3Likes
  • 1 Post By Luuca
  • 2 Post By bpounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-24-2021, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
play2win

Oil Pan Hanging

1988 YJ 2.5, 5 Speed

Starter was getting very weak, oil pan had a little hole that PO repaired who knows how long ago, and it is rusted out...so I figured I would replace both today. Took the starter out, removed all the bolts for oil pan, it finally came out...but not really. The front dangled down, and it appears it is stuck on the lip of what I guess is the clutch dust cover? I'm guessing this has to be removed....took the two small bolts out on the top, but I have not been able to budge the 2 18mm bolts from the bottom. Maybe I'm not supposed to touch those that go through the bell housing?...but after a few hours of trying to jostle this oil pan in every direction without being too rough with it bc of oil pump, etc - it looks like it will not clear this lip on the clutch/dust cover. I used a pipe wrench on the 18mm nut while holding a 18mm wrench on bolt side - I gotta be missing something here!
Been through the forums the entire evening - haven't found anything on this, any ideas?
I attached a pic of the two bolts that seem to be holding the dust cover in place which is preventing the oil pan from coming out

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Never seen this. Usually it comes right off - the oil pan. That said, Im only knowledgeable on 91+ YJs

EDIT: I think if you get those two lower bolts, it may come off if it is a half-shield for inspections like on the AX-15.

You can simply CUT those bolts off and replace them. They are not all that important.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 15 Old 07-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's not being held on by a bit of stubborn RTV? There should be nothing on the dust cover that protrudes. Should just drop right down.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-25-2021, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
play2win

Usually when there are a pair of 18mm bolts through a casting, they have to have some kind of importance - curious if anyone has a shop manual speaking of what I explained? There is def a lip on the dust cover pictured, and there is a lip/groove on the oil pan (the new one as well) - so it is def hung up on there. From what I have read, it looks like the 6 cylinder and anything 91' are different from the first gen 4 cyl YJ's
post #5 of 15 Old 07-25-2021, 12:53 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by play2win View Post
Usually when there are a pair of 18mm bolts through a casting, they have to have some kind of importance
Those hold the dust cover on. That's it. As you can see.
Awesome likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #6 of 15 Old 07-25-2021, 02:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

have you tried a soft mallet BFH on the oil pan yet? tapping it, thumping it?

Perhaps with all the rust and corrosion i can see in that photo, it's just a little seized. Give it a couple good shots from the very front and very back, it may drop right out.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #7 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 05:26 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m assuming you’re using an 18mm wrench, not trying to loosen 18mm bolts!

Anyway, you could have missed some oil pan bolts. There’s two in the rear that are hard to see, hard to get at. Confirm you have as many bolts/nuts removed as there are holes in the new oil pan.

Once that’s out of the way, since the oil pan is a deader, *I* would lower the front as you have and stuff a couple somethings in at the rear as a fulcrum and push up on the front of the pan.
It sounds like adhesion from the gasket sealer around the rear main seal to me. Sometimes you have to jack the frame (with sagged stock springs) to get a little droop for pan removal.

It is possible those inspection cover bolts are hanging you up but I’ve never had that issue myself.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
play2win

Thanks for all the chiming in.....like I mentioned, the oil pan was hanging free. I had to go to Harbor Freight, buy an impact gun - 18mm impact socket, and after f'ing around with this for the better part of Sat/Sun - it came right out with the gun. I will try to post some pics so other people with Gen 1 4 cylinder YJ's can see. Downloaded a manual, and followed the sequence for re-installing. The dust cover has a lip that the oil pan hangs on (which has its own groove a rear main side). There is also a retaining clip that surrounds this section as well. One of the worst parts was removing the 33 year old gasket on engine side....
post #9 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 12:02 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Aren't those huge bolts through nothing but sheet metal the stupidest thing ever? They did the same thing on the 4.2L.

timatoe and Awesome like this.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by play2win View Post
Thanks for all the chiming in.....like I mentioned, the oil pan was hanging free. I had to go to Harbor Freight, buy an impact gun - 18mm impact socket, and after f'ing around with this for the better part of Sat/Sun - it came right out with the gun. I will try to post some pics so other people with Gen 1 4 cylinder YJ's can see. Downloaded a manual, and followed the sequence for re-installing. The dust cover has a lip that the oil pan hangs on (which has its own groove a rear main side). There is also a retaining clip that surrounds this section as well. One of the worst parts was removing the 33 year old gasket on engine side....
Interesting. You could grind that lip off before you replace the dust cover. No reason for it to be there.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 02:44 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the dust cover on my AX-15 / 4.2 does the same thing and the pan hangs up. I just wiggle it until it falls off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Interesting. You could grind that lip off before you replace the dust cover. No reason for it to be there.
That lip is there for a reason. Beads, lips, and other contours are what give flat steel stamped things their strength and ability to hold their shape. Do a little winter driving in deep nasty snow for long distances like we do to get to work in Michigan. Snow and slush packs into places that you warm weather guys probably do not comprehend. Remember, water is the freak of nature. It expands when it gets colder as in when it freezes. That is when these shields start to make contact with torque converter bolts, the flywheel, etc. It really does happen at times. Removing them or altering them is not the answer. Just get the two big bolts out and be done which he already did.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
That lip is there for a reason. Beads, lips, and other contours are what give flat steel stamped things their strength and ability to hold their shape. Do a little winter driving in deep nasty snow for long distances like we do to get to work in Michigan. Snow and slush packs into places that you warm weather guys probably do not comprehend. Remember, water is the freak of nature. It expands when it gets colder as in when it freezes. That is when these shields start to make contact with torque converter bolts, the flywheel, etc. It really does happen at times. Removing them or altering them is not the answer. That will cause a no start by too much snow around the flywheel or you starter is frozen. Just get the two big bolts out and be done which he already did.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 01:57 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
water…expands when it gets colder as in when it freezes
Ha! Not true!!! Not true!!

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
water…expands when it gets colder as in when it freezes
Ha! Not true!!! Not true!!
🍿😇

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in