Purchased a 95 YJ.. did I go wrong? Opinions or ideas - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 12-15-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Clint S

Purchased a 95 YJ.. did I go wrong? Opinions or ideas

Well I purchased a 95 4.0 5 speed yj on 35 swampers, I know the sig is not filled, haven’t figured it out yet, so here’s a run down.
I searched all over looking for things to look out for when buying a yj. It is my first Jeep and bought it to be able to take my girls out to the woods or in town to get ice cream or whatever. It’s not a daily driver or primary means of transportation. I looked the Jeep over as much as I could, noticed surface rust on the frame, nothing I could stab a screw driver for except the gas tank skid plate. No rust on the body, except the body mounts.
The motor fires right up, runs like a top, has a lot torque, is quiet and doesn’t get got. It does have a slight rear main seal leak. The trans shifts smooth, in each gear. Clutch feels nice and it locks in and out of 4wd and back to 2wd easily.

I picked the Jeep up for 4K and brought it home. Like stated it’s a 95 4.0 5 speed on 35s, Dana 30/35. I understand the dangers and problems with the D35. So anyway come to find out when going through everything the rear end has 3:07s and front has 3:73s. The rear end also has a lot of axle wrap and seems to have a clunk with initial take off in 1st or reverse. The carrier pin in the 35 also has some movement or clicks. The front axle is leaking bad by the CAD and right knuckle same with the steering box.

The suspension is a spring over axle setup in the front and the rear I’m assuming is a lifted leaf spring or combo with some shackles, leaf is still under the axle. Sway bars are gone as well.

Interior is decent, lights/blinkers work, gauges works radio/speakers work, a/c does not but compressor kicks on if jumped, defroster works and wipers.

So why I asked if I did wrong is because it seems now like a huge problem on my hands. A good friend (mechanic) came over and said it’s rusty and that I have a lot of work ahead of me. When I got to looking at it I was wondering the same (still thought it was surface rust) and am getting discouraged.
I can turn a wrench but am no certified mechanic. So I don’t know where to start to make it “safe” or useable for any road condition.

I apologize for ranting or if I didn’t make much sense. I worry about the axle wrap, gears, the clunking when taking off and the body mounts.
Thoughts? In too steep? Or seems normal?

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
Dana 30/35 w/ 4.11s & Spartan lockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Clint S

Few pictures of the jeep
Attached Thumbnails
73A50CA9-DDBB-4944-811C-CE58057A587C_1576469107727.jpg   6335EF3B-B655-4B45-80C5-F99F22D68044_1576469309971.jpeg   9793A651-5420-420C-A94E-A3927B7733EA_1576469333751.jpeg  
Attached Images

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #3 of 39 Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Get some pictures up of the rust and underside. Also pictures of the axles and drive shaft from the side so we can look at driveshaft angles.

You paid $500 more than I bought mine for but started with non stock and a 4.0. Not a bad deal. I would expect any Jeep for less than 5k to require some labor. I think 1-2k in parts and about 5-6 weekends should solve most of your problems. Depending on what you want to go with/upgrade.

My Jeep's previous owner, had good record keeping so I went through the records and he did major stuff but not much minor things, but the gear oil and plugs, and rotor were changed within a year of when i bought it. First thing I did with my Jeep, was change the fuel filter and paint the underside which was just starting to get superficial rust in a few spots. Though my Jeep was a socal jeep. For me light sanding and 2 quarts of SATIN BLACK CHASSIS SAVER QTS. (MPC-UCP970-04) was enough for 2 thick coats of paint over the frame, underside and even the track bars.

Then i continued to fix things, like the turn signal switch, replace the see through seats, paint seat hardware, body lift, new tires, new bumpers, new suspension (get power tools or borrow some for this), new roll bar pads, new brake lines for some parts, open the half doors to clean, lube, and replace broken parts so the locks on the door and tailgate would work, wire in the radio and undo his old jumbled wiring. Added headlight upgrade for less voltage drop, wiring harnesses for my LED lights, custom interior lighting, wiring custom switches (wish i bought a premade one, it took forever), and now fixing my non functional blower motor due to wiring somewhere not giving it volts. I'm probably leaving stuff out too.

