Rear Dana 35 Trac-Loc help - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Dana 35 Trac-Loc help

I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, 5spd. Dana Spicer 35: 52068007 LS 3.55 5502-3, rear differential.
My Trac-Loc broke, actually just the Trac-Loc large cone washer on one side.
I need to get this up and running quickly.
Instead of just replacing the friction disc kit, and be done with it, I was looking at the Detroit Locker 912A569 Detroit Trutrac by Eaton and was wondering how precise the two housing are to one another? Could I put two new Timken bearings (the same thats on now) on the new Eaton, transfer the ring gear, would I have problems with shimming the ring gear and the depth of the pinion? Im trying not touching the pinion, hopefully. I need all the help I can get. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Toastmaster
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are just swapping out the carrier, you should be OK to pull the ring gear off the old carrier and re-use the same shims. Care should be taken to replace the shims on the same sides that they were removed from.

90' YJ 4.2L Howell EFI, Pacesetter Headers, MT 32" Baja ATZ's, Teamrush Ignition, Trac Loc D35.
post #3 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

At a minimum you will need to reset backlash. Replacing the carrier and bearings could allow it to move more than enough to throw it out of spec. You can get a .002 difference in just the bearing. The D35 backlash spec is .005 to .010 if I remember correctly. You would probably be ok on pinion depth but you would still want to set backlash and take a pattern. I would not just swap the carrier and hope for the best there is a fair chance you would be looking at a regear soon after and possibly destroying your brand new Eaton LS. I wouldnt take that chance. Setting up gears is not that hard with proper tools which arent very expensive. My 9 y/0 daughter and I did my 8.8 and D30 about 3 months ago.
Awesome likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

post #4 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
What they said. You can measure the new carrier, but chances are it will be different. You'll want to measure what's in there now, the bearing shims, just for reference. This will help you know what to shoot for with the new setup. You might get lucky with the pinion but it's hard to say without measuring it. If you have a large enough micrometer or some good markings, you can compare the carriers and know where you need to be. You can get a dial indicator with magenetic base on amazon for under $40. Tools worth having.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #5 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have listed the one below that I'd like to replace my "Dana 35 Rear Differential with Trac-Loc:" with. Is anyone familiar with or has installed the below?
(Quadratec) Detroit Locker 912A569 Detroit Trutrac by Eaton Performance Limited Slip Differential for 27 Spline Dana 35 Axle with 3.54 and Numerically Higher Gear Ratio
Item No: 16100.604?
I see horror stories about people buying this style of kit, then the bolt holes in the carrier for the ring gear are too small and need to be drilled out and so on? I did talk to Quadratec and they said that this happens sometimes???????????
I'm close to buying the "Dana Spicer Inner Gear Kit - Trac-Loc Fits: Dana 35 Rear Trac Lok Limited Slip, Part Number: 094-708184", from Jegs and slapping it right back together, and not dealing with all the drama in not knowing what I'm buying?
I'm open to ALL opinions.
Again, Thanks
post #6 of 71 Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you're worried about having to modify something, then only replace your parts with the same parts you're taking out.

Use the Spicer kit and call it good.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 12:21 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If all you're doing is replacing the posi unit, you shouldn't have to remove the pinion. Before you remove the old Trac Lok carrier, take backlash readings at three or four places around the circumference of the ring gear. Record the readings and set the backlash on the new carrier to the average of the readings you took.
post #8 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the great information. I'll let you know how it comes out. Have a GREAT 4th.
post #9 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
If all you're doing is replacing the posi unit, you shouldn't have to remove the pinion. Before you remove the old Trac Lok carrier, take backlash readings at three or four places around the circumference of the ring gear. Record the readings and set the backlash on the new carrier to the average of the readings you took.
He doesnt have to remove the pinion but the new carrier could change the position of the ring gear which would effect pinion depth
Awesome likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
He doesnt have to remove the pinion but the new carrier could change the position of the ring gear which would effect pinion depth
No. Once the pinion depth is set, you don't change it. Changing backlash (carrier position) will affect heel/toe pattern position. The position of the ring gear (backlash) is changed by adjusting carrier bearings. As I stated previously, he should try to set backlash to the original setting. Change the pinion depth and chances are good that the rear end will be noisy.

post #11 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Determining total shim pack thickness for new carrier:

1. Install new bearings on new carrier.
2. Install carrier minus ring gear with bearings in housing.
3. Install shims between housing and bearings until there is no end play (left-right).
4. Measure the total thickness of the shims. Record this on a piece of paper.
5. Install ring gear and adjust backlash (splitting total shim thickness between the 2 side bearings) while maintaining total shim thickness as previously recorded.
6. When backlash is correct, adjust shims such that you maintain the previous total shim thickness plus .004" to each side bearing (so you will be adding a total of.008"). that is your preload.

Edit: Installer will require a diff carrier shim set. Getting a couple sets will give more selection.
Luuca likes this.
post #12 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Pinion depth should be the same. Regardless of new carrier or bearings installed, they have a centerline..... If the pinion depth to carrier arrangement changes then the carrier or pinion depth would be tight on one side and loose on the other. It would be poorly machined and non concentric.

Backlash measurements before and after to match your used gearset pattern. Preload. It has all been mentioned. You really dont need to run a gear pattern if you match the above two things.
80cj likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #13 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Pinion depth should be the same. Regardless of new carrier or bearings installed, they have a centerline..... If the pinion depth to carrier arrangement changes then the carrier or pinion depth would be tight on one side and loose on the other. It would be poorly machined and non concentric.

Backlash measurements before and after to match your used gearset pattern. Preload. It has all been mentioned. You really dont need to run a gear pattern if you match the above two things.
Exactly. If you leave the pinion alone and set your backlash to what it was originally, the mesh pattern should not change. When I first started doing rearend work, I was installing posi and lockers in trucks and Jeeps. Did exactly as described and no problems.
post #14 of 71 Old 07-05-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I made my decision, I'm taking "Awesome" advise and replacing the broken parts and putting it back together. A BIG THANKS to all who replied.
I do have other questions
1991 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 5spd Dana 35 Rear Differential with Trac-Loc
Im replacing my Dana 35 Rear Differential Trac-Loc disc set.
1st, what viscosity should I use, 75w-90w gear oil or 85w-140w gear oil. I have pulled a trailer before, but very seldom.
2nd, I see Valvoline has gear oil for limited slip, they say it has the additive already in their gear oil, so no friction modifier needed?
3rd, should I use Full Synthetic or conventional gear oil?
All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Valvoline Syn Power, Full Synthetic, Limited Slip, 75w-90w gear oil, Part # VV975

Valvoline High Performance, limited slip, 85w-140w gear oil, Part # VV825
post #15 of 71 Old 07-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Valvoline full synthetic 75w-90, but I don't tow anymore with my Jeep. I don't put any extra additive in.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in