Opinions on running a Truetrac? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Opinions on running a Truetrac?

I've been gathering info on lockers and LSD's, and after discussing it with a local Jeep guy I think I'm leaning toward the truetrac in the Ford 9". My intended purpose for the vehicle is mostly street driven with a 5.2 Magnum/AX15 combo. Wheeling would most likely be trails and such, never done any crawling and mudding has been the funnest so far. Clutch type has been the most recommended, but from hotrod people not jeepers. What are the pitfalls of the Truetrac?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IMO the helical-gear TrueTrac is the only Limited Slip worth the cost. The harder you use a clutch type Limited Slip, the faster the clutches wear out.

The benefits are extra traction with none of the odd behaviors automatic lockers have, and a very long service life.

The only minor "pitfalls" are they cannot provide the same traction improvement as a locker, and eventually after many, many years/miles of usage when it wears out it cannot be rebuilt at home.

One of the guys in my local Jeep Club has TrueTracs front and rear and he has no problems keeping up with the other automatic locker equipped Jeeps.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

LSDs are good in mud and gravel, loose dirt.

Not good in rocks where you have lots of traction. Anywhere you are in a high-traction area where only one wheel is able to spin, the LSD won't help you much.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

They will be infinitely better than an open diff in any offroad scenario and you likely won't even know it's there when on the road. That said, they will let definitely let you down if you start trying to do any real rock crawling. They will limit slip and help turn the other wheel but if you're bound up hard on one wheel like you typically experience when rock crawling, it might as well be an open diff.

Best advice I can give is to know your purpose now and plan for your purpose later. If you're happy doing beginner trails with smaller tires and don't plan on rolling over rocks much larger than a basketball, a limited slip will be perfect. If you start experimenting with that now and are gaining confidence, you're better off with a real locker because you'll outgrow the limited slip.
Awesome likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Waternut covered the TT pretty well. Had one but found it not applicable to the type of wheeling I do.

Are you planning on a stretch at all ?

Ask because while the Ford 9" can be made into a very robust center it has a very low pinion. This low pinion increases the hypoid angle where the much of the strength comes from. Bad thing in a short wheelbase vehicle is a driveshaft angle that is pretty severe. Tilting the pinion up also compromises the front pinion bearing from being lubed properly.

Personally I`d be a bit uncomfortable running down the highway for any length of time. That pinion bearing isn't going to be happy and trying to eliminate DS vibration might be a task.

YMMV
post #6 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 02:24 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

For a street/trail combo rig at a reasonable price, the TruTrac is unbeatable. I used them for years until I went full lockers and the guy who bought them from me is still using them. They have over 100k miles on them combined. You will be very happy with TruTracs.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #7 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Right on, sounds like they're a good choice. The local Jeep guy I mentioned has them front and rear in a V8 YJ, and he's pretty happy with them.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 04:41 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8FUN View Post
Right on, sounds like they're a good choice. The local Jeep guy I mentioned has them front and rear in a V8 YJ, and he's pretty happy with them.
Sorry going to have to get more information on this.
Is this a daily driver or a toy?
Your profile does not show where you live. Do you have snow?
Not sure of the Truetracs, are they a drop in that you do not have to set anything else up afterword?

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-03-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Sorry going to have to get more information on this.
Is this a daily driver or a toy?
Your profile does not show where you live. Do you have snow?
Not sure of the Truetracs, are they a drop in that you do not have to set anything else up afterword?
It's a toy, but I was driving it almost everyday too. Not sure what you're asking with your last question about afterward, but I'm doing a V8 swap and I'm building the 9" to replace the D35 because of the engine swap. I don't have a plan yet for the front axle, but this will be mostly street driven. We do get snow.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-04-2020, 04:10 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

What "California Foothills"? I'm assuming somewhere down south since you mentioned mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-04-2020, 05:31 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
I went with a Locker in the front axle and a Detroit LSD in the rear. My application is most around town driving for fun. 4-6 times a year I drive it up to 10,500 ft where I hunt big game. I need to get there in all weather conditions (Snow, Rain, Mud) and the LSD has better on road characteristics than the locker. I have a CJ so when I get off road I lock the hubs and get the benefit of the locker.

I never rock crawl... Not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #12 of 31 Old 06-04-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
What "California Foothills"? I'm assuming somewhere down south since you mentioned mud.
Sonora
post #13 of 31 Old 06-05-2020, 06:40 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Youre building a toy with some HP to play with.

Limited slips suck. There I said it. Some suck more than others. Want fun ? Install a selectable locker.

My comments on using a 9 inch and obviously no stretch isn't what you want to hear. Good luck keeping pinion bearings in it and controlling DS angles/vibrations.
TSEJEEPERS, timatoe and jeepster93 like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-05-2020, 09:18 AM
jeepster93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Youre building a toy with some HP to play with.

Limited slips suck. There I said it. Some suck more than others. Want fun ? Install a selectable locker.

My comments on using a 9 inch and obviously no stretch isn't what you want to hear. Good luck keeping pinion bearings in it and controlling DS angles/vibrations.
This.

I had a ls in my 8.8 and off road it felt open.
Went with selectables and am very satisfied. Even tried automatic lockers for a while, but I live with a snow season and autos and snow are bad.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
This.

I had a ls in my 8.8 and off road it felt open.
Went with selectables and am very satisfied. Even tried automatic lockers for a while, but I live with a snow season and autos and snow are bad.
Yeah the only time I ever even know I have an LSD when off-road is when I'm climbing rocks with a gravel layer on top. Both wheels will spin until the gravel is cleared.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in