ome question - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 04-30-2020, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
ome question

well I sold my k5 project yesterday so I got some extra cash for a lift on the 94yj.i'm looking at ome37r springs and skyjacker 7000 shocks .my question is eventully i'm going to put a hardtop [ I do have ac] on the yj and a winch should I stay with the 37r or should i use the 36r springs i'm not planning on body armor big bumpers or any other heavy items also is it correct that you use the same spring on all 4 corners?.my main use for yj is 60-70% on road and the rest exploring the desert here in northern az

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Same spring on all 4 corners if you like the Jeep to sit level.
How many people will normally be in the Jeep? Big coolers?

36R are not stiff either. Not quite as cushy.
On a scale of 1 and 10. 36R and 37R are still close to each other.

What sized tires are in your plan?

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #3 of 32 Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
just me or 1 other person med cooler maybe lightweight camping gear since the yj has 3.07 gears in it i'm going to stay with 30x9.5x15 tires. in a year or 2 I might switch out gearing to 3.54 or 3.73 biggest tire I would then run 31-32x10.5

post #4 of 32 Old 05-04-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
just ordered springs bushings and shocks for the yj from 4wp should see them in a week
Chrisnvegas likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-04-2020, 01:04 PM
dclifto

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you order the 36 or 37?
post #6 of 32 Old 05-04-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
the 37r and skyjacker 7000s
post #7 of 32 Old 05-04-2020, 01:32 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be a happy Jeeper.
Allow a couple months for everything to break in although it will be nice from the start.

Let us know when you get it. I have a couple techniques that will make the installation easier and faster.
Start using a little penetrating oil, it will have time to soak in. Just a shot on each fastener.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #8 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 10:29 PM
YJ94TX
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
You'll be a happy Jeeper.
Allow a couple months for everything to break in although it will be nice from the start.

Let us know when you get it. I have a couple techniques that will make the installation easier and faster.
Start using a little penetrating oil, it will have time to soak in. Just a shot on each fastener.
Chris, I am planning to go with OME lift for my 94 YJ along with 1" body lift. Will this be enough to run 33s? I have 8.8 rear and D30 with chromolly front. Also, are the skyjacker shocks sold separately? Rocky road and other retailers have the OME kit with Nitrocharger shocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ94TX View Post
Chris, I am planning to go with OME lift for my 94 YJ along with 1" body lift. Will this be enough to run 33s? I have 8.8 rear and D30 with chromolly front. Also, are the skyjacker shocks sold separately? Rocky road and other retailers have the OME kit with Nitrocharger shocks.
yes, 33's will fit fine.
OME 36R about 3"
Body lift 1"
Boom shackles +1/2 to 3/4"

total 4 1/2 plus or minus a little bit.

And no to the OME shocks.
They used to have the best YJ shocks. Then they got cheap (or whatever) and discontinued the soft shocks. Now they have these "sport" shocks which are too stiff. When I say too stiff, that means too stiff for me.
Yes, I'm picky and yes, I like soft.

Wait, let me rephrase.
I'm being pushy.

Some people like a firm ride. If you like a firm ride, the OME shocks are probably going to be a good fit.
If you want a softer ride, they are probably a bit too firm.
They aren't bad shocks, they're a quality monotube shock.

Skyjacker Hydro 7000's are softer. They are a cheaper twin tube shock. They're valved soft. The quality is not as good as Bilstien or the OME Sport shocks.
I don't care, I want soft!

post #10 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 PM
YJ94TX
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes, 33's will fit fine.
OME 36R about 3"
Body lift 1"
Boom shackles +1/2 to 3/4"

total 4 1/2 plus or minus a little bit.

And no to the OME shocks.
They used to have the best YJ shocks. Then they got cheap (or whatever) and discontinued the soft shocks. Now they have these "sport" shocks which are too stiff. When I say too stiff, that means too stiff for me.
Yes, I'm picky and yes, I like soft.

Wait, let me rephrase.
I'm being pushy.

Some people like a firm ride. If you like a firm ride, the OME shocks are probably going to be a good fit.
If you want a softer ride, they are probably a bit too firm.
They aren't bad shocks, they're a quality monotube shock.

Skyjacker Hydro 7000's are softer. They are a cheaper twin tube shock. They're valved soft. The quality is not as good as Bilstien or the OME Sport shocks.
I don't care, I want soft!
LOL. I will definitely go for the soft ones

Do I get the skyjacker shocks with up to 2.5" inch lift? I am guessing the body lift and shackles don't count.

Thanks Chris!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 11:23 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL. I will definitely go for the soft ones

Do I get the skyjacker shocks with up to 2.5" inch lift? I am guessing the body lift and shackles don't count.

