Power steering removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Bloomie2503
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Power steering removal

Ok, so I have an issue. I have a 95 YJ with a 2.5L and I am not able to adjust the tension on my belt due to a messed up power steering pump bracket. I can not find this bracket anywhere so I have decided to just run the Jeep with no power steering. Once I remove the power steering, how do I put tension on the belt since the stock version has the tension at the power steering pump?

Any insight would be helpful! Looking at tackling this task tomorrow!!

Thanks,
Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong, but you use he altenator for tensioning. If that is correct, you'll need a different altenator bracket, so basically, you would be back to square 1.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
ads
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Adjust bracket - Power steering 1991-95 - Power steering 1991-95
91-95 $9.70 $6.6

Looks like the bracket you need. just search bracket on dontfearthejeeper.com - looks easier / a better alternative to removing the power steering completely. Especially for the sake of $6

Unfortunately their site sucks in that it doesnt give you a part number to find it easily, but 1 minute of searching and I found it

oh - they do have a nice little diagram showing how it all fits together, so you can make sure its the right part too

1995 YJ - mostly stock at current. 31" Procomp AT, rebuilt stock springs with added leaf (2.5" lift), OME shocks & stabiliser, 20gal tank mod, air box de-restricted, afe wet filter, soundbar, new distributor/rotor & stuff, TBS.

Last edited by ads; 10-07-2011 at 02:48 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
superj

and usually, if your vehicle came from the factory with power steering, its on the inspectors listing for the safety inspection.

wait a minute, your in alabama so you guys don;t have safety inspections, right? do they require ya'll to have insurance yet? when i was stationed at fort benning in the 90s, insurance wasn;t mandatory in alabama (and you could tell by all the messed up wrecked junk driving on the highways)

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you just remove the power steering pump, and keep the steering box, it will be hell to drive. To me, removing power steering is a huge backwards. After having a YJ with manual steering, then wheeling it on 33's I would never do it again. Fix it. dont hack it up.

Also, the late 91-95 YJ belt tension is set by the power steering pump. The older YJs are set with the alternator. Two different set ups that were part of the changes when they went to the 4.0L HO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Bloomie2503
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks guys, the bracket is the right one and is now ordered!! I didnt want to hack it up but thought I had no options left since I couldnt find the part. Now hopefully it comes in soon so I can get her back to 100%!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
superj

Sweet! You guys got some beautiful land hidden in your state so it will be nice easy steering while you are out

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 AM
ads
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No worries - shipping to here is a pain and there are next to no good distributors out here for jeep parts - but there are so many many things I want for my YJ.
I spend a good proportion of my time working from home doing online 'window shopping' - does help when you need to find stuff

1995 YJ - mostly stock at current. 31" Procomp AT, rebuilt stock springs with added leaf (2.5" lift), OME shocks & stabiliser, 20gal tank mod, air box de-restricted, afe wet filter, soundbar, new distributor/rotor & stuff, TBS.

Tags
help needed , modification , power steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in