Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Parents YJ build

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  StrippedTorx 
#1 ·
Figured I would make a separate post for this. To document as time goes.

1993 YJ 2.5 ax5
120,000mi

My parents have been gunning for a Jeep since driving my brothers jk a few weeks.
They were going to get a gladiator but decided on a new f250.

Then I convinced them to get a YJ.

This thing is practically bone stock. Has a 8 year old rough country 2.5 lift that isn’t doing much for it. And that’s it.

This weekend will be doing some work
Carpet delete
New u joints all around
Tune up
Tossing track and sway bars
Exhaust work.
And new timing chain.

Long term plan is a close to stock Sunday ice cream cone getter and summer weekend warrior.

I have years of spare parts to donate to the cause so we will see where she ends up.

I will post some more pictures later this evening.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Also has new body mounts
A badly done transfer case drop for no reason.
And passenger motor mount is shot, driver side on its way out.

Going to be doing a motor mount lift and getting rid of the tc drop.

0 lift rear booms.

Xj Dana 30 with alloy shafts.

Probably going to keep her on 29”s for now.

Like I said more pictures to come

#6 ·
Here are some pictures the way she sits.
Guy said cat is empty.
Rear u joint is one size smaller so he tacked it in and cranked the straps down. We got home last night on God’s good grace. Not to bad for 2700$ I’m a bit jealous.

Attachments

#7 ·
Did some quick maintenance items last nigh oil, coolant etc.. Then threw in new drive shaft u joints all the way around. PO couldn’t find the right size so he tackled them all in. As soon as I had the shaft in my hand all the caps fell out like they’ve been soaking in butter the last 30 years.

Crazy thing I didn’t notice though.
Some rocket scientist decided to weld 1/4” plate in a loop 5/6” high off the axle as bump stops. I have no idea if they were bought like that or custom but they have got to go. I think the track bars and not being driven hard are the only things that have saved the frame thus far from having 4 gigantic holes in it. Pics to come. This weekend will be adding power steering and some other goodies

#10 ·
Hahahaha my parents hate them Baja lights.
They want leds.

Might just go led headlights to save the poor thing from having light bars and pods all over it.

Worked on it a little tonight.
Ditched the trackbars and sway bars.
They’re going for a drive tomorrow so we will see what the verdicts on it are.

#17 ·
I don’t mind them. They look good on this.
Yesterday they took it off road for the first time on some easy trails through some fields, swamp and up and down the dike.

They come back and first thing they say is “we need a winch” couldn’t help but laugh.

Think I’ve convinced them traction aids before vanity items.

Who knows they might catch the bug and want tons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.