Thanks Chris!
The shackles do count, not the body lift.
There is a downside to the Skyjacker shocks which I should point out.
They are soft, but they also fade.
To get them to fade takes some higher speed off road driving. 40 mph across the desert over washboards, whoops and washes for 30 to 40 minutes and they get hot. When they get hot, they fade and the Jeep can bottom with someone in the back seat if I hit a pretty deep whoop.
If I let them cool, they go back to normal. Normal trail riding isn't enough for them to fade.

post #12 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 PM
YJ94TX
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The shackles do count, not the body lift.
There is a downside to the Skyjacker shocks which I should point out.
They are soft, but they also fade.
To get them to fade takes some higher speed off road driving. 40 mph across the desert over washboards, whoops and washes for 30 to 40 minutes and they get hot. When they get hot, they fade and the Jeep can bottom with someone in the back seat if I hit a pretty deep whoop.
If I let them cool, they go back to normal. Normal trail riding isn't enough for them to fade.
Got it. I am not planning on too much offroading.

So you went with 36R (medium duty) instead of 37R (light duty) rear leafs on all 4 corners? Did you also use the OME greasable bushing kit?

post #13 of 32 Old 05-10-2020, 11:58 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got it. I am not planning on too much offroading.

So you went with 36R (medium duty) instead of 37R (light duty) rear leafs on all 4 corners? Did you also use the OME greasable bushing kit?
If you think you're going to end up with 33's, 36R will give a little more height.
They'll also leave a bit more room for accessories like a winch and the heavy 33" spare tire and rack. You're probably going to have a spare right?
The stock tailgate spare carrier is not stout enough for a 33" spare. The tailgate will warp and possibly tear eventually.

Greaseable bushings, yes, I used them at first. Then I wore them out pretty fast. I'm in sand dunes pretty often. Some big sand dunes. You've seen then on TV and movies without knowing where they were.
Land of the Lost movie, the Gobi desert in Close Encounters, Tattoine Star Wars, ect.
Anyway, the sand got into the bushings, the grease held the sand in. You can guess what happened. Replaced them in a year.

For most people, I think they're probably good. Especially water. Being close to Death Valley, water is not an issue, sand is.

If you think you'll be in a lot of dunes, pass on the greaseable. Otherwise they're probably good.

My long answers are because you are spending a lot of money, I understand that. I want to give you as many details as I can.

I think the paint on the OME springs is cheap. Consider spraying them with Rustoleum or some other good paint before tossing them on.

The shocks too.
The shocks come unassembled. Meaning, the boot is not installed and the decal is not installed, and the bushings aren't installed.
people have said the paint on the Skyjackers sucks. I guess they can look rusty in a year. Doesn't happen here in the desert, I'm just repeating what has been said.
Maybe paint those too with a quality white paint then install the decals & stuff.
After spending a lot of money, you want them to look good too right?

post #14 of 32 Old 05-12-2020, 05:21 PM
YJ94TX
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you think you're going to end up with 33's, 36R will give a little more height.
They'll also leave a bit more room for accessories like a winch and the heavy 33" spare tire and rack. You're probably going to have a spare right?
The stock tailgate spare carrier is not stout enough for a 33" spare. The tailgate will warp and possibly tear eventually.

Greaseable bushings, yes, I used them at first. Then I wore them out pretty fast. I'm in sand dunes pretty often. Some big sand dunes. You've seen then on TV and movies without knowing where they were.
Land of the Lost movie, the Gobi desert in Close Encounters, Tattoine Star Wars, ect.
Anyway, the sand got into the bushings, the grease held the sand in. You can guess what happened. Replaced them in a year.

For most people, I think they're probably good. Especially water. Being close to Death Valley, water is not an issue, sand is.

If you think you'll be in a lot of dunes, pass on the greaseable. Otherwise they're probably good.

My long answers are because you are spending a lot of money, I understand that. I want to give you as many details as I can.

I think the paint on the OME springs is cheap. Consider spraying them with Rustoleum or some other good paint before tossing them on.

The shocks too.
The shocks come unassembled. Meaning, the boot is not installed and the decal is not installed, and the bushings aren't installed.
people have said the paint on the Skyjackers sucks. I guess they can look rusty in a year. Doesn't happen here in the desert, I'm just repeating what has been said.
Maybe paint those too with a quality white paint then install the decals & stuff.
After spending a lot of money, you want them to look good too right?
I appreciate your detailed responses! Looks like you are having a lot of fun on the sand dunes. The closest we have to sand here are the gulf coast beaches. Hopefully, I can take my Jeep there once I am done with the build.

Yes, I will be going with a rear bumper with tire carrier to hold my 33" spare. I am also going to do the drop-down conversion using a CJ7 tailgate.

Will definitely paint the springs and shocks.

Thanks again!

post #15 of 32 Old 05-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I appreciate your detailed responses! Looks like you are having a lot of fun on the sand dunes. The closest we have to sand here are the gulf coast beaches. Hopefully, I can take my Jeep there once I am done with the build.

Yes, I will be going with a rear bumper with tire carrier to hold my 33" spare. I am also going to do the drop-down conversion using a CJ7 tailgate.

Will definitely paint the springs and shocks.

Thanks again!
Keep us posted. Take some pictures.
We love reading about Jeeps and looking at Jeep stuff.
YJ94TX likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in