Overheated the bucket - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
95wangsport

Overheated the bucket

Hey I was going home after work and it was pretty warm out today 115+. Had the Ac going on max while I was just putting my gear away. I just got the ac up and running I was going to leave when my car overheated while I was going on the road I pulled off and the jeep just died. Little part of me did too. I’ve never had an overheating issue before ever with the jeep even for the past week of using the Ac. Could it be the 10 mins of idling with the air on put that much strain on the fan n cooling system? I hope I didn’t damage the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 05:06 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You said you never had an over heating issue with the jeep... how long have you owned it?

I ask because it reads like if you never had an overheating issue with the jeep, it goes to say you never had to change any parts associated with the cooling system and everything is old, if not original (fan clutch, thermostat, etc etc).

If your AC is putting strain on the cooling system while sitting at idle, then your cooling system is in marginal health territory and I would look into fan clutch. If it is still overheating at highway speeds with AC on.. it's a whole other can of worms and I would start by looking at the rad... but it could be other issues.

How high did the temp gauge read? The decent news is these engines are fairly tough, and have some tolerance in terms of overheating. But again, I feel your pain. It is a scary situation.

Have you re-started it since? Will it start? Analyze the rad contents, overflow contents or engine oil?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
95wangsport

Hey I’m going down to where I left it will let you know I’m pretty sure it’s the fan it seems like it was pretty weak (I could spin it by hand while it was hot at operating temp spun sorta freely)

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
95wangsport

The rad fluid needs to be changed as well my jeep just hit 100,000 miles just 2 days ago, grandparents owned it since they bought it
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 09:28 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Give us more information about the Jeep. Your username implies that you have a 4 cylinder Jeep. Is that correct?

If it is, I can see why idling at 115° ambient temperature with the A/C on max would overheat it. Especially with a busted fan clutch. Check the center of the fan clutch. If there's lots of dirt on it, or it looks oily, the clutch has failed.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Give us more information about the Jeep. Your username implies that you have a 4 cylinder Jeep. Is that correct?

If it is, I can see why idling at 115° ambient temperature with the A/C on max would overheat it. Especially with a busted fan clutch. Check the center of the fan clutch. If there's lots of dirt on it, or it looks oily, the clutch has failed.
Yep. If the bi-metal spring is covered with dirt, the clutch is cooked.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
95wangsport

Hey I had it towed. the fan seems to be the issue also a blown rad hose but no internal damage I got the 3speed Auto Inline 6
post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A failed radiator hose? You think you'da noticed that earlier.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
95wangsport

Nah buddy from it boiling over popped a crack in it
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
“Boiling over” means the motor hit ~255*F at 15psi, and then who knows how hot after boiling over.

Sounds like the hose needed replacement for a while- ‘boiling over’ didn’t “crack” the hose Hoses should withstand 40-50psi and you are only at 15 (or should be).

So basically when the $12 part exceeded its service and the system lost pressure life your already too-hot coolant went from liquid to steam immediately. You say not damage’ but you can’t see any “damage” other than the head gasket. The head gasket can remain not leaking at temperatures that damage pistons and cylinders- you’ll know in time.

I hope everything stays good and it all works out for yours.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in