• 1 Post By Waternut
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quick 8.8 Question

There are a couple Exploder Limited Slip 3.73 8.8 axles for sale locally pretty cheap. My YJ is the 2.5 squirrel version so has the 4.10/4.11 gearing. My question is can I swap ring and pinion to convert the 3.73 to the 4.10/4.11 without any other alteration? I plan to go thru and change all the bearings in the process but didnt know if the case will accept the different gear set.

Both have disc brakes and I am aware of the Ebrake issues after reading many threads about the swap. Thanks to all who have done this swap and posted up the processes and pitfalls.

That is all. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 12:02 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, but you can't simply swap the gear set. You have to do the actual set up of the gears, backlash etc etc. It will be cheaper in the long run to find one with 4.10 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 12:44 AM
paulhead

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found a 8.8 and a D30 both with 4.10s at a LKQ warehouse both for around $600 like 6 years ago. Musta been some sort of fluke.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 05:53 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

www.car-part.com You should be able to find what you need there.

I'd definitely pay even $200-$300 more just to not have to do gears. Between the gears, bearings, and almost the full day it'll take to do it, it's worth finding a 4.10 geared 8.8. Also, the limited slip diff that most junkyards call a locker typically doesn't cost anymore than the open diff versions. The only downside with the LSD version is that you have to install a full carrier locker if you upgrade and can't install a lunchbox locker. Then again, lunchbox locker in the rear is not ideal so it kind of forces you down the right path.
timatoe likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 06:58 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

+1 - try to find one with 4.10s. In my pull-a-part experience (several trips), they are uncommon and harder to find. But worth the cost savings and hassle not to have to mess with the gears.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 07:29 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went in the other direction. I just wanted a 8.8 axle without anything in it, then add nice new parts of my choosing, so I have a known entity when done. Don't be intimidated by doing gears. It's not rocket surgery, just time consuming. My only special tools are a micrometer to measure shims and a dial indicator for backlash. I did my first r/p 20 years ago after only talking to a buddy on the phone for 30 mins to verify my plan, no JF back then.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #7 of 12 Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I went in the other direction. I just wanted a 8.8 axle without anything in it, then add nice new parts of my choosing, so I have a known entity when done. Don't be intimidated by doing gears. It's not rocket surgery, just time consuming. My only special tools are a micrometer to measure shims and a dial indicator for backlash. I did my first r/p 20 years ago after only talking to a buddy on the phone for 30 mins to verify my plan, no JF back then.
Don, thanks for your and everyone elses response. I completely understand the process of setting up the gears and yes, I think it would take me quite a while. Ive searched the JY's for the unicorn D2 and am having no luck. The recent discovery of the two D4's got me thinking about just rebuilding one to make it a D2. Having an axle I know will last makes a big difference while I am building my YJ into what I want. With the addition of the Vortec V6 I just scored, the pie in the sky plan is coming together. The V6 is a bit of an unknown so I will tear it down and at minimum replace bearings, rings and seals. The S10 Blazer donor was retired because of an electrical problem the owners couldnt solve. I got the whole truck for $100. "Get it out of my yard" was the owners statement as I handed him the C note.

I think the engine is in good shape but we will see. Its located 120 miles away at a friends close to where I bought it from his son's in laws. My friend will pull the engine and drive train which I will bring to Jacksonville to start the rebuild process at my convenience then back down to my buddy's shop for fabrication into my YJ. I wish I could drag the whole thing here and do the work but Jacksonville's Zoning Department tours my neighborhood often. Codes forbid any "major repair" work at my house. If I had a shop it would be different. Hell, if I had a 10'X10' piece of concrete, I would do it.

The D4s are $150 or less and new ring, pinion, and bearings about $200. Spit balling someone else setting the gears up properly for another $150 and I will have a known quantity, good as new axle to install for less than buying a used D2. Now I know the gear set swap will work, its the way I will go. Buying a limited slip D4 and set up I think is cheaper than buying a dog leg 42 axle and installing a limited slip chunk. A lunch box locker wont be the best way for me to go and with the new posi chunks starting at around $500, its more expensive than using OEM Ford posi.

Oh how the wheels turn. As I sell off some of my rifles to finance the YJ, the mod budget grows. The first one sold this week, four more to go, and I can either start the V6 rebuild or the 8.8. A $4K kitty will go a long way for mechanical mods. Decisions, decisions, lol.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-12-2021, 08:34 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ford produced a LOT of explorer's with the 4.10 Open setup.

Just saying. If you can hold out, it might be worth it financially.

Other than that, best of luck with the mod!
paulhead likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I looked and looked and then suddenly a bunch showed up. just be careful not to get an 8.8 out of the wrong vehicle, there were tons of variants
paulhead likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Quote:

I looked and looked and then suddenly a bunch showed up. just be careful not to get an 8.8 out of the wrong vehicle, there were tons of variants
I suppose they are gonna be more common in Canada.

Not nearly as many builders from what I can tell up here. My first weekend searching, I found 4.10 open 8.8 for $80.

(+ the cost of new gears 4.56)

post #11 of 12 Old Today, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks Bruin, Ive seen a few 42's out there. I thought about this variation. While its an option to have a dog leg, the cost of making it into a posi is much greater than having a posi to begin with. The aftermarket posi like an Eaton may be better and being new, it makes the system better.

Ford does have a few different vehicles with lighter 8.8 posi's. I assume maybe axle spline count maybe? I was looking at TheRangerStation.com at the different weight classes. It got me wondering what makes, for ex. a Ranger less than an Explorer. 2750 vs 3200. There are 7.5" ring geared and 8.8"s While the 3200 8.8 is the best choice, our Wranglers arent that heavy. Why is the 2750 8.8 out of a Bronco 11 so less desirable?

Racers like the 8.8's as well and makes the competition even bigger at the U Pull Its. Finding one already pulled in some variation is a big plus in my book. I hate to let them slide by, just like the $100 "Get it out of my yard" 4.3 Blazer. It isnt without issues either, a rebuild and a stand alone wiring harness will be in my future. I dont mind changing an R&P, bearings and seals to have a good known entity.

This thread is turning into bigger than a simple one question thread, lol. Thanks for the input guys!
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 04:07 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlotAddict View Post
Quote:

Thanks Bruin, Ive seen a few 42's out there. I thought about this variation. While its an option to have a dog leg, the cost of making it into a posi is much greater than having a posi to begin with. The aftermarket posi like an Eaton may be better and being new, it makes the system better.

Ford does have a few different vehicles with lighter 8.8 posi's. I assume maybe axle spline count maybe? I was looking at TheRangerStation.com at the different weight classes. It got me wondering what makes, for ex. a Ranger less than an Explorer. 2750 vs 3200. There are 7.5" ring geared and 8.8"s While the 3200 8.8 is the best choice, our Wranglers arent that heavy. Why is the 2750 8.8 out of a Bronco 11 so less desirable?

Racers like the 8.8's as well and makes the competition even bigger at the U Pull Its. Finding one already pulled in some variation is a big plus in my book. I hate to let them slide by, just like the $100 "Get it out of my yard" 4.3 Blazer. It isnt without issues either, a rebuild and a stand alone wiring harness will be in my future. I dont mind changing an R&P, bearings and seals to have a good known entity.

This thread is turning into bigger than a simple one question thread, lol. Thanks for the input guys!
Rangers = less spline count.

Dont forget if you can find an explorer sport-trac. I believe they carried the 8.8 with discs a few years after the regular explorer went to IRS. Gives you a few more models to choose from

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in