And I did drive it a bit too.

But yeah they are work, do the work when you have time, and what is needed. Maybe teach your daughters some automotive skills and bond too.

post #4 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 02:58 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's got Sahara seats. If they don't have rips, they can fund some of the repairs.
Be easy on the throttle until you address the axle wrap. You can easily bend the springs which can cause damage to the TC.

This seems typical. Jeeps sometimes attract automotive butchers. People who have no business turning a wrench.

Your Jeep will be fine.
The axles:
I found a matching set of 4:10 axles for 250 bucks. Swapped both one Saturday. Or you can find a 4:10 D30 and get a rear Ford 8.8 4:10 axle for the rear, that takes care of that. The D35 is weak anyway. No great loss.

Clunking.
Body mounts, motor mounts, loose exhaust. It's one of those. Or all of them. Either way, none are a big deal.
The cat converter sits kind of close to the transmission skid plate from the factory. Any extra slop and it's gonna clunk. If that's what the clunk is. That's what I think it is without being able to crawl under your Jeep and look for myself.
Maybe it's the torque stud mount?

The rust I can't help you with. I don't live where things rust.

Don't get overwhelmed. It sounds like the Jeep is pretty good overall. Make a prioritized list and address the issues one at a time.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #5 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice platform.

I agree with what has already been said. Don't sweat the rust.

Shoe us some pictures and tap around suspect areas with a hammer and if it doesn't break through, look for sound density incongruencies.

You'll know what I mean when you start doing it. Wouldnt take more than one full dedicated Saturday to flap disc what you can and coat it up with good stuff like Chassis Saver as xpage stated above.

I also fully agree with Chris on the axles. But, you said the rear end and front end do not match gear wise? How were you able to put in 4wd and 2wd? I take it you didn't push down on the skinny pedal or release the brake?

Regardless, u can find a suitable d30 eith 4.10s for fairly cheap if you look in the right spots.... and I second the ford 8.8 idea. Since it is not your primary vehicle and can sit on Jack stands while you address everything... you can have a fairly reliable and GREAT ice cream prowler by early Spring (and that's taking your time). As for axle wrap.... you probably should address the bushings and new springs in the rear, if it's SUA (spring under axle), it shouldnt be as bad as you have observed. Unless I read something wrong there... maybe make sure the ubolt plates are torqued properly?

Looking forward to seeing how you address it all.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 AM
artallison
1974 CJ6 

Agree you have a good start. Axles are your decision but I'd drop to a 33 and find some stock 4:10's unless you want to spend the money for the bigger and regear. Stay with the 35's if you want to stay on light trails and don't get too much on the throttle. But a direct swap would be inexpensive. I believe the 4 cyl yj's had them. And they would be a straight bolt in.

Another reason I'd go with 33's is you could go back to all spring under. Easier and they way the designed it. You would need to buy 4" or so lift springs. Not that much and easy to change.

Drive it and enjoy it while you fix it.

And yep, those seats are gold. Mine are not in as good shape. I'll be recovering them soon.
post #7 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Clint S

Well appreciate the uplifting.. the girls are usually out there with me (I love it) they’re 3.5 and 1.5 years old. I live in central Florida and most of my wheeling is sugar sand, sand bottom water and swamp mud with the occasional peanut butter style mud. No rock climbing or crazy hill climbing (I wish I could). I took some more pictures. Also found out my slip yoke has some wiggle to it (Side/side - up/down). Hoping it’s not the trans case and just a worn out slip yoke. I’ll have to figure out the best fix for that, I’m assuming an SYE?
I locked it 4wd but not for long and a little off idle so nothing crazy. I felt how it was fighting itself. I was on a dirt road nothing was straining too too hard. The axle definitely has a lot of wrap too it. The springs appear to be newer. So have to figure best option beside blowing a ton on trac bars.
I have a 3:73 ring and pinion coming with a new seal and a spartan locker to replace the worn out spider gears/pin (they had some slop too. The gears are coming from my neighbor who owns a parts store so got them decently cheap. I’ll continue to look for a set of axles in the mean time and rock these for as long as I can.

