Possible YJ Purchase - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Possible YJ Purchase

I thought I would post this in the YJ section.

Looking at possibly buying my first jeep. I have plenty of offroad experience in the desert, but not much on the 4X4 side.
I'm looking at buying a jeep for a tow behind and also to be able to do some exploring and jeepy stuff which I don't typically do. I looked at the jeep in person and it is definitely very very clean and nicely done. I can't seem to post a link or photos as I'm a new member, but here is a list of whats been done to the jeep.

5.3L Vortec, AC by Jeep Air, AX 15 5speed w/10.5" clutch and novak adapter, NP231 TC, Tom Woods drive shafts and slip yoke eliminator, Old Man EMU springs w/ spring over conversion, 4 wheel disc brakes, 8.8 explorer with track lock and 4.56 gears, front axle has ten factory chromoly axles and power grip locker, high steer, anti wrap rear bar, custom bumpers, with winch, family style cage, TJ fender conversion, fab tech body armor, 35" toyo's, new base coat clear coat sprayed over a rust free AZ body, paint matched half doors, XRC seats, new windshield with glue in conversion, all new door and window seals etc......

Owner is asking $11K, but is a little negotiable. What do you all think.

If you search for 1987 YJ in the Los Angeles Craigslist you should be able to find it, it's bright yellow.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a very clean and properly setup Jeep. Probably wouldnt even have to do anything to it unless you wanted to add your cosmetic touch.

Unsure of how pricing works down there.... someone will chime in with experiencd. Lots of SouthWest and Cali guys in particular.

Welcome to the sickness!

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 12:23 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
To me being from the SouthEast $11k seems high. I feel like they are trying to recoop everything they have put into the Jeep. It looks great though. I would be sure to check everything on it. Was the 5.3 swap done by a shop or by the individual? How does it ride? Lots of things that have to looked at. I know i wouldnt want to put that much into a jeep and then sale it. Im sure everyone has their reasons but i couldnt see myself letting go of a build that looks that good. Also with you looking in the LA Classifieds does that mean you are from Cali? Will the jeep meet smog requirements for that state? Just do your research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep. Not sure on the price, no help there.
Something to consider though.
With the front auto locker and you using it to tow behind. You are going to have to either drop the front drive shaft or put a true neutral plate in the transfer case.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Great looking Jeep. Not sure on the price, no help there.
Something to consider though.
With the front auto locker and you using it to tow behind. You are going to have to either drop the front drive shaft or put a true neutral plate in the transfer case.
Thank you, that was one of the things I was curious about, I've only flat towed an old VW, or I pull trailers. I know a drive shaft is easy to pull, but I'd rather be able to just get in and go.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
To me being from the SouthEast $11k seems high. I feel like they are trying to recoop everything they have put into the Jeep. It looks great though. I would be sure to check everything on it. Was the 5.3 swap done by a shop or by the individual? How does it ride? Lots of things that have to looked at. I know i wouldnt want to put that much into a jeep and then sale it. Im sure everyone has their reasons but i couldnt see myself letting go of a build that looks that good. Also with you looking in the LA Classifieds does that mean you are from Cali? Will the jeep meet smog requirements for that state? Just do your research.

No, it will not pass smog in California, but I will be registering it in AZ, where it is currently registered. I have a place there, and it will spend most of its time in AZ.

The motor swap was done at a shop, and he said most of the work was also, I don't remember who, because it didn't mean much to me, he told me like I should have know who it was.

The owner is selling because he has bad knees and has trouble getting into it, he has a JKU and a SXS, so it just sits at his shop, at least that's his story. The price doesn't bother me too much, when I look at stock YJ's here in the LA areas, they are bone stock from around $4K-$7K, and I know if I build myself, I will have more that what he asking for the jeep.

FWIW, we have negotiated down from the $11K
post #7 of 25 Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

justmake sure the parts on it are what he says they are.

I can tell you off the bat it's a crossover steering setup and not a "histeer". Little things like this.

Im not saying that doesn't make the jeep worth that price - i dont know what they should go for in that location. It does sound well-built and some good options have been included in the build in terms of manufacturers.

