Real Jeep Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Stars&stripes

Real Jeep Question

Hi there,

Newby here, have a 87 wrangler V6 and a question,

Why do XJ (Cherokee) owners always trash other Jeeps and yelling at everybody that a XJ is the real Jeep?

I have seen several times in different forums that XJ owners attack YJ/CJ/KJ owners about their cars and telling everybody how much better they think the XJ is, why are they so insecure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 AM
RCHavok797

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have never had that experience with an XJ owner with them being insecure. An XJ is a real Jeep, do you realize how many people out there wheel them? Before you start bashing other Jeeps and other people's choice to own them, you should probably learn a little more about your Jeep, for example: your Jeep doesn't have a V6 engine, it has an I6. If your goal is to start a flame war well then you have come to the wrong forum for that.

2005 LJ Impact Orange 4.0L Automatic (Tigger) - new ride
1991 YJ Sahara 4.0L Automatic
1978 Dodge Lil Red Express - work in progress
post #3 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Moxley

2017 JK Wrangler 

Ummm, Jealousy? They are two totally different class vehicles and shouldn't be compared. The XJ is more less and nice family 4x4 and the true Jeeps (CJ/YJ/TJ) are for people who like to play in the mud. I've learned to ignore people who bad mouth things in life because most of the time, they're just bitter individuals.

Welcome Aboard....
Doug

post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 AM
osin54

I dunno stars, maybe the same reason you went over to the cherokee thread and trashed on thier cherokees? I had to go over to the XJ forum and read the "real jeep" post. Just an opinion. I want too impressed with a lot of the "my xj is better than any wrangler" comments, but who cares. I think if you cant respect another Jeepers rig, you aint worth the dirt your wheelin on. A jeep is a jeep. Whatever. My first jeep was a cherokee. I loved it, but I love my wrangler too. You cant compare the two, they are too different, but they got one thing in common, that 4 letter word pasted to every single one that ever rolled off the production floor.
I will now step off my soap box.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Hackle

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wheel with a couple buddies that have XJ's they go the same places the rest of us go in our YJ's. In some places they shine and in others our YJ's do. The longer wheel base helps in steep climbs up the waterfalls. Overall the driver that knows how and where to pick the line for thier vehicle of choice makes the difference. It was different learning how to spot for the XJ's.

89 YJ Nearly Stock:)
3 link w/ coilovers front. 4 link coil over rear, 39.5" IROC's, Walker Evans Beadlocks, Rear 60 w/spool, Tera Low, Front 60 w/ OX Locker, Warn 9000, & a few others. New 4.0 HO
post #6 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&stripes
Hi there,

Why do XJ (Cherokee) owners always trash other Jeeps and yelling at everybody that a XJ is the real Jeep?

I have seen several times in different forums that XJ owners attack YJ/CJ/KJ owners about their cars and telling everybody how much better they think the XJ is, why are they so insecure?
Oh please, that's not something exclusive to XJ owners... You know how many times I have a SWB owner ask me why I've got my "station wagon" on a trail? Even with my 35's... SWB'ers are even worse to Grand owners... Hell, even you SWB'ers do it to yourselves! CJ folks claiming CJ's are the only "real" Jeeps, raggin on those square headlighted YJ's, and "plastic" TJ's... YJ'ers raggin' on TJ's, claiming they're the last "real" Jeeps, TJ'ers raggin' on those old CJ's and YJ's... And everybody rags on KJ's...

Personally I think it's all stupid. I'm no fan of the KJ myself (IFS sucks for Jeepin'), but I'm aware of the fact that they don't totally suck, they just lack the same potential as all the other Jeeps.

We've got both an XJ and a TJ, both of which are highly modified. Both have their pros and cons. My XJ goes everywhere my wife's TJ does, and vice versa. She has an easier time on tight trails, I have an easier time on hill climbs and other obstacles where the LWB is an advantage. I also tow a 20' camper to trail runs, something I'd never consider doing with a SWB Jeep. And yes, I tow that camper with 35's and 4.56 gears.

Oh, and from your usage of "KJ" both here and on the post in the XJ forum, I think you're confusing it with the TJ...
post #7 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Jeeprage

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Hi there,

You have that rare V6 option in 87? Learn a little bit before you start talking sh*t. How old are you really?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 JKU - 6m
post #8 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 11:33 AM
OlllllllO

2000 TJ Wrangler 

both vehicles have there pluses and minus'. having owned both an XJ and a YJ, the XJ has much more cargo and leg space (this coming from a guy who's 6'4" ). the XJ's also much warmer in the winter,which is a big plus , but i'd still never trade my YJ for anything else in the world

back jeepin again....
post #9 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 11:37 AM
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllO
...but i'd still never trade my YJ for anything else in the world
I think you'll find that same sentiment from most Jeep owners, regardless of what model they drive... I think it's called PRIDE, and a simple love for that model of Jeep.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 12:22 PM
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Hi there,

If you drove a station wagon, wouldn't you be insecure? Sure, they can build 'em and they can wheel 'em, but they are still station wagons. There's nothing wrong with station wagons, that is if you are Clark Griswold.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 12:25 PM
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
If you drove a station wagon, wouldn't you be insecure? Sure, they can build 'em and they can wheel 'em, but they are still station wagons. There's nothing wrong with station wagons, that is if you are Clark Griswold.
See what I'm talking about?
post #12 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 PM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Yeah Jason, I bet all the people out there with SWB's would just leave your poor cherokee in the dust wouldn't they? Amazes me how people put nerf bars and wide wheels on a YJ and then badmouth other 4 wheelers about how they have a "real" trail rig. Yall wanna know what the best rig is? A Scrambler; longer wheelbase, but still uncomfortable and unsafe enough to be called a "real" jeep.

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #13 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 01:03 PM
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Everyone is angry! I like all Jeeps. Everyone has personal preferance. That is want is great about Jeeps. You can mod them your way.

Personal I did not want a XJ because the are uni-body and tend to have problem with that later. Like door not fitting right.

I am in a Jeep club that has some people who don't have Jeep. I don't discriminate.

Garage Monkey, Wheeling Junkie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 01:07 PM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

In my experience, as soon as you badmouth a rig, you will see something about it that you would like to have on yours. Every 4wd out there has it's limitations, strengths, and weaknesses, and almost any 4wd can be built to be a muther of a trail rig. Keep that in mind before you blast someone for not having a "real" rig.

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #15 of 21 Old 08-08-2003, 01:48 PM
basalt51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
In my experience, as soon as you badmouth a rig, you will see something about it that you would like to have on yours. Every 4wd out there has it's limitations, strengths, and weaknesses, and almost any 4wd can be built to be a muther of a trail rig. Keep that in mind before you blast someone for not having a "real" rig.
Agreed. If nothing else we can thank StarsandStripes ingnorance for bringing us all closer together. We've learned to accept our differences and embrace their benefits. I love you guys!

'97 Cherokee Country RE 5.5", 35" Goodyear MT/Rs, RRO Step-Rails, Skid-Row TC and gas tank skids, BPI bumpers, Dynatrac HP44 and Spider9/Tru Hi9 with 4.88s, Explorer discs, and detroits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in