow hooks robbed from a 90s Chevy pkup. (Which are also welded to the tabs and bumper - with the 7/16 bolt passing through the original mounting hole)

That ‘may’ not be 100% adequate for, say, a custom swinging tire carrier with a 35” spare, but it’s at least as strong as a factory-style 1-1/4” trailer hitch receiver, it gains several inches of departure angle clearance, improves flexible use, and if you can wreck THAT setup- at that point you probably have much more significant problems than worrying about the rear crossmember. Plus the bumper is removable.

In other words, those frame support brackets are a great idea but are not the only way of dealing with the issue.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

RuffStuff has a brace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in