I took some more pictures and noticed a spot of rust I didn’t before and it’s where the right rear shackle is. That worries me. So here they are.

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #8 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Clint S

The rust on the gas tank skid I’m not worried about that’s easy. It’s by the shackle that bothers me now.
Attached Thumbnails
C8E75842-78BB-46FB-B92A-9C5D538CBB2F_1576517305236.jpg   E2399E4B-DBE6-4115-8806-BC5DDD478660_1576517342030.jpg   28C58FEA-CD3A-4F66-95ED-0DFC76A8C17E_1576517379311.jpg   99B8E2DA-E9D7-4F53-9177-8C33FD662600_1576517470793.jpg   0FDF749F-B572-47C4-B8E4-FE54A737EB07_1576517504606.jpg  

6A693E95-F896-405F-A219-8A31314503A0_1576517550355.jpg  

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #9 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Clint S

Also to add, the bushings in the shackles are definitely dry rotted as well. But never saw them move/shift when we heard the clunk sound. It seemed to be at the rear or under the driver seat.

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #10 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:39 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Change out your body mounts. They are due any how.... I'd look into an SYE. But first things first.... hit that shackle area with a wire wheel or flap disc... whatever your preference and see what you're working with.

If that's rotted, and it's the only spot thats rotted.... you're not in bad shape. There are sections that can be welded in there...pre cut and shippable to you for not that much.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:41 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S View Post
Also to add, the bushings in the shackles are definitely dry rotted as well. But never saw them move/shift when we heard the clunk sound. It seemed to be at the rear or under the driver seat.
Torque arm bolt for transmission.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look on the bright side here. Mechanically sound jeep. Good foundation.

Plus? Easy fixes for your issues. She just needs a little love and freshening up (bushings and body mounts and maybe new springs in the rear).

Surely you didnt expect an old jeep for 4K that runs perfectly and didnt need any immediate love did you? Lol

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Clint S

Oh no I definitely didn’t expect a street princess, I knew it needed love. I just worry about that rust by the shackles. Then of course want it to be somewhat reliable driving and The axle wrap is the biggest concern since that movement can cause a lot of problems. Same with the trans case/slip yoke. So I’m working on it the best I can.
What kind of springs would you suggest? A certain stiffness or type that has a add a leaf or something to help prevent from torquing?

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #14 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Clint S

Also aren’t the body mounts a pain in the rear?

95 YJ Sahara 4.0 5 speed
SOA lift on 35s
post #15 of 39 Old 12-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The previous owner (aka PO) took every shortcut in the book as they often do.

The slip yoke is not seated very far into the rear of the transfer case. Mine is about 3/4's of an inch (sticking out)
The trasnfer case (TC) has a bushing in it. If you can move it at all, it's worn. So I'm sure you have some vibrations while driving that come and go depending on speed/load.

It's a (insert swear word here) to get the bushing out without damaging the tail section. I ordered a new tail section and bushing.
I put the TC tail into the oven and the bushing in the freezer. Slid right in there. The TC leak will go away with a new bushing.
You didn't mention a leak there. Either it is leaking or it's going to leak. When there is play, there's a leak.

You didn't say what trans you have. Stay out of the swamps until you make sure all the vent hoses for the axles, trans, ect are proper and mounted up high in the firewall. Unless you want swamp water mixed with the oil.
I would also address the stock air cleaner intake. It is behind the drivers headlight and can ingest water when a wave goes down the hood. (mud and water ruin bushings, bearings, wiring ect.) I'll go around water deeper than a few inches!
Be prepared for increased maintenance and repairs. Besides being required for life, water is a powerful solvent. It really is.

Where did the seats come from? You could get brand new seats that match for what those are worth. Those belong in a Sahara.
I'm curious it you have a Sahara that some bonehead repainted. The interior color is wrong but the carpet looks right.

I'm also afraid to ask about the steering. I can only imagine the angle of the drag link! The bump steer.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in