Potential New YJ Owner, Help - JeepForum.com
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Potential New YJ Owner, Help

Hello All,

Im looking to buy a wrangler for recreation off-roading and hunting (side by sides are too damn expensive). After looking for approx a week and I just stumbled upon a 95 2.5L in great condition! It has zero rust and some minor body damaged from rock chips on the freeway (was told the jeep was never offroaded). Was kept inside and the paint condition is very good for a 1995 (I had a red 99 yota that looked like a burnt orange color because it was kept outside). This YJ actually looks red.

BUT.... the YJ has 192,000 miles and motor, trans, clutch has not been rebuild. When I asked, the owner said when things are taken care you don't have to rebuild them. Makes sense but I'm still a little skeptical... thats a lot of miles

When I drove it on the freeway at approx 70 mph for 3 miles, there was no death wobble and steering was fairly tight (not compared to my 2017 silverado with a 6" and 35"s lol, but its not a new car lol). Owner said 3 hours freeway trips are no problems.

It also leaks a little oil from the main oil seal and the valve cover, owner said it is minimal enough that he rarely adds oil between oil changes.

My plan is to drive a jeep anywhere from 30-200 miles on freeway/highways to get to offload places (like moab, but only wheel the easy stuff) and go offloading. I don't want to have to trailer the jeep to places just to offroad it. Any further than 200 and I would trailer it with a rental trailer.


****EDIT*** Price is $4300

Long story short, whats your guys thoughts on the miles and original equipment?


Last edited by bowhunter11199; 06-03-2018 at 07:44 PM.
bowhunter11199 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM
fishadventure
Registered User
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 6,607
Garage
Buy it if you are happy with the price. 200k miles is fine!

I have almost 300k miles on my 89 2.5 5-speed wrangler. It had to go out of service from rust, not mechanical failure. I bought it sad and neglected with I think 180k miles - don't remember. I've towed a small utility trailer to Washington, D.C. area 3 times (650+ miles one way), twice to Virginia 850 miles one way, and it's been around and over a lot of New England and several times across upstate NY.

Who cares if the motor actually dies in the next year? You've found a nicely maintained solid vehicle that's never been abused. Replace stuff as it needs it and treat it right and you'll get another 200K out of it.

Even if someone gave me a blank check to go buy a new vehicle I'd rather have a YJ or possibly a CJ over a cush-modern rig anyway.

Your concern at the mileage isn't warranted. These things run a long, long time, and it will continue as long as you keep it serviced and cared for. And when stuff does come up, you're in the bright place to get help, but until it does, it's a fun little community here.

Buy it, post pictures, have your cake and eat it too.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Buy it if you are happy with the price. 200k miles is fine!

I have almost 300k miles on my 89 2.5 5-speed wrangler. It had to go out of service from rust, not mechanical failure. I bought it sad and neglected with I think 180k miles - don't remember. I've towed a small utility trailer to Washington, D.C. area 3 times (650+ miles one way), twice to Virginia 850 miles one way, and it's been around and over a lot of New England and several times across upstate NY.

Who cares if the motor actually dies in the next year? You've found a nicely maintained solid vehicle that's never been abused. Replace stuff as it needs it and treat it right and you'll get another 200K out of it.

Even if someone gave me a blank check to go buy a new vehicle I'd rather have a YJ or possibly a CJ over a cush-modern rig anyway.

Your concern at the mileage isn't warranted. These things run a long, long time, and it will continue as long as you keep it serviced and cared for. And when stuff does come up, you're in the bright place to get help, but until it does, it's a fun little community here.

Buy it, post pictures, have your cake and eat it too.


Thanks for the info! I forgot to add that it is $4300. Very reasonable compared to others in the area, Utah is an expensive place to buy a wrangler.


On a side note, would you prefer a YJ or CJ? Both seem to be in my price range but this YJ is a good deal in my mind
bowhunter11199 is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 PM
fishadventure
Registered User
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 6,607
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199
Thanks for the info! I forgot to add that it is $4300. Very reasonable compared to others in the area, Utah is an expensive place to buy a wrangler. On a side note, would you prefer a YJ or CJ? Both seem to be in my price range but this YJ is a good deal in my mind
You should listen to @Chrisnvegas extol YJ values. The price isn't awful bad IMHO.

I prefer the CJ nose / front clip. On a YJ.

I'd rather have the YJ for LOTS of reasons.
- stronger frame
- wider frame
- better track width suspension management
- less leaks
- more parts availability without a premium price
- etc

YJs have all that austere banal beauty of the CJ but with engineering improvements so you don't have to live with every CJ issue they have.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
You should listen to @Chrisnvegas extol YJ values. The price isn't awful bad IMHO.