If its a well thought-out build, and you say the money is not an issue for you and you already have a plan for it... it sounds like you already bought it lol. What exactly you looking for from us?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
justmake sure the parts on it are what he says they are.

I can tell you off the bat it's a crossover steering setup and not a "histeer". Little things like this.

Im not saying that doesn't make the jeep worth that price - i dont know what they should go for in that location. It does sound well-built and some good options have been included in the build in terms of manufacturers.

If its a well thought-out build, and you say the money is not an issue for you and you already have a plan for it... it sounds like you already bought it lol. What exactly you looking for from us?

LOL, No, I haven't bought it yet, I looked it last Friday, and we agreed on a price, but I have not had time to go back out there, money is definitely an issue, but I have built quite a few cars, and I know building yourself cost much much more than buying something built, so I know if I bought a stock jeep, and wanted to similary equip it, I'm sure it would cost me more.

The answers I've gotten about the lockers and now the hi-steer, are exactly what I'm looking for here, I don't want to just purchase it cause it's shiny and looks cool.

Anything else I should be looking for, since I'm a newby?
post #9 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Looks like I can post the ad where there are more pictures for the experts to look at.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...078710805.html
post #10 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslinger1 View Post
No, it will not pass smog in California, but I will be registering it in AZ, where it is currently registered. I have a place there, and it will spend most of its time in AZ.

The motor swap was done at a shop, and he said most of the work was also, I don't remember who, because it didn't mean much to me, he told me like I should have know who it was.

The owner is selling because he has bad knees and has trouble getting into it, he has a JKU and a SXS, so it just sits at his shop, at least that's his story. The price doesn't bother me too much, when I look at stock YJ's here in the LA areas, they are bone stock from around $4K-$7K, and I know if I build myself, I will have more that what he asking for the jeep.

FWIW, we have negotiated down from the $11K
I am glad you have negotiated down, me personally I do my best to never pay the advertised priced lol. I do understand the cost of building it yourself and you more than likely would have more into it than the 11K but it would all depend on if you are fabing things yourself and doing all the work yourself. Also i assumed it wasnt Smog compliant, CA rules are tough.

Quote:
Looks like I can post the ad where there are more pictures for the experts to look at.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...078710805.html
It looks great, the speakers in the rear are a bit odd to me and I would probably remove them. The only thing I didn't see is if he upgraded his MC for the braking system. With larger tires and disc brakes all around MC usually needs to be upgraded. That would be one thing i would make sure had been taken care of or is taken care of shortly after purchasing it.

post #11 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Proportioning valve is hard to see. But the Brake booster and Master cylinder are certainly stock

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ but... that is an upgrade that can be done by it's new owner for a fairly affordable cost (if work is done with the owners hands that is)

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

Quote:
^ but... that is an upgrade that can be done by it's new owner for a fairly affordable cost (if work is done with the owners hands that is)
All great input, and great negotiating tools, since I've been sitting on it, and so has he, plan on trying to lower the price a little more.

For the MC upgrade, that is something that I am more than capable of doing. What do people do on these typically? A MC and or MC and booster from a different model jeep?

Sounds like I'd have to change out the front locker as well since it wouldn't be ideal for flat towing, and while I could drop the drive shaft fairly easy, I really wouldn't want to do that all the time.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 09:03 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
All great input, and great negotiating tools, since I've been sitting on it, and so has he, plan on trying to lower the price a little more.

For the MC upgrade, that is something that I am more than capable of doing. What do people do on these typically? A MC and or MC and booster from a different model jeep?

Sounds like I'd have to change out the front locker as well since it wouldn't be ideal for flat towing, and while I could drop the drive shaft fairly easy, I really wouldn't want to do that all the time.
You can go aftermarket... or you can simply grab the dual diaphragm Brake Booster and MC combo from any 4.0 1995 YJ and any TJ.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #15 of 25 Old 02-26-2020, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
dirtslinger1

[It looks great, the speakers in the rear are a bit odd to me and I would probably remove them. The only thing I didn't see is if he upgraded his MC for the braking system. With larger tires and disc brakes all around MC usually needs to be upgraded. That would be one thing i would make sure had been taken care of or is taken care of shortly after purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the speakers in the back are dumb, but super easy to move or get rid of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in