Rear Dana 35 Trac-Loc help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 Old 07-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and the D35 used 2 different ring gear bolt sizes depending on the carrier. If you need I have a set of ring gear bolts from mine but they were used for a few hunderd miles. They are the bigger size of the 2 different ring gear bolts that could be used.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Actually after I get my windsheild frame done I can take one of the bolts and go to Lowes and find out the size length and thread pitch for you. Itll be Saturday evening before I get a chance though

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #33 of 71 Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

3/8" and 5/16" are the sizes of ring gear bolts if I'm not mistaken.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #34 of 71 Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
3/8" and 5/16" are the sizes of ring gear bolts if I'm not mistaken.
I think you are correct. That sounds correct anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #35 of 71 Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Please don't flame me for this. An old guy with tons of experience but to much knowledge stored in the memory banks to always sort it out (or maybe have CRS and memory gets worse daily) LOL.

Some ring gear bolts are left hand thread. In fact. Lots of them are. Just pay attention. You for sure will not find them at Lowes if they are. Not sure if your diff is or isn't left hand thread.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #36 of 71 Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Please don't flame me for this. An old guy with tons of experience but to much knowledge stored in the memory banks to always sort it out (or maybe have CRS and memory gets worse daily) LOL.

Some ring gear bolts are left hand thread. In fact. Lots of them are. Just pay attention. You for sure will not find them at Lowes if they are. Not sure if your diff is or isn't left hand thread.
Dana 35 and other Dana diffs I've worked on were right hand thread. I seem to remember that Dana 35 ring gear bolts were 3/8 x 24 thread grade 8.
post #37 of 71 Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post

Mine were right hand threaded

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #38 of 71 Old 07-28-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If Im right, my 1991 Jeep Wrangler, Rear Differential with Trac-Loc: Dana 35, 355 gears, Ring Gear Bolt Size is: (3/8"-24 x .81"). If so, the Alma Bolt Company & Prime Fasteners Tightening Torque Guide states the below torque???

Fine Thread
Size Clamp Load Plain (ft. lbs.) Plated

3/8-24 (.375) 5588 35 26 ft lbs.

Jeep torque specs state the below????
194 RBI AXLE - Dana 35
DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATION
Axle Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SemiFloating Hypoid
Lubricant . . . . . . . . SAE Thermally Stable 80W90
Lubricant Trailer Tow . . . . . . . . Synthetic 75W140
Lube Capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.66 L (3.50 pts.)
Axle Ratios . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10
Differential Bearing Preload . . . . 0.1 mm (0.004 in.)
Differential Side Gear Clearance . . . . . . 00.15 mm
(00.006 in.)
Ring Gear Diameter . . . . . . . . . . 19.2 cm (7.562 in.)
Ring Gear Backlash . . . 00.15 mm (0.0050.008 in.)
Pinion Std. Depth . . . . . . . . . . 92.08 mm (3.625 in.)
Pinion Bearing Preload-Original Bearings . 12 Nm
(1020 in. lbs.)
Pinion Bearing Preload-New Bearings . . . 1.54 Nm
(1535 in. lbs.)
Maximum Carrier Spread . . . . . 0.51 mm (0.020 in.)
194 RBI AXLE
DESCRIPTION TORQUE
Bolt, Diff. Cover . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.)
Bolt, Bearing Cap . . . . . . . . . . . . 77 Nm (57 ft. lbs.)
Nut, Pinion . . . . . . . 271474 Nm (200350 ft. lbs.)
Screw, Pinion Mate Shaft Lock . . . . . . . . 16.25 Nm
(12 ft. lbs.)
Bolt, Ring Gear . . . . . . . 95122 Nm (7090 ft. lbs.)
Bolt, ABS Sensor . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 Nm (70 in. lbs.)
post #39 of 71 Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dab it with red locktite, torque to 35 lbs. I know I tried torquing to 90 and some of the bolts stripped. Ended up torquing to 65.

