Pinion bearing size - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

Pinion bearing size

Ok guys (or gals, whatev you identify as…lol). I picked up my third YJ (1991, 4.0, 5 spd, mostly stock drivetrain) a couple months ago, and most of the heavy lifting had already been done…lift, tires, 4.10 rear diff swap, SYE, Trac-Bar lift welded on, etc….she also came with a ring and pinion and carrier for a 4.10 front diff swap. Right now, there’s no ring gear/driveshaft in it, so no worries about mismatched axles. It has the stock HP Dana 30.

We went to install the front swap this weekend, and discovered the outer pinion bearing ID is just a couple hundredths larger than the stock bearing. I think it may have come from a 2.5L originally. Unfortunately, the previous owner didn’t have any documentation for any mods or extra parts.

Has anyone come across this, and if so, what bearing did you use to finish the swap? I know the carriers are different going from stock to a larger ring gear…but I thought the pinion bearings were the same.

Of course, I could just buy an install kit, but with my luck, they’d send the same bearing that I already have, and I’m not one to just throw $$$ at a problem. Any ideas would be definitely appreciated….

Edit: I have searched multiple forums, checked with Dr Google many times, and asked local guys about it, with no concrete answers….I usually don’t ask many questions, since most everything is already answered here….but….I can’t find anything. If there’s a post already written up on it, feel free to point me the way…

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have never known them to be different sizes between the high pinion D30's. I have done 3 of them and just used master install kits from Yukon and Standard gear. I have never had issues. Maybe you got the odd one that was a mistake. You can get just the bearing you need on amazon pretty cheap
post #3 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 05:29 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Couple hundredths? Or couple thou?

If it were me I’d probably buy one on amazonian or at napa and measure it. And /Or look up the oem part # and find its spec and compare

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 10:48 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes. A couple of hundredths is almost 1/4". If only a couple of thousands like fish mentioned, are you measuring with a caliper? They are pretty accurate in the right hands with the right caliper. But when I worked in a machine shop we called them very near calipers instead of Vernier calipers. It is is within 2 thou you probably really have the correct bearing already.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

I’ll get the measurements later today,but I’m pretty sure the race on the pinion shaft was about 2 hundredths larger. If I can’t get anything solid to make sense, I’ll probably just order the complete ring and pinion set, and scrap using the provided parts…

I definitely know it was larger than just a “press fit”. It wouldn’t even start on it.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 11:16 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The outer bearing should be a slip fit. With a little resistance it should come off. I know with certain pinions you have to sand down the coating because its so thick. I had to do that with my Yukon set in both the 8.8 and the d30.

It sounds to me like the PO may have ordered the wrong bearing. Might be one for a JK D30 they are a little bigger
post #7 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 11:17 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good deal. If it isnt a press fit it is no bueno for sure.

Can you read the bearing numbers off the old bearings or races. Cross reference or interchange parts lists are very valuable. Parts do come boxed wrong from time to time. I run into it all to often at work. When it happens I reorder the same part from the same vendor which often times cures the problem but also order another part in another brand from anybody just in case.

post #8 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

The stock bearing is a Timken 02872. Inner ID is around 1.125, and the OD of the new (used) pinion is 1.1875. Numbers on the new pinion are “Dana 46214 FG, D1 41 10 V1L507”. I don’t have anything off the stock pinion, as it’s back in the front diff, but it’s a stock D30 axle for a 1991 4.0.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

Just an FYI, the “new” pinion, ring and carrier aren’t new. They look like they were pulled from a different axle, that’s why I was assuming (only assuming) they were from a 2.5 YJ.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 01:48 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m trying to find the cross spec for you.

That 0.020” is referred to as. “twenty thou,” “twenty thousandths,” or “oh-twenty”
JD Blaine likes this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

I think I finally hit paydirt! Looks like the pinion is out of a 2000-2001 XJ. I found the info on Tomsdifferentials.com. I’ll check with my local parts store in the morning, and see if I can get a bearing for that one. If it pans out, I’ll let ya’ll know. If it doesn’t, well…..Square 1 here I come….hahahahaaa..
post #12 of 22 Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
JD Blaine

Looks like the correct bearing for our mystery pinion is a M86649 (current stocker is M02872) available at most any parts house. I’ll swing by and grab one and let ya’ll know if it fits. Thanks guys for your assistance….I know time is precious nowadays, so any minute or second given up is difficult sometimes.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-28-2021, 05:08 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Blaine View Post
Looks like the correct bearing for our mystery pinion is a M86649 (current stocker is M02872) available at most any parts house. I’ll swing by and grab one and let ya’ll know if it fits. Thanks guys for your assistance….I know time is precious nowadays, so any minute or second given up is difficult sometimes.
Thats not the right pinion. That pinion came out of a low pinion d30 if it came out of a cherokar. You have a high pinion reverse cut d30.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-28-2021, 06:27 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Thats not the right pinion. That pinion came out of a low pinion d30 if it came out of a cherokar. You have a high pinion reverse cut d30.
That’s important to know!

Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 22 Old 07-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Uhm. I thought Cherokees as in XJ's and then YJ's all came with high pinion D30's.

Tags
bearing , dana 30 , pinion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in