I prefer the CJ nose / front clip. On a YJ.

I'd rather have the YJ for LOTS of reasons.
- stronger frame
- wider frame
- better track width suspension management
- less leaks
- more parts availability without a premium price
- etc

YJs have all that austere banal beauty of the CJ but with engineering improvements so you don't have to live with every CJ issue they have.


Thanks for the info, in your opinion would a good price be sub 4K on good condition TJs?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter11199 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Had another follow up question, while I can work on cars (have lifted trucks, brakes, radiators, and cv axle replacements) I typically shy away from trans, clutch and deep motor work (rebuild).

How much should I expect to pay for:
1) motor rebuild
2) trans/clutch rebuild


Thanks again guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter11199 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
Very reasonable compared to others in the area, Utah is an expensive place to buy a wrangler.
It's called the MoabProx Tax

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 06:42 AM
fishadventure
Registered User
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 6,607
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199
Thanks for the info, in your opinion would a good price be sub 4K on good condition TJs? Sent from my iPhone using iCrap&talk
I think you'll get like $130 for a TJ if you drop it off at a junkyard yourself.

Why would you ask that?!

About the time your eye peruses the ugly lights in the front flares of a TJ you should be aware you should've already walked away at the terrible looking hood and grille. It's just plain butt ugly. Jeep didn't need a restyle.

On the other hand, I think TJ 1/2 doors fit a YJ, and the front stub axles, transfer cases, and transmission can fit a YJ.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199
while I can shy away from trans, clutch and deep motor work (rebuild). How much should I expect to pay for: 1) motor rebuild 2) trans/clutch rebuild Thanks again guys! Sent from my iPhone using iCrap&talk
You are overthinking this, and you can find this info on Amazon or rockauto

But seriously- you are about to buy a perfectly running YJ- what on earth are you talking about a rebuilt motor for? These things go 300,000 miles. And then you mention TJ. Are you seriously trying to buy something or just having some spaced out wet dream?
Chrisnvegas and bruinjeeper like this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I think you'll get like $130 for a TJ if you drop it off at a junkyard yourself.

Why would you ask that?!

About the time your eye peruses the ugly lights in the front flares of a TJ you should be aware you should've already walked away at the terrible looking hood and grille. It's just plain butt ugly. Jeep didn't need a restyle.

On the other hand, I think TJ 1/2 doors fit a YJ, and the front stub axles, transfer cases, and transmission can fit a YJ.....



You are overthinking this, and you can find this info on Amazon or rockauto

But seriously- you are about to buy a perfectly running YJ- what on earth are you talking about a rebuilt motor for? These things go 300,000 miles. And then you mention TJ. Are you seriously trying to buy something or just having some spaced out wet dream?


Hahah yes I’m seriously buying, just have a ton of ideas and am trying to ensure I purchase the correct Jeep


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter11199 is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 PM
fishadventure
Registered User
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 6,607
Garage
New YJ Owner, celebrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
yes I’m seriously buying, just have a ton of ideas and am trying to ensure I purchase the correct talk
From what you said you found one of those unadulterated perfect and running Jeeps, you can’t get more correct than that. And the price was good.

I hope you bought it already. We want the pics

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Talked him down to $3900 and should be picking it up this evening


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhunter11199 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Chrisnvegas
Registered User
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada Territory
Posts: 8,263
Ok...
Listen to the engine. These ancient Jeep engines are wonderfully sloppy and can be a bit noisy and still run well over 300,000 miles.
(The new V-6's will not see such longevity)

The 2.5 is a variant of the 4.0 which is a variant of the 4.2 which started life in a Rambler many decades ago.
It was also used under the hoods of some International Harvester vehicles and even some farm equipment.

The YJ is just an improved CJ without the complexity of the following generations. Jeeps should NOT have a "sport mode" a Jeep is always in sport mode. Sport mode didn't win WWII. Simplicity, light weight and guts won WWII.
And so the Jeep evolved.

The YJ improved ergonomics, performance and a much better heater without taking away the simple yet effective suspension and drivetrain.
The troublesome manual hubs were updated to a RELIABLE vacuum disconnect in the axle.
MY CJ7 front axle was never as good as the YJ. I went through a couple sets of front hubs.

The YJ is the perfect base to construct a personalized on and off road machine.
The original and still the best side by side.

A new RZR or Mavrick will be recycled into beer cans and plastic drinking bottles and our Jeeps will still be prowling the trails.

