Power Brake Booster Issues? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Waternut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Boland398
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Power Brake Booster Issues?

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my 1991 YJ. Was driving as normal and it appears as if my left rear brake shoe is locked up. Likewise I am also losing braking power (have to pump the brakes once or twice to build up pressure to break). Any ideas what is causing this? Is it my Power Brake Booster?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check ALL your brakes at the tires and make sure they are functioning properly. Brakes lose stopping power when they get hot and can make it feel like they arent working right. Check and repair them first then reavaluate if there is still a problem.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Most of your pedal adjustment comes from the rear so pumping it with the rear shoe extended makes sense. The first thing I would do is look at the brake shoe. There has to be a reason its stuck. Check all you springs and the wheel cylinder. The most common issue is the stuck ebrake cable hold the shoe in.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:

post #4 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is your wheel cylinder on the left is leaking. Pull the drums and verify. Everything should be dry in there. Check your fluid in the master cylinder while you're at it because running out of brakes is never fun.

Typically brake booster failure is a ruptured diaphragm which will sound like a hiss under braking and you may even notice poor idle under braking since that hiss is a vacuum leak.
Boojo35 and Brad Perryman like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in