post #40 of 71 Old 07-29-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, THANK YOU!!! I thought I was going nuts. Every video I watched said 80 ft. lbs of torque? Then I looked up the torque specs for bolts and it said 35 ft.lbs. max, for that size bolt. Thanks again.
post #41 of 71 Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well after 1 month in my sisters driveway of messing around with this Rear Differential with Trac-Loc: Dana 35 and the (Crown kit: 5252497 CROWN TRAC-LOK GEAR & PLATE KIT DANA 35 3.73 RATIO) that never would fit. I decided to go with the 912A569 Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential. I put new OEM carrier side bearings and races, new OEM axle bearings and seals. It went together perfectly, except!! After everything was buttoned up, still up in the air, while I was putting on the rear tires, I noticed I had of axle play, I checked the other side and it was the same. I did test drive it and it seemed OK?? Then I thought I better not drive the Jeep until I call Eaton 7-30-2019. I talked to Brent their tech support man, who he said hes been doing this for 20 years. Brent said I should only have .030 of axle play. I ask Brent what should I do? Brent said he gets a few of these Jeeps with the same problem and for me to remake or build up the axle spacer that they suppled. I ask Brent if they have had this problem before why dont you have these spacers in different widths? Brent, we dont offer that, and I would have manufacture something up to fit, or remove the unit and send it back. Brent did offer some suggestions on how to build the spacer up or cut some cold roll steel bar to size, then heat it up and drop it in some oil.
I really hope someone on this forum has better suggestions? Thanks
post #42 of 71 Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler View Post
Well after 1 month in my sisters driveway of messing around with this Rear Differential with Trac-Loc: Dana 35 and the (Crown kit: 5252497 CROWN TRAC-LOK GEAR & PLATE KIT DANA 35 3.73 RATIO) that never would fit. I decided to go with the 912A569 Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential. I put new OEM carrier side bearings and races, new OEM axle bearings and seals. It went together perfectly, except!! After everything was buttoned up, still up in the air, while I was putting on the rear tires, I noticed I had of axle play, I checked the other side and it was the same. I did test drive it and it seemed OK?? Then I thought I better not drive the Jeep until I call Eaton 7-30-2019. I talked to Brent their tech support man, who he said hes been doing this for 20 years. Brent said I should only have .030 of axle play. I ask Brent what should I do? Brent said he gets a few of these Jeeps with the same problem and for me to remake or build up the axle spacer that they suppled. I ask Brent if they have had this problem before why dont you have these spacers in different widths? Brent, we dont offer that, and I would have manufacture something up to fit, or remove the unit and send it back. Brent did offer some suggestions on how to build the spacer up or cut some cold roll steel bar to size, then heat it up and drop it in some oil.
I really hope someone on this forum has better suggestions? Thanks
What do you mean by axle play? You mean in/out play? There shouldn't be any. The center pin and c-clips keeps that from happening. Not sure what you mean by spacers. Did you forget to reinstall the c-clips?

post #43 of 71 Old 07-30-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, this is now a 912A569 Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential, NO center pin, just a spacer and yes in/out axle play to answer your question. I have 1/4" play (in and out) on both axles, Yes I did put in the "C" clips. Eaton states I have to custom manufacture the Axle Spacer that's circled in the below photo.

Eaton knows of this issue but has NO cure. I ask why if they know of this issue why didn't they make different thickness of this spacer? He said no enough misfits/complaints for them to deal with. Now how much would it cost them to make a 100 of these different size spacers during manufacturing? At least one oversize spacer that you could size to fit and not have to weld on or manufacture and new one? I'm not sure but I think he said these were manufacture in Taiwan????
post #44 of 71 Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler View Post
Awesome, this is now a 912A569 Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential, NO center pin, just a spacer and yes in/out axle play to answer your question. I have 1/4" play (in and out) on both axles, Yes I did put in the "C" clips. Eaton states I have to custom manufacture the Axle Spacer that's circled in the below photo.

Eaton knows of this issue but has NO cure. I ask why if they know of this issue why didn't they make different thickness of this spacer? He said no enough misfits/complaints for them to deal with. Now how much would it cost them to make a 100 of these different size spacers during manufacturing? At least one oversize spacer that you could size to fit and not have to weld on or manufacture and new one? I'm not sure but I think he said these were manufacture in Taiwan????
To be fair, most people who are willing to do that kind of work don't want to keep the D35 to begin with. It's probably a product that has single-digit sales numbers.

If you don't want to make the spacer, ask a machine shop to make you one. Probably take a machinist ten minutes.

I've never heard of there being different sizes of D35 axles though, so that is a bit strange.

post #45 of 71 Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

And since you changed the carrier did you set up the gears. Its not as easy as new bearing and slap it in with the same shims. If you just put bearings on it and slapped it in there is a good change your ring and pinion wont live long. Especially since incorrect backlash will hammer the gears flat pretty quickly
mudbug85603 likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in