Overheating and Running Out of Ideas - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2021, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
kevrags
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Overheating and Running Out of Ideas

Hey Everyone,

I have a YJ with a 350 Chevy. Engine is the bog standard crate engine 12681429 with an Edelbrock EPS intake and AVS2 carb. New Delco waterpump. New 3-core Champion conversion radiator, with electric fan and shroud. All new hoses and heater core. 180 thermostat. External trans cooler for 700R4 trans. New coolant, and burped with one of those non-spill funnels.

Sitting in the driveway, it'll idle along at 180 seemingly forever. When I take it for a drive, it starts climbing, stay at 210 for a little bit, then keep going, until it's past the midway between 210 and 250 (New Autometer gauge and sending unit). After that I take it home and park it because I don't want to get potentially stranded somewhere, so I don't know if it will keep going or not, but don't see why it wouldn't. These are short drives - less than 10 miles, normal street driving/speeds. Considering all the parts are new, I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. The fan was rated at 1600 cfm, and some webpages I went to said I would need 2800+. So I ordered a 3000cfm fan and put it on yesterday, with the same result. Now, it wasn't the most expensive of fans and looked pretty much identical to the one I had, so maybe it's not actually putting out that much air, but not sure. I set the timing to the crate motor specs, and the carb has stock jetting, which should be a bit richer given my altitude. Using recommended spark plugs. Is it possible that lean air/fuel or retarded timing could cause what's going on? I do have a wideband A/F meter that I'll use in the next few days.

I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated - it's not even hot here yet - so any help here is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Too much timing, or a lean condition will certainly cause a higher operating temperature. But, verify the basics first; put that thermostat in a pot of water and bring the temp up and make sure it fully opens at 180. I have found quite a few to be bad right out of the box.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2021, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
kevrags
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I did check it before I installed, and I think it's still working because on startup it will idle at 180 all day until I start to drive it.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-06-2021, 11:23 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any air in the system, are those engines known for having air stay stuck in places? I know air dams are important for my DD< if it isn't there to push air into the radiator it will overheat on a hot day. You sure the temp sensor is accurate, check an OBDII reader?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-07-2021, 05:21 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpage View Post
Any air in the system, are those engines known for having air stay stuck in places? I know air dams are important for my DD< if it isn't there to push air into the radiator it will overheat on a hot day. You sure the temp sensor is accurate, check an OBDII reader?
YJs are OBD1 an OBDii reader is useless on them
post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2021, 05:23 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrags View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have a YJ with a 350 Chevy. Engine is the bog standard crate engine 12681429 with an Edelbrock EPS intake and AVS2 carb. New Delco waterpump. New 3-core Champion conversion radiator, with electric fan and shroud. All new hoses and heater core. 180 thermostat. External trans cooler for 700R4 trans. New coolant, and burped with one of those non-spill funnels.

Sitting in the driveway, it'll idle along at 180 seemingly forever. When I take it for a drive, it starts climbing, stay at 210 for a little bit, then keep going, until it's past the midway between 210 and 250 (New Autometer gauge and sending unit). After that I take it home and park it because I don't want to get potentially stranded somewhere, so I don't know if it will keep going or not, but don't see why it wouldn't. These are short drives - less than 10 miles, normal street driving/speeds. Considering all the parts are new, I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. The fan was rated at 1600 cfm, and some webpages I went to said I would need 2800+. So I ordered a 3000cfm fan and put it on yesterday, with the same result. Now, it wasn't the most expensive of fans and looked pretty much identical to the one I had, so maybe it's not actually putting out that much air, but not sure. I set the timing to the crate motor specs, and the carb has stock jetting, which should be a bit richer given my altitude. Using recommended spark plugs. Is it possible that lean air/fuel or retarded timing could cause what's going on? I do have a wideband A/F meter that I'll use in the next few days.

I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated - it's not even hot here yet - so any help here is greatly appreciated.
Check to make sure air isnt trapped and you might want to an exhaust gas test on your coolant. ANd lastly when this exact thing happened to me I had to put a pusher fan in addiition to a puller fan never had an issue after that. I am not back on the stock fan. My set up worked great until I needed to replace the temp switch and they went to hell wouldnt turn the fan on or off at the right time
post #7 of 9 Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
kevrags
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've "burped" it a couple of times with one of those spill-proof funnels, and I can't see any air bubbles coming up. I decided to order a Flex-A-Lite Flex-Wave electric fan and I'm swapping that in today. The temp sender and gauge is a new Autometer unit. The radiator came with an aluminum shroud.

Also, no computer at all on this rig.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-07-2021, 03:35 PM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a '91 Mercury that I "burped" many times and it still over heated. Finally had to rig up a garden hose to a radiator hose and ran the car with the hose cranked up for well over a half hour to "force feed" the sucker.

What's your exhaust situation?

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2021, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
kevrags
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I put on the Flex-A-Lite and did my test circuit. The temps got to 210 only as I was pulling back into the neighborhood, so it definitely does a better job than the one that came with the radiator and the one I bought off Amazon. I did notice that the idle at stoplights is rougher after it's warmed up, so I need to do some tuning I think. But I think the cooling issue is for the most part resolved.

Also, my exhaust consists of ceramic coated ram horn style manifolds from Summit. 2.5" collectors and a single exhaust out the passenger side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in