• 1 Post By Red88
  • 1 Post By fishadventure
  • 1 Post By bpounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Purpose of this tie rod "handle"?

Anyone know the reason for this handle thing in the red ellipse?

Trying to do my steering alignment and it's in the way... is it actually needed?

Thnx!

Attached Images

4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM
bharris68
Gravel Truck Pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I've crawled under my jeep to hammer on ball joints for changes and the like, I recall that the fork or rod is positioned so that rocks and road debris don't smash up your threads or screw up your alignment nuts.

There could be a more specific reason, but that was my offhand observation I suspect a lot more intelligent folks that do this for a living can either confirm or refute my hypothesis
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It appears to be there to keep the adjuster sleeve from turning on it's own since it rides in the groove.
Mr.B, bharris68 and Azhunter1 like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It fits too well in the adjustment sleeve. It might serve a dual purpose but I always assumed it was a safety feature to ensure the tie rod doesn't loosen.

Makes it really hard to adjust the tie rod so I cut it off and made sure the nuts were tight.
bharris68 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Makes it really hard to adjust the tie rod so I cut it off and made sure the nuts were tight.
Yeah, there's no grooving/threading so it just seems superfluous. Riding in the groove of the adjusting sleeve is what I thought too... but it doesn't REALLY fit in the groove. So long as the adjusting sleeve nuts are tight things should be good.
bharris68 likes this.

4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Red88

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is to help keep the tie rod adjuster from turning. All you have to do is remove the bolt that holds it down and it will slide out of the way. There is a slot in the tie rod that the bolt passes through so you have to line it up when reinstalling. This is the first rig I have seen them on but I kept mine as it was put there for a purpose.
bharris68 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is a convenience/safety feature as mentioned ^^^^
I’m unclear how that it’s in the way?

Imho I wouldn’t remove it. While admittedly it’s nowhere near as “serious” I wouldn’t remove it any sooner than I’d remove my pitman arm nut or any of the cotter pins in the tie rod ends.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've always considered it a keeper, like any cotter pin or safety wire. I believe this assembly has right and left hand threads, so turning the adjuster sleeve makes a fast adjustment of toe-in. Having that turn unintentionally would not be a good thing.

bharris68 likes this.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in