10,000 miles is almost unheard of in the SXS world and to a Jeep, it's just a few oil changes.

My Jeep has towed many a broken SXS back to camp and if it's chilly windy or rainy, I always gain SXS passengers who bail.
They are surprised how nice my Jeep rides and how comfy and secure it feels.

Trailer rental is unnecessary because Jeep engineers knew people liked to tow them behind RV's.
So they made sure the transfer case was compatible and lubricated when the rear shaft turned.

it's simple:

hook up
Key to unlock position
trans in Park or 1st
Check that steering is unlocked
enjoy...

Here is my Jeep ready for a road trip behind my F350



It's nice saving the extra weight of a trailer sometimes.

My Jeep will be going on a multi thousands of miles trip around the west this summer. Nice to hit the trails and be able to take it around a scenic National Park. Try that in a SXS.
bruinjeeper and fishadventure like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
Chrisnvegas is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
bowhunter11199
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heber City
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Ok...
Listen to the engine. These ancient Jeep engines are wonderfully sloppy and can be a bit noisy and still run well over 300,000 miles.
(The new V-6's will not see such longevity)

The 2.5 is a variant of the 4.0 which is a variant of the 4.2 which started life in a Rambler many decades ago.
It was also used under the hoods of some International Harvester vehicles and even some farm equipment.

The YJ is just an improved CJ without the complexity of the following generations. Jeeps should NOT have a "sport mode" a Jeep is always in sport mode. Sport mode didn't win WWII. Simplicity, light weight and guts won WWII.
And so the Jeep evolved.

The YJ improved ergonomics, performance and a much better heater without taking away the simple yet effective suspension and drivetrain.
The troublesome manual hubs were updated to a RELIABLE vacuum disconnect in the axle.
MY CJ7 front axle was never as good as the YJ. I went through a couple sets of front hubs.

The YJ is the perfect base to construct a personalized on and off road machine.
The original and still the best side by side.

A new RZR or Mavrick will be recycled into beer cans and plastic drinking bottles and our Jeeps will still be prowling the trails.

10,000 miles is almost unheard of in the SXS world and to a Jeep, it's just a few oil changes.

My Jeep has towed many a broken SXS back to camp and if it's chilly windy or rainy, I always gain SXS passengers who bail.
They are surprised how nice my Jeep rides and how comfy and secure it feels.

Trailer rental is unnecessary because Jeep engineers knew people liked to tow them behind RV's.
So they made sure the transfer case was compatible and lubricated when the rear shaft turned.

it's simple:

hook up
Key to unlock position
trans in Park or 1st
Check that steering is unlocked
enjoy...

Here is my Jeep ready for a road trip behind my F350



It's nice saving the extra weight of a trailer sometimes.

My Jeep will be going on a multi thousands of miles trip around the west this summer. Nice to hit the trails and be able to take it around a scenic National Park. Try that in a SXS.


Thank you for the detailed response! It makes me excited to own a yj!

Only one question, I’m curious why you leave the trans in Park or first? Wouldn’t you want it to be in Neutral with the 4x4 disengaged? Sorry if that’s a total noob question lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishadventure likes this.
bowhunter11199 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Chrisnvegas
Registered User
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada Territory
Posts: 8,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! It makes me excited to own a yj!

Only one question, I’m curious why you leave the trans in Park or first? Wouldn’t you want it to be in Neutral with the 4x4 disengaged? Sorry if that’s a total noob question lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, we don't want the trans to turn.
The trans isn't lubricated unless the engine is turning.

The tranfer case is lubed by the rear.

So
Trans in park or 1st (manual)
Tranfer case in neutral.
Steering unlocked.

They tow really good. The tires turn when the truck turns and straighten when needed.

And for towing lights I installed an extra 1157 socket in the regular Jeep taillights.
I wired the extra socket up separate from the jeep so I didn't have to butcher the Jeep wire harness.
The plug is hidden in the grill.

So when the jeep is plugged in, the Jeep tailights light up and blink like normal without affecting the regular Jeep harness.

I wired it with a trailer wire kit and ran the wires alongside the Jeep wiring to the rear and drilled an extra hole in the back of the tail lights for the extra wires. I sealed the hole with RTV.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
Chrisnvegas is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance
 
DirtKar's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal Sierras
Posts: 4,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post

I prefer the CJ nose / front clip. On a YJ.

I'd rather have the YJ for LOTS of reasons.
This. But then, I’m a bit biased. Let’s see some pics when you get her home.
Attached Thumbnails
BA434F31-314B-4859-98A3-40111C9D5717.jpg  
bruinjeeper likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome