Radio = Power but no sound - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NHfireLJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
WhyJ94

Radio = Power but no sound

Hey guys,

I've made a lot of progress on my YJ and am now trying to tackle the radio/speakers. The old stock radio from the PO turned on but had no sound. I assumed the radio may have gotten wet or had just the bullet from age or that the speakers died. I purchased an aftermarket radio and a compatible Metra Wiring Harness and crimped/plugged everything in. The radio has power, can switch between all modes (AUX/BT/RADIO/FM/AM) and has no problem connecting to my phone through Blue Tooth. However, no matter what mode I set it on there is zero sound from the speakers..no crackling, static, popping, etc. So I unplugged the speakers from the front dash to take them out of the equation and spliced in some other speakers into the aftermarket radio's wiring for the front speakers. Still no sound at all. In this equation the Jeep is only providing the power and so I should be getting some sound to the speakers I know work fine, yet nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I matched the wires/colors from the Aftermarket to the Metra Wiring Harness perfectly, so its not a compatibility issue. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 PM
91MoneyPit

You could check the continuity between the speaker and the head unit plug to see if there may be a break somewhere in the wires. You could also check the settings of the head unit, I know one that I’ve had in the past had settings for turning on the speakers.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 04:36 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91MoneyPit View Post
You could check the continuity between the speaker and the head unit plug to see if there may be a break somewhere in the wires. You could also check the settings of the head unit, I know one that I’ve had in the past had settings for turning on the speakers.
Really? Outside of the mute button?

Seems absurd right? The head unit has ONE function, why include a setting that would negate it. (Especially when you can just hit mute)

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 06:12 PM
91MoneyPit

Depending on the unit, it’s possible. What head unit did you install?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 PM
91MoneyPit

There’s a big thread with stereo wiring info that may be helpful https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...topics/2763434
post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
WhyJ94

Thanks - I've already read up on that post (good stuff). I bought a relatively cheap 'Dual' Aftermarket Unit from Walmart. I can get some pictures and more info tomorrow when it's light..
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 06:59 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the antenna is plugged into the back... silly but it'll power on but may not get sound if its not..
timatoe likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
[QUOTE=bruinjeeper;40985135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91MoneyPit View Post
Really? Outside of the mute button?

Seems absurd right? The head unit has ONE function, why include a setting that would negate it. (Especially when you can just hit mute)
That’s not uncommon these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJ94 View Post
Thanks - I've already read up on that post (good stuff). I bought a relatively cheap 'Dual' Aftermarket Unit from Walmart. I can get some pictures and more info tomorrow when it's light..
I use that unit. Worked great up until the last iPhone update, now it isn’t consistent and you can’t play youtube through the speakers anymore.

There is a weird Bluetooth thing I’ve somehow triggered a few times that muted the speakers. The ‘fix’ I discovered is to delete the Bluetooth connection, start over, and reconnect. Viola! Sound!

The head unit is great, the last apple update wrecked it and now I have random issue.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #9 of 12 Old 06-18-2020, 05:04 PM
Hamjam93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any update? I am having the exact problem in my 93, bought the same Duel from walmart. Taken the dash of today trying to find any breaks but nothing so far.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2020, 05:36 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Try deleting the Bluetooth connection, hard-booting the phone, and remate. I did that a couple times and then it worked.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 12 Old 06-19-2020, 10:15 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamjam93 View Post
Any update? I am having the exact problem in my 93, bought the same Duel from walmart. Taken the dash of today trying to find any breaks but nothing so far.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares
post #12 of 12 Old 06-19-2020, 12:03 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I second the antenna connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in