• 2 Post By Waternut
  • 3 Post By Waternut
  • 1 Post By 92 Green YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-05-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For those of you who have done this has anyone run into any problems with recovery? If you get buried and need a good solid yank has anyone ever bent the frame in doing so?

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There's always a possibility but generally speaking no. 1/4" shock towers aren't exactly weak but it wouldn't hurt to run a plate maybe 3-6" beyond the shock tower along the backside if you're worried.
timatoe and danthman like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You bring up a really good point that never crossed my mind. Interesting thought. Like Waternut said, the towers are 1/4 thick material and contain great strength with their shape. I would say if you have 1/4 in thick towers that are properly welded in and properly trussed, once that is combined with attaching the rear frame to the body mounts and tying all that together, there is plenty of frame strength to use as a pull point from the rear bumper. I think I would avoid having another rig attach a nylon strap to my bumper and take a 10 foot run to pick up speed before the strap starts stretching. Use common sense and you should have no problem.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's just one of those things... You're reinforcing one things and weakening another. Plenty of guys use the kinetic ropes with frenched shock mounts. However, once you get to a certain point in your build, you're not crawling basketball sized rocks anymore with an off the shelf lift. IMO, you french shock mounts to install coilovers or something else to gain maximum articulation so you move up to small car sized rocks. At this point your entire rig requires more attention and inspection regardless of what kind of lift you run.
timatoe, jbolty and danthman like this.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
It's just one of those things... You're reinforcing one things and weakening another. Plenty of guys use the kinetic ropes with frenched shock mounts. However, once you get to a certain point in your build, you're not crawling basketball sized rocks anymore with an off the shelf lift. IMO, you french shock mounts to install coilovers or something else to gain maximum articulation so you move up to small car sized rocks. At this point your entire rig requires more attention and inspection regardless of what kind of lift you run.

that's what I plan on doing. theres lots of canyons here where only crawlers can go unless you want to walk. but we do like to hit the occasional mud hole in the gila river. im still collecting parts for my build but im getting closer.
so far everything I have...
axles, front and rear towers, both trusses, high steer arms, front shock brackets for a sd d60. still have a long way to go...

post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 12:30 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tie the cage to the frame, this will help "truss" the frame a bit.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #7 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 12:56 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had that same thought looking at it but one of our group had Mr Blaine do his and told him not to worry about it so that's good enough for me.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #8 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 01:21 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think as long as it is fully welded in at every edge it should be just fine. I didn’t French my rear shock towers but I did slice a 3” hole right thru the back of mine where the stock rear shackle mount was to run my exhaust thru. I sleeved the hole with some round tube and fully welded it all the way around on both sides making it an integral part of the frame. I’m not too worried about it hurting the frame strength.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
I think as long as it is fully welded in at every edge it should be just fine. I didn’t French my rear shock towers but I did slice a 3” hole right thru the back of mine where the stock rear shackle mount was to run my exhaust thru. I sleeved the hole with some round tube and fully welded it all the way around on both sides making it an integral part of the frame. I’m not too worried about it hurting the frame strength.

interesting. does that exhaust rattle in the frame?

post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2020, 08:31 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post

Was thinking the same. But then again I followed the detail in that build thread, and thought better than to ask.

No way he would leave a detail like that unrefined. Must be snug fit or insulated

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2020, 10:16 AM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthman View Post
So far no it hasn’t made a peep. The exhaust itself is pretty solidly mounted. I also have it wrapped and the wrap does slot in on the inside of the frame to help cushion it.
bruinjeeper likes this.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in