Old Man Emu 2.5" - Adding the extra leaf - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Old Man Emu 2.5" - Adding the extra leaf

What should I expect if I add a leaf to the Old Man Emu 2.5" OMECS036R springs? Does it just give extra load carrying capacity or will I get a bit taller? It looks like the part number is OMED23XL but it is really hard to find any information on them online. I found one European site which said they were for the medium duty CS014F springs. But I don't see why they wouldn't work with the OMECS036R.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-02-2021, 02:25 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
“Technically” any arched spring has energy so it will add some lift/height to whatever springs they get added to. You need to know it’s defection under X load and add that to your current spring rate to make a guess. Even then there’s more calcs to it actually. Every spring deflects a little for every pound it bears.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 AM
eodjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in this too. Can anyone who has done an add a leaf sound off?

post #4 of 16 Old 05-06-2021, 08:00 AM
Whitfimb

Adding a leaf will increase the spring rate and decrease ride quality. Short leaves are much stiffer than longer ones. It is going to be difficult to change the engineered design of your OME pack (gaining lift height) and get the expected ride quality results. You may be best served to sell your new pack and buy the designed solution you are after as most everything else (modifying) will be a compromise. ~ I say this as if I were to modify my OME rear pack it would make my brain itch for the duration until I fixed it with new stuff ~ My only other option would be to have a local spring shop try to bend (re-arch) a factory leaf or two and swap them in place (preserving my original unmodified OME set). Long ago in the 80's & 90's folks would bend stock leaves in their garage with a simple hydraulic press. Yes, this is not the ideal solution and yes it will weaken the spring but for some, it worked to accomplish the end goal with in the parameters they were chasing. (There is a whole debate on how to bend (re-arch) springs correctly).
post #5 of 16 Old 05-07-2021, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfimb View Post
Adding a leaf will increase the spring rate and decrease ride quality. Short leaves are much stiffer than longer ones. It is going to be difficult to change the engineered design of your OME pack (gaining lift height) and get the expected ride quality results. You may be best served to sell your new pack and buy the designed solution you are after as most everything else (modifying) will be a compromise. ....
Except that I'm adding an OME spring, not something I got from JC Whitney's. Presumably the OME engineers had some input into this.

Maybe I'm wrong trying to run 35s with the OME 2.5 lift but I know my other choice, the BDS 3.5 would be taller than my existing sagging springs and I don't like how tall she's gotten over the years. Besides, 35s will fit on anything if you have a friend with a plasma cutter.

bruinjeeper likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 PM
JarheadAl

Here's a thread from awhile back about this

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...stion-3001113/
NotThePainter likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-08-2021, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
Here's a thread from awhile back about this

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...stion-3001113/
Good read, thanks! I got worried halfway through when somebody said to not run the rears up front, but the OP called ARB and said that that was the way to go and the add a leafs were also the way to go.

I didn't find that thread when searching because I had the part number wrong!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, lots of presumed info out there. You are correct OP that the OME engineers likely know best how their product will perform with the added leave.

You mention sagging springs. I`d bet the addition of another OME leave would help. How much ? Well, that depends on which leave your replacing. Rule of thumb is that as you go up in spring length the more impact it has on the overall package. The lower leaves act more as "supports" to the next leave above than effect load rating. Exception would be dual rate spring like those found in pick up trucks.

Might want to ask what the spring thickness is. Its possible to play mix and match with spring lengths and thicknesses to achieve final goals.

To generically class springs is outright wrong. There is simply too many variables. Case in point, wanted a bit of height in the rear but didn't want the stiffness. Deaver suggested I add between the 4th and 5th spring down. That gave me the height and my butt says the ride quality didn't change. In fact it might be better. Another time I wanted more stiffness and height. The top two leaves were replaced with slightly thicker leaves and the results were found.

Shackle angles play a big part in performances. Leaf sprung suspension has squat, roll center, roll axis's just like coils do. If you want to dig deeper there is even spring frequencies to play with.

In your case a call to OME to find out the specs wouldn't be a bad idea. For that matter you "could" replace a leave with a generic one that is slightly thicker. For lords sake, don't re-arch springs. That is backyard hack that seldom works the way you want it to.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-09-2021, 06:38 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my OME kit years ago, the rear springs already had the extra leaf in them. After adding a tube front bumper and a winch, the front was noticeably lower than the rear.
I bought the extra spring a year or so after originally installing the lift. I installed it and it leveled it back out. While it has been may years ago I did this, I do not remember it really changing anything as far as ride quality or flex.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
When I bought my OME kit years ago, the rear springs already had the extra leaf in them. After adding a tube front bumper and a winch, the front was noticeably lower than the rear.
I bought the extra spring a year or so after originally installing the lift. I installed it and it leveled it back out. While it has been may years ago I did this, I do not remember it really changing anything as far as ride quality or flex.
Here's what I have for my OMECS036R, it sure looks like one more leaf will fit.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-09-2021, 10:31 AM
eodjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This answers my questions as well. I've considered several options to help with my sagging stock springs but I don't want a lift, or bigger tires, until I swap in my 3.8. I had also wondered if the "bastard pack" S10 spring leaf could be a thicker spring "replacement" instead of an additional spring. In the short term I just don't need to be harshing up the ride too much. My YJ rides WAY better than my old CJ5 and Samurai...

Thank for putting this out there OP.
NotThePainter likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-31-2021, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They arrived today!

Does anybody know what to do with them? Add them to the top, bottom, removing one of the springs? If I add it, will I need a longer pin? I would think so.

They're not even unwrapped, I just got them, but I need to head out to dinner and hit the driveway early tomorrow morning! So thanks!
post #13 of 16 Old 08-01-2021, 06:25 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They go directly under the main leaf.
When I did mine, I did not need a longer bolt, as the one that came in my spring pack was long enough.
Just make sure you have some good C-clamps and if you have never disassembled a spring pack, make sure you know what you are doing. I'm sure someone out there has got to have a youtube video showing how to do it.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-01-2021, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
They go directly under the main leaf.
When I did mine, I did not need a longer bolt, as the one that came in my spring pack was long enough.
Just make sure you have some good C-clamps and if you have never disassembled a spring pack, make sure you know what you are doing. I'm sure someone out there has got to have a youtube video showing how to do it.
Uhhh, so which one is the main leaf? I'd guess it is the one that has the eyes that attach to the shackles.

No, I've disassembled one! Thanks for the heads up. I'll head over to you tube before I go to the work bench.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-01-2021, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
Uhhh, so which one is the main leaf? I'd guess it is the one that has the eyes that attach to the shackles.

No, I've disassembled one! Thanks for the heads up. I'll head over to you tube before I go to the work bench.
Leaf springs are made up of a main leaf, with eyes on each end that hold bushings and bolt to the vehicle.
That's from https://www.4wheelparts.com/the-dirt...-leaf